Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar
Default Anyone else?

Notice they have a bias AGAINST sportbikers? kinda odd as I ride one... but if I'm stopped at a gas station... 90% of the time I'll just not "what's up" and go on about my way.

but throw any tourer or Dual Sport... and I'll sit for an hour shooting the shit...

I wanna say it's just cause I'm interested in their type of riding more... and not a bias against them... but I'd be lie'n. I guess it's just that most of the time that I have kicked up a conversation... it's squid this and pose that.

Mississippi is really getting on my nerves because of that. Though I don't kick up conversation... THEY do... I'm polite and just give them the... "cause it was built to be ridden" response (when they ask why it's so dirty) But I cut it short and move along. It's gotten to the point I hate riding my bike anywhere near town unless I'm just going to or from work, because I get annoyed with seeing them... riding around with no shirts, shorts, brain buckets... cruising... looking for attention.

I'm not saying I'm the end all be all of motorcycles... or that I even have half a clue how to ride one to it's potential... but I guess it comes down to viewing my motorcycle... and motorcycles in general as more than just a tool to get attention... but a way of life... and other motorcyclist... are more than just someone who share's a hobby... but a friend I've not met yet.

and before I'm called a hypocrite for that last line... not everyone who owns a motorcycle... is a motorcyclist. they're just an owner of a motorcycle.

maybe I'm just stuck on myself... but I just tire of all the ignorant attention they bring to motorcycling...

but there I go stereotyping...

take it for what it's worth... just something I've been thinking about lately...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

No, but I live in an area that has just as many capable riders as there are squids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I wouldn't say I have a bias like you do.....but I'm very particular about who I'll talk to.

Part of that is because I'm ridiculously shy. The other part of that is that I've tried to be the nice guy but all I get is squids....and it gets on my nerves.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
t-homo
WSB Champion

Yes, all of the time. It was funny down in Birmingham yesterday when we would talk to other cyclists when we said we were doing an Iron Butt from MO. They would see the Connie 14 and Bandit, then see my bike and be like "You rode that all the way from Missouri?" with a confused look on their face.

Also, probably 90% of the people here just cruise around town looking for attention, which, I will admit, is fun every once in a while, cruising through downtown on a Friday or Saturday night. The other 10% though are true riders who are a blast to talk to.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #5
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

"not everyone who owns a motorcycle... is a motorcyclist. they're just an owner of a motorcycle."

I'm stealing this.

Never a true phrase has ever been uttered. Thank you.
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Well I've never been a fan of the "only people who ride as I do are motorcyclists" attitude but I definitely avoid other riders. For the most part they totally irritate me. Seriously. They give me their numbers and I throw them away. I really don't feel like babysitting or getting run into, thank you! I definitely don't feel like answering a million inane questions about bikes all afternoon. I don't know, I'll do a couple rallies a year and I think that will about do it for me and group riding...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

I love the ones that ask me how fast I've gotten my bike. As though that's some sort of indicator of a bike or rider's ultimate potential.

But yeah, I totally get where you're coming from.. and a couple of my coworkers are the stereotypical squid/posers. They've asked me if I wanted to "ride" with them ("oh, you mean buzz down I-35 as fast as you can go, weaving in and out of cars? sweet!"), or go to bike night at Twin Peaks.. inside my soul is throwing up, but I smile and say I have other plans.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
I love the ones that ask me how fast I've gotten my bike. As though that's some sort of indicator of a bike or rider's ultimate potential.

But yeah, I totally get where you're coming from.. and a couple of my coworkers are the stereotypical squid/posers. They've asked me if I wanted to "ride" with them ("oh, you mean buzz down I-35 as fast as you can go, weaving in and out of cars? sweet!"), or go to bike night at Twin Peaks.. inside my soul is throwing up, but I smile and say I have other plans.
i get that with my futura too and then they scoff when it wont do 160, bu tthen I show them the tires and they ohh and ahh ( I usualy have track take offs on there) so they obviously are clueless. the smart ones either ask are they take offs or do i track the bike

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Well I've never been a fan of the "only people who ride as I do are motorcyclists" attitude but I definitely avoid other riders. For the most part they totally irritate me. Seriously. They give me their numbers and I throw them away. I really don't feel like babysitting or getting run into, thank you! I definitely don't feel like answering a million inane questions about bikes all afternoon. I don't know, I'll do a couple rallies a year and I think that will about do it for me and group riding...
it's not that... I can deal with others doing things different than me... it's the negitive aspect they bring. I honestly don't think it's the "ride like I do or else" mentality... as I really have no interest in ever riding a trike or gold wing... but they're some of the most entertaining to talk to.

I'm extremely cautious about riding with other sportbikers... especially when I don't know them... so I've done it twice... both times ended with me taking the next exit while they wheelied/cut people off attracting the wrong kind of attention. I've ridden on about 5 occasions with a group of bikes that contained anything from cruisers to dual sports to big ass tourers. never had a hint of feeling nervous among them...

I guess I'm just stereotyping again here... but it just feel like the vast majority of the sportbikers I run into are just attention whores.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
it's not that... I can deal with others doing things different than me... it's the negitive aspect they bring. I honestly don't think it's the "ride like I do or else" mentality... as I really have no interest in ever riding a trike or gold wing... but they're some of the most entertaining to talk to.

I'm extremely cautious about riding with other sportbikers... especially when I don't know them... so I've done it twice... both times ended with me taking the next exit while they wheelied/cut people off attracting the wrong kind of attention. I've ridden on about 5 occasions with a group of bikes that contained anything from cruisers to dual sports to big ass tourers. never had a hint of feeling nervous among them...

I guess I'm just stereotyping again here... but it just feel like the vast majority of the sportbikers I run into are just attention whores.
LI is the same way, chock full o squids. Fortunatley I have found a good group of guys that we ride with and organize stuff. But I have met up with guys in the past who would do wheelies and stupid shit on the pkwy so I would just mysteriously get lost and do my own thing.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote