Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Touring

Old 01-05-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I like the idea, but what if you want to camp on the beach, an open expanse of rock, or anywhere else that doesn't have trees or posts? Where do you put all your gear? Seems more appropriate for hiking than motorcycling.

I'm digging this, but not the $400 price tag:

The Ténéré Expedition Tent™

This one is probably lower quality, but I actually prefer the design, and it's half the price:

The Biker Tent™

I like the idea of sheltering the motorcycle, too. I used to wheel my bike into motel rooms whenever possible.

I posted the tenre tent a while back, the other biker tent looks cool, but with that big flat wall it will easily act as a sail and tip the bike.

http://www.twowheelfix.com/showthrea...highlight=tent

The hammok tents can be set up with 2 poles, a few lengths of rope and some stakes to stabilize it, there are easy instructions how to do this if you look for them.

Done the hotel room parking lot too

Old 01-05-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
I like the idea, but what if you want to camp on the beach, an open expanse of rock, or anywhere else that doesn't have trees or posts? Where do you put all your gear? Seems more appropriate for hiking than motorcycling.

I'm digging this, but not the $400 price tag:

The Ténéré Expedition Tent™

This one is probably lower quality, but I actually prefer the design, and it's half the price:

The Biker Tent™

I like the idea of sheltering the motorcycle, too. I used to wheel my bike into motel rooms whenever possible.

beach? dig a trench and put your fartsack in it. rocks i wouldnt recommend. warm body near lots of crevices tends to invite cuddle buddies. as for gear, everytime ive camped by hammock i lash my ruck to one of my trees and put a trash bag over it
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
beach? dig a trench and put your fartsack in it. rocks i wouldnt recommend. warm body near lots of crevices tends to invite cuddle buddies. as for gear, everytime ive camped by hammock i lash my ruck to one of my trees and put a trash bag over it
The more I read through Hennessy's website, the more I like the idea of a hammock tent. Nothing like setting up camp in under five minutes. With the larger fly, you could shelter the bike, too (assuming the ground below the hammock is suitable for parking). Too bad these things are so damn expensive. I would definitely want one that zips up completely to keep the bugs out.

Still not sold on stashing my gear, though... helmet, boots, etc. In a tent, it's sheltered and open to air out at the same time. Stuffing it all together in some bag to potentially hang outside in the rain... eh, stink.

Also have to consider lack of privacy if I have neighbors. They might not appreciate seeing my bare ass changing clothes.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
The more I read through Hennessy's website, the more I like the idea of a hammock tent. Nothing like setting up camp in under five minutes. With the larger fly, you could shelter the bike, too (assuming the ground below the hammock is suitable for parking). Too bad these things are so damn expensive. I would definitely want one that zips up completely to keep the bugs out.

Still not sold on stashing my gear, though... helmet, boots, etc. In a tent, it's sheltered and open to air out at the same time. Stuffing it all together in some bag to potentially hang outside in the rain... eh, stink.

Also have to consider lack of privacy if I have neighbors. They might not appreciate seeing my bare ass changing clothes.
Wear boxer briefs. Then you can change them and your tshirt in the sack. Tell anyone offended at the sight of a grown man in shorts to lick a sweaty nutsack
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

I have this tent and it stores really small. Eureka makes all the US Army tents as well.

Eureka Apex 2XT Adventure

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Apex-Ad.../dp/B000EQCVQ6

$73 and it's really worth it for this tent. I bought it full price.

Here is a link to their military tents...

http://www.eurekamilitarytents.com/

I lived in this tent right after the Iraq invasion

Last edited by tallywacker; 01-05-2011 at 11:19 PM..
tallywacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Don't know, I got my Zumo from my dealer off a demo bike for cheap. I am really happy with it, but I didn't pay retail on it. I really like using Garmin's software Mapsource for windows/Basecamp for mac to plan routes though.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Get a left over Garmin 60csx.

Since the new 62s came out, the old 60's can be found for less than $200 all over the place and they're great.

I have both the 60csx and the new 62s. I like the old 60csx better for the motorcycle.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I have both the 60csx and the new 62s. I like the old 60csx better for the motorcycle.
That's just because you haven't used the 62s enough. You should probably sell your 60csx for $100. And since you're getting that big Yamaha shaftie anyway, you should probably also sell your WR for... I don't know, maybe $1,500. I could help you out, take them both at the same time...
Old 01-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

I'll be keeping both the WRR and the 60csx, but nice try
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #10
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I'll be keeping both the WRR and the 60csx, but nice try.
What are the 60CSX's limitations? The more I read about these things, the more confused I become; there are just too many to choose from.

I want something that can direct me from Point A to Point B, on the road and through the trails, with fuel stops and points of interest in between. Spoken instruction via Bluetooth is not necessary (though I certainly wouldn't mind having the option). I would like the ability to download routes from other travelers, too. There may be trips (including this summer's) where I want to spend as much time as possible on dirt roads and trails; I'd like a GPS system that can accommodate.

I've read great things about TomTom models, but I've also heard that it's easier to share routes with Garmins.

The 60CSX is weatherproof, correct?