Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S
Default Painting questions.

I have to save my money in case we move here soon. So I've decided my only option is to rattle can it. I want to take my time, put multiple coats on it and then wet-sand it. Here's some questions.

1. Do I start to wet-sand once the coat is completely dry?
2. What grit of paper should I use?
3. What's the best paint I should use (because the plastics have to flex, I don't want the paint to crack)?

That's all the questions I have for now. I'm sure I'll have more.

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Id probably use a couple different sand papers on it. Start with something like a 220 or finer and then get finer as you go in order to get the smoothest finish. As far as paint goes, the one that flexs the most is latex, but most spray paints are oil based. I know that Rustoleum has a paint made specific for plastic that would probably work well or they have one line that is called Painters Touch that is a latex spray paint.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:27 AM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

1. Yes
2. 600 grit or similar is what I would use
3. Krylon Fusion or something like it... No primer needed on plastics with that shit...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

here... I bookmarked this a while back..
http://www.cbrforum.com/m_484838/tm.htm

should help a bit
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
jalaan1
orangina Zed

Moto: '12 Z1000

good info to know, gonna do one of my lowers in about a week or so.

rattle can also.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:47 AM   #6
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

are you talkin bout your track plastics/fiberglass, or your street stuff?
Dnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:53 AM   #7
DLIT
Clit Commander

My track 'glass. I actually dropped it off to a guy from a local forum to paint it. Little ghost flame action in a couple spots.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:14 AM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I know you're trying to save money but if you know ANYONE in the bodyshop biz and especially if you're willing to wait or aren't picky with color. I've gotten a whole bike painted for $60 before. I would at least check into it. It seems alot of shops will do it cheap because it's a change of pace,someone there rides or something. Just tell them you'll bring in the parts ready for paint and as long as you're not color fussy and have time to wait and will buff it out yourself,the most time consuming part of the process,btw. I'll bet you can get a deal. Heck if you do it yourself,you'll spend $100 in supplys,not to mention ALOT of time. Note,try going in the back and asking a peon,you may get lucky and they'll do it on the side. FYI I got all of the white parts of my bike,including the rims,which he broke down dis/remounted and balanced the tires,in pearl white. Plus he did the white stripe on the tank and re-clear coated it. Total job $140. Oh did I mention that he picked up the bike,took the parts off the bike,painted them and reinstalled them and then delivered the bike back to me when it was done? Heck,I gave him an extra $20! He makes $10 an hour at the body shop,he worked on my bike on a Sat for about 8 hours.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:18 AM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I know you're trying to save money but if you know ANYONE in the bodyshop biz and especially if you're willing to wait or aren't picky with color. I've gotten a whole bike painted for $60 before. I would at least check into it. It seems alot of shops will do it cheap because it's a change of pace,someone there rides or something. Just tell them you'll bring in the parts ready for paint and as long as you're not color fussy and have time to wait and will buff it out yourself,the most time consuming part of the process,btw. I'll bet you can get a deal. Heck if you do it yourself,you'll spend $100 in supplys,not to mention ALOT of time. Note,try going in the back and asking a peon,you may get lucky and they'll do it on the side. FYI I got all of the white parts of my bike,including the rims,which he broke down dis/remounted and balanced the tires,in pearl white. Plus he did the white stripe on the tank and re-clear coated it. Total job $140. Oh did I mention that he picked up the bike,took the parts off the bike,painted them and reinstalled them and then delivered the bike back to me when it was done? Heck,I gave him an extra $20! He makes $10 an hour at the body shop,he worked on my bike on a Sat for about 8 hours.
if you can hook a brother up I'd ship my shit to ya next winter and get it painted while my bike is getting powdercoated...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:02 AM   #10
DLIT
Clit Commander

I already dropped them off and paid half. I'm very excited to see how it'll look.