Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #41
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Did you ever just look at bikes, and say to yourself you have the technology!?! just use that frame, with this engine, with that stuff and this stuff and you have what I really want! But alas they make what the masses want, not what you need
I know, right?

To keep it ultra simple, Suzuki just needs to update the DRZ400S. Better tranny, EFI (optional), better suspension. Do that and I'm in!
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #42
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I wouldn't put the KLR in the same weight class as a 800GS. GS has 60 lbs on the KLR dry... I don't think the KLR would be that bad for what you are doing honestly. It's got pretty much what you want, except being new design.

I don't see the DRZ as ever being a reliable 500-600 mile bike ever. I know ebbs did it, but the bike is just not meant for that kind of distance. Which is why his went kaput. It's also why I sold mine. It's a crappy dirt bike and crappy dual sport. It just does everything mediocre, it doesn't really excell at anything.

I think your best hope is for Yamaha to bring over the 660 Tenere. It's heavier like the KLR, but it's not V-strom/800GS heavy. I think you would actually enjoy this one for the type of riding you want to do...
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #43
jtemple
Geek

I did do a 2500+ mile trip through Colorado last year on the Husky and couldn't have asked for a better bike for it (aside from the wind blast while riding across Nebraska, that sucked). But, like I said, 2500 miles is a lot for this bike. If I had to guess, at 9100 on the odometer, I'm 1/3 of the way to rebuild time.

It's a new engine design on a bike that was only made for one year. So, right now, nobody really knows. I have one of the highest mileage TE630s on the forums. I'm kind of blazing a trail!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #44
jtemple
Geek

This would all be much simpler if I'd just go back to street riding.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #45
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
This would all be much simpler if I'd just go back to street riding.
That's why I like the bigger bikes, you can still street ride and not be lacking on power on the interstate.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #46
jtemple
Geek

I guess it's a non-issue right now. I have put too much money into modding the Husky. I have to keep it until it dies, if I want to stay married.

Who knows, maybe it'll last a good long time. If it does, then this is the bike I want, anyway.