Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Dirt

Old 01-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R
Default 2008 Kx450F or Yz450F?

I'm pretty sure I'm selling the Buell and picking up either one of those. Does anybody have experience with either and if so, what did you think?

Is this just a case of "pick which one looks nicest" because they're practically the same? Or are there known problems with either?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

The first thing I'd ask is how much dirt experience do you have? I generally wouldn't recommend a 450 for a beginning rider. In fact, I wouldn't ever, lol.

The KX generally tends have much more power on tap, but there are certain areas where it would "suffer" to the YZ. I think handling was one of them. Granted if you have the money and can set them up for your abilities, you won't really experience a difference.

As for general issues I can't think of any that come to mind, but if you're getting a used dirtbike there's always lots of things to look at.

BTW are you dead set on 08s? Because the KX450 came with fuel injection in 2009 along with the Honda 450 and from what I hear the FI on dirtbikes is the fucking tits.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

I don't actually plan on racing motocross. The majority of my time will be spent dicking around on logging roads. I would prefer the wr or similar Kawi. But, I intend on buying from a shop I like and trust and I'm going by what used stock they have.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I don't actually plan on racing motocross. The majority of my time will be spent dicking around on logging roads. I would prefer the wr or similar Kawi. But, I intend on buying from a shop I like and trust and I'm going by what used stock they have.
Then a trailbike would be best suited for your needs. Not a MX'er.

Aside from the bullshit annoyance of the kickstart, you won't have to keep up meticulous maintenance you should be doing. Plus a trailbike should offer a little more comfort.

Are you going to be hauling ass on it or just using it to get around? I'd go with a 250f simply through trees n such because it'll be lighter than a 450, but if you really need the power - stick with that then.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
Then a trailbike would be best suited for your needs. Not a MX'er.

Aside from the bullshit annoyance of the kickstart, you won't have to keep up meticulous maintenance you should be doing. Plus a trailbike should offer a little more comfort.

Are you going to be hauling ass on it or just using it to get around? I'd go with a 250f simply through trees n such because it'll be lighter than a 450, but if you really need the power - stick with that then.
I spent most of my life riding through the bush on quads and mx'ers and dual purpose/trail bikes.

It's mainly going to be for short jaunts on some trails and screwing around with a buddy of mine.

The power isn't a need, but it is a definite want.

I've been reading reviews and the consensus seems to be that the Yami is a little down on power but handles well. But, I don't think I'd notice it missing any power. It supposedly has very little hours and belonged to the owner of the shop. The salesman says he never rode it much. I'm leaning toward that at the moment.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Quote:
I spent most of my life riding through the bush on quads and mx'ers and dual purpose/trail bikes.

It's mainly going to be for short jaunts on some trails and screwing around with a buddy of mine.

The power isn't a need, but it is a definite want.

I've been reading reviews and the consensus seems to be that the Yami is a little down on power but handles well. But, I don't think I'd notice it missing any power. It supposedly has very little hours and belonged to the owner of the shop. The salesman says he never rode it much. I'm leaning toward that at the moment.
As long as you've actually ridden offroad, that's fine. I just worry about people who jump right on a 450 and think they can hit a triple no prob and then wind up with broken bones or worse.

By down on power they mean 1 to 2.5hp - which in the world of sub-250lb bikes can make a difference if you're racing, but not for what you want it for. And even then, a slip-on pipe and the right gearing would put the YZ ahead of the KX with the same rider.

Really it's just what color scheme you like better.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

The yzf has more hp than any human in the known universe can possibly handle. The kx has slightly more.

Pick your favorite color.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
CasterTroy

Quote:
I don't actually plan on racing motocross. The majority of my time will be spent dicking around on logging roads..
Then DO NOT under ANY circumstance get a 450 of ANY flavor!

I got my 450 to ride supermoto and to occationally ride in the woods with my son.

I'm now looking for a 250 to ride with the boy because riding a 450 on even a fire road is like cutting a Christmas turkey with a STIHL 880 Chainsaw

I kid you not, the 450 is STOOPIDLY overpowered and you CAN NOT keep the front wheel on the ground in any gear.

I'm a big guy, and even leaned over the handlebars I get lift in ANY GEAR. Even when I'm geared for motard days (15f 42r) and have a top speed of 105

Look for a 4 stroke 250 for trails and logging roads, and I promise you that you'll be more than happy
Old 01-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

I can't beat the deal I'm getting. If nothing falls through, I should have a '10 Kx450f for $2200 off sticker and only $1000 off of the price of used 08's.

Edit: Does it really do over 100mph???
Old 01-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I can't beat the deal I'm getting. If nothing falls through, I should have a '10 Kx450f for $2200 off sticker and only $1000 off of the price of used 08's.

Edit: Does it really do over 100mph???
If it is geared right and done up as a supermoto it should. Again, with proper gearing I don't see a reason why a 450 set up for dirt wouldn't, though with that small front brake and dirt tires I can think of a few reasons why one shouldn't.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote