Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I honestly think new 600s are more forgiving than 650s. 650s are like on and off switches. At low power/low speeds, like you would be in normal traffic, you have a very twitchy bike on a 650, add to that shitty suspension. This is not the best way to learn.

On a modern 600, low speed/low power, the bike is very slow to rev up and go in comparison to the 650. It's not til you hit the high up powerband that it becomes a racer. It's harder for newbies to keep it in the powerband. Plus, you got a much better suspension/brakes. If you get a Honda, don't know if other manufacturers do this yet or not, but you can get ABS and steering damper stock.

I don't see the point to bash 600s, but give passes to 650s.
I would disagree, I owned an SV650 as my first real bike, and the throttle was milquetoast in terms of response. I don't see how you think it would be twitchy.

The reason 600's are bad is because the high redline and the high torque curve is like a drug, it encourages guys to see if they can reach it, and by the time they've reached it, they're going 90-100 mph, and can't brake in time to avoid hitting something.

The other reason 600's are bad is because the riding position forces newbies to waste time figuring out how to use their muscles to brace themselves and stay comfortable, rather than relaxing and learning how to ride.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #22
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I would disagree, I owned an SV650 as my first real bike, and the throttle was milquetoast in terms of response. I don't see how you think it would be twitchy.

The reason 600's are bad is because the high redline and the high torque curve is like a drug, it encourages guys to see if they can reach it, and by the time they've reached it, they're going 90-100 mph, and can't brake in time to avoid hitting something.

The other reason 600's are bad is because the riding position forces newbies to waste time figuring out how to use their muscles to brace themselves and stay comfortable, rather than relaxing and learning how to ride.
Not to mention that slow speed maneuvers are harder on a SS and it is nearly impossible to turn the bars full lock because of clip on position.

I'm not one to tell people which bike to start on but saying that a 600RR is an easier bike to learn on than an SV or ER, Gladius, etc is ridiculous.