Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Best Way To Tour

At a CBR forum I belong to, some riders from southern Texas wanted to ride the mountains near Denver. I said I would show them some of my favorite twisties. Three riders showed up in a pick-up truck pulling a trailer with three bikes on it. I thought that was a stupid way to ride. Now with the Buell trouble with Drewpy and friends, I think trailering bikes across the heartland is a great idea.

With three people in the pick-up, they can alternate driving and sleeping. The bikes, tires, and riders are refreshed. If a bike breaks down, it can be trailered. If it snows, or you have to cross the snow-covered Divide, you can trailer the bikes. You can set up a base camp at Denver and ride every twisty road. There are some great roads that end in gravel roads. The bikes could be trailered then. The driving of the truck could be alternated, or done by a spouse.

If I was going to travel a thousand miles, heck even 500 miles, I would rent a motorhome and trailer, and trailer the bike. Then you can hit the twisties, or coast roads without camping gear, tents, food, sleeping bags, etc. strapped to the bike. I can't stand riding two miles on straight interstate, let alone hundreds or thousands of miles.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote