Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #21
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
remember when you get the track take off tires... to get their knee pucks also...
I normaly just have a friend tow me behind a truck to scrape them up. Didn't work so well when I tried it with shorts.

I found a decent size culdesac that was in an industrial center. it's somewhat off the road and you can see burnout marks from where people leaving a Truck Customs store well burnout in their custom trucks. Fairly clean and slightly angled.

I messed around with it some but I didn't think about it until after I ate some dinner at a restaurant nearbye and didn't want to try too much with cold tires. Especially with my Pilot Race Take Off that does not like to hook up when cold.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 PM   #22
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I'm concered about my street cred for Bike Nights. That is my main concern.

Which is why I buy used racing gear, track take offs and I drug my boots along the ground to make it look like I was peg scraping.

Plus lots of Chrome and Polish so others know I can ride fast.

Appreciate all the info guys. Just need some parking lot time and hopefully one day some track time.
Might I recommend actually doing a trackday and taking some personal time with an instructor rather than reading about it and practicing what you THINK you understood on an online forum.

Bad habits are the worst thing to try and break.

Last week I had an Army Ranger at the track for the first time. He has been riding a total of three months, most of them before he went to Iraq a year ago. He was scraping knee by the end of the day.

FWIW, scraping a knee isn't the entire point of riding well at the track. It's about being smooth, being predictable, managing your bike and corning well. For some, that includes hanging off the bike like a monkey. Forget about your knee... work on everything else. Especially if you aren't going to be riding at the track. Because, scraping a knee does not belong on the street.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #23
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Might I recommend actually doing a trackday and taking some personal time with an instructor rather than reading about it and practicing what you THINK you understood on an online forum.

Bad habits are the worst thing to try and break.

Last week I had an Army Ranger at the track for the first time. He has been riding a total of three months, most of them before he went to Iraq a year ago. He was scraping knee by the end of the day.

FWIW, scraping a knee isn't the entire point of riding well at the track. It's about being smooth, being predictable, managing your bike and corning well. For some, that includes hanging off the bike like a monkey. Forget about your knee... work on everything else. Especially if you aren't going to be riding at the track. Because, scraping a knee does not belong on the street.

zoom... it was sarcasam... Smittie knows better... he's just being facaecious

edit... for the post you quoted he was being sarcastic... but your adivce sounds like its more for the origional post... my bad

Last edited by Mr Lefty; 03-27-2008 at 09:12 PM..
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #24
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:

zoom... it was sarcasam... Smittie knows better... he's just being facaecious
Well, thank fucking god.......

I wish I had our instructional pictures to post... the first picture is of a guy at the track looking at his knee going through the corner, second in the series is running off the track, third is flying through the air.

*phew*

I love it when people work on just getting a knee down...

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #25
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Well, thank fucking god.......

I wish I had our instructional pictures to post... the first picture is of a guy at the track looking at his knee going through the corner, second in the series is running off the track, third is flying through the air.

*phew*

I love it when people work on just getting a knee down...
you most DEFINATLY need to get those photos posted up here! for a laugh but also for the informational aspect!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #26
azoomm
moderator chick

Quote:
you most DEFINATLY need to get those photos posted up here! for a laugh but also for the informational aspect!
Just for you man... I'll work on it JUST for you

I just, holy crap... it wasn't his post so much as the rest after it. I was just horribly confused and kind of skeeerd. Someone hold me. Wait, scratch that.

Come Play at the Track!!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #27
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Quote:
Just for you man... I'll work on it JUST for you

I just, holy crap... it wasn't his post so much as the rest after it. I was just horribly confused and kind of skeeerd. Someone hold me. Wait, scratch that.

yeah gotta watch it... you'll end up with OSP holding you... upside down... with his face burried in....
Old 03-29-2008, 11:06 PM   #28
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
yeah gotta watch it... you'll end up with OSP holding you... upside down... with his face burried in....
That's how I roll.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #29
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I'm not too concerned with scraping a knee. Hell the only reason I leave the knee pucks on my pants is becuase I feel like it will be more protection in a crash. I'm wanting to work more on my technique than anything else. If my knee touches the ground I'll be happy because but I know a knee on the ground isn't everything.

Right now I don't really have the cash for a track day. I'm about to start a new job(I hope) that actually pays less but has better hours(And Saturday's off). In which I plan to go to night school for the next 4+ years along with some Saturday classes if available.

Nor do I know how to prep my bike for track. Also tracks(Atleast the one I live near which is Road Atlanta) require Race Compound tires in good condition. So I'm having trouble wanting to spend $400+ just for track tires that won't be good later on.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to do a track day and if I'm not dead somehow in the next year or so I will get a track day in some shape or form(Even if I have to jump my bike over hte fence) For now I want to get my technique close as I can since I don't know any better riders than me. I'm not saying I'm good but I don't know many experienced riders much less ones that I trust know what they are doing and want to help me out.

Which when I do some parking lot practice I'll get someone to film me and take pictures and people can point out what I'm doing wrong. WHich could help greatly.

But again the advice has been excellent and has helped me with turns I have been on everyday since i've been riding.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:04 AM   #30
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Check out some of the threads in the Track section... I think Zortness made one on how to prep your bike for the track...

never mind found it for ya

http://twowheelfix.com/showthread.php?t=237