Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage
Default Wow

Ok guys, sorry i've been gone all day, I see I missed alot! To answer your questions yes i am 20, i have good credit, and minimal money... lol

Jojoyzf- The dealer in northern ohio is Powersports360 (formerly J & J) in Port Clinton, about an hour drive from cleveland on Rt 2. They have another location by the lake too. And yes State 8's prices are rediculous. But my thoughts exactly on the bike thats already been dropped, Less emotional!

Dnyce- The dealer in PA is Addams Auto Cycle. They specialize in slightly rashed bikes. The Triumph is extremely nice... one slight problem though... the bike is red and the tail is silver. I kinda like it tho... Buckeye colors. I'm gonna take shit for that one...

Onesickpsycho- Where at in Columbus?? The kawasaki card is just like all the dealer cards. High interest rate about 17%, my friend has $149 a month min payment. The funny thing tho is that he has a Suzuki Card and bought a Yamaha on it. Yes he can buy gear on the card at the dealership, or use it for service/maintinace. But thanks for all the information, it seems like the general consensus on all the forums is to carefully do 0% CCs and then balance transfer to a new card at the end of the year.

NoWorries- Why would I want an 18 year old bike?? Many people have told me that sport bikes get finickey with age and miles. I mean i know its my starter bike, but why would i want to throw more into maintinance than cost??? Oh... and I know way more about bikes and maintinace than my friends... its just they have the wallets and willing parents to let them buy one....

PS- has anybody owned/rode an older Z1000?? I saw one in the parking lot today... looked way more comfortable than the SS's, and pretty sweet for a naked!!
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

by buying an 18 year old bike 1 you aren't in debt... 2 they're easier to work on and you'll learn how to it yourself. 3. you aren't in debt!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Onesickpsycho- Where at in Columbus?? The kawasaki card is just like all the dealer cards. High interest rate about 17%, my friend has $149 a month min payment. The funny thing tho is that he has a Suzuki Card and bought a Yamaha on it. Yes he can buy gear on the card at the dealership, or use it for service/maintinace. But thanks for all the information, it seems like the general consensus on all the forums is to carefully do 0% CCs and then balance transfer to a new card at the end of the year.

NoWorries- Why would I want an 18 year old bike?? Many people have told me that sport bikes get finickey with age and miles. I mean i know its my starter bike, but why would i want to throw more into maintinance than cost??? Oh... and I know way more about bikes and maintinace than my friends... its just they have the wallets and willing parents to let them buy one....

PS- has anybody owned/rode an older Z1000?? I saw one in the parking lot today... looked way more comfortable than the SS's, and pretty sweet for a naked!!
I lived on Tompkins St for 6 years or so... first up by Summit, then down by High. Before that I lived on the east side near Refugee and Hamilton Rd... you know, where they find bodies and shit (Walnut Glen). I've routinely been thrown out of the old Outlands and my favorite bars are the dirty nasty ones like The Stube (between Cousin's and 14-0) and O'Reilly's (across from Giant Eagle on N. High)... I miss PJ's subs...

Again... The CC thing is not a bad plan, but you cannot fuck around with it. If you dick off and lose track of it, you WILL get fucked...

As far as the old bikes are concerned, they can be rock solid machines. You just have to know what to look for... find/take someone who does.

Z1k's are probably not the best choice for noobs, but they are good bikes. Little has changed with them mechanically through the years from what I remember.

Personally, I'd look for an older SS... like something 10 or so years old... They can be had for a song, look decent (unless someone REALLY knows bikes, they'll have NO IDEA how old it is), and if you dump it, it'll be much less of a big deal. Also too, depending on your experience anything over 650cc might be a little much for you.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #4
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4
Default Jmvho

...couple of things.

A. You haven't told us about your experience; you are showing an R6 in you avi line, but say you don't own a bike......mebbe you might want to try something a little more forgiving than a Z1000 for starters....

B. I know you don't wanna hear it, but 17% interest IS high interest and you'll be payin that bad boy off for years. The average biker changes bikes every 30 or months....which means you're gonna be upside down when you go to trade/sell down the road.

C. NoWorries is right: first bike; buy a good, inexpensive used bike. I am familar with Addams...their bikes are all salvage/rebuilt titled bikes which means the resale value will not be there; which is OK if you are going to pay cash and ride it till the wheels fall off, but not so hot if you plan on riding for a year or two and then try to resell or trade and still owe money....you are going to find yourself upside down again...

D. Careful shopping netted my co-worker a cherry '95 750 Honda with 2500 miles on it for $1200 dollars and he's ridden the wheels off it this summer. I found an 04 R6 this spring for 3k and a 99 Superhawk with 4000 miles for $2700.....bargains abound, you just need a sharp eye and some patience.

Unless you are made of money, in which case, go straight to the Desmosedici and jump right in.....
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Ok guys, sorry i've been gone all day, I see I missed alot! To answer your questions yes i am 20, i have good credit, and minimal money... lol

Jojoyzf- The dealer in northern ohio is Powersports360 (formerly J & J) in Port Clinton, about an hour drive from cleveland on Rt 2. They have another location by the lake too. And yes State 8's prices are rediculous. But my thoughts exactly on the bike thats already been dropped, Less emotional!

Dnyce- The dealer in PA is Addams Auto Cycle. They specialize in slightly rashed bikes. The Triumph is extremely nice... one slight problem though... the bike is red and the tail is silver. I kinda like it tho... Buckeye colors. I'm gonna take shit for that one...

I dont think Ive ever been in there, but I know where youre talking about.

Im not too sure Id go with the rashed place just based off of what OTB said unless you know exactly why those bikes have salvage titles. Rash is no big deal but salvage could be anything from a scratched frame to totaled and everything in between. Like the others said, pay attention to what OTB says when it comes to finding/buying used bikes. I believe he even had a post a little while back just about that. Try searching for it and it should be pretty helpful for you.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote