Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Model Reviews

Old 04-12-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic
Cool HD Super Demo Rides

As part of the MOCO HD Super Ride promo. My local dealer had a nice line up of bike ready to ride.

First on the docket

A slightly used (2k miles) NightRod with a stage one and CFR pipe. Sitting there in its all black glory it asks to be ridden. Thumb the starter and it roars to life. Ease out on its hydraulic clutch and a snap of the wrist pushes me onward. Within the first 1/4 mile I knew I was in for a treat. A mile later I'm giggling like a schoolgirl, which lucky for me the pipe was covering my laughter. With each segment of the ride I'm amazed at the near endless RPM range. Showing a boastful 9K redline I find myself shifting at 4500 out of habit. 3 miles into the ride and I'm in complete muscle bound heaven as I wrap the tach till it won't go anymore. The rev limiter screams at me to shift into the next level of excitement.

From idle thru 4k rpm the torque is something out of my petro-fueled dreams. Above 5k the horsepower taking over, hurdling this bike well above the posted speed limit on this road. The suspension which you think will be as abusive as the Nightster I rode in on, soaks up the road well. It seems to not rise or dive much under the power or brakes. How can this be? I'm not sure and with the twist of my right wrist I simply don't seem to care.

On the following loop thru my buddy was on this dark horse. I tell ya, it not only hauls ass down the road, it looks awesome doing it. To hear him coming while watching it in my side mirror (on the XR at this point) was awesome. I'm not sure about its longevity for a road trip bike but for around the town this thing would definitely put me on a first name basis with the local LEO.

As I said on the second loop I had to try the new XR1200 (60 miles). I have read much about them and they are said to be a blast. I first off notice its high stance for my short legs (5’7” tall). Start up this 1200cc motor with stock pipes and I just wonder how HD can even send these out of the factory sounding like this.

Immediately I’m drawn back into what I am use to with my Sporty motor and it’s usable RPM range. However, this XR has super travel suspension which eats the bumps up with minimal effort or side affect to me the rider. I feel as if they cross bred my Nightster with a dirt bike. Knowing the history of the XRs I know this to actually be the truth. Using its high center of gravity you flick it into a corner like you would a dirt bike, but with the stance of a road bike. Truly making its ride fun and enjoyable.

On the stretch of open road with our group farther ahead of us, my partner in crime and I explore these bikes (Nightrod and XR) potential against each other. For every one shift of his nearly 9K rev limiter I’m thru 2 gears. Fast hand and foot work during shifts keeps me in the game. I’m able to hang with in range of the Nightrod but not at some sacrifice. While the Nightrod made its aggressive speed rise effortlessly, this XR made me feel as if I was wringing its neck. I’m sure if I actually had some exhaust sound I may not feel that way. But these 2010 models with their cat’ed exhausts make very little sound.

Overall the bike was a hoot to ride and I can see this being a contender for the smaller BMW bikes. A little dual sport tire change and you’ll be able to push its stock suspension to the limits of its design that you simply don’t reach on the street.

After that I wanted to explore the black sheep Road Glide. It’s said to have a great advantage over my Ultra with its fixed fairing. The styling has grown on me over the years but I had yet to ride one till today. Once you throw your leg over the leather you get a reality of how large the front fairing truly is.

As I exit the parking lot I feel the ease of turning it without moving the massive batwing fairing I’m use to. With only 2k on the clock it had a stage one and sounded like a Harley should. The controls are what I’m use to along with the power band. However it seemed lighter and easier to turn.

After a few miles I settle into using the radio and realize that the massive fairing holds its flaws. The reach to the radio to use the presets is a stretch. A stretch that I found to be almost dangerous when following a pack of bikes. I did find some advantages with this bike over my Ultra but still happy with my choice. I spoke to another rider there and he said he wants a trike with the Road Glide front end. Now that’s a decent idea.

Finally I get to the last ride of the day. Again 60 mile old Cross Bones. I’ve always eyeballed the spring seat and front end. That vintage look cloaking its high tech EFI and new technology throughout. But how would it ride has always been at the forefront of my mind. Its twin cam 96” motor is all familiar to me with my Ultra but it’s a whole rider lighter than my Ultra at least. The combination should make it a terror on the road.

The spring seat takes care of my comfort even with the acceleration being absorbed into it. I head down the road and to my surprise this new springer fork setup is not disturbed by even the worse of roads. I’m aiming at the bumps, hanging my head down like a dog out a car window trying to catch a glimpse of this thing working. I can see the rebound springs moving just behind the headlight but can’t seem to catch it pivit down by the axle. I know its working cause I don’t feel the bumps.

The springer seat raises your tail but they haven’t compensated that in the floorboards and forward controls. It gives me the sensation of over extending my feet forward. I think a slight angle backwards in the floorboards would help with this. Or perhaps if I was a taller guy it would feel less akward.

Overall the bike ran well and was more competent with its power delivery and suspension. It’s a honest runner and I think with a few choice mods would be a great bike to have around. I seem to lavish in the extremes and that is easy to see with my Ultra/Nightster garage.

I tell ya at the end of the day I figure out something. What’s the one way to ride 75 miles in a day while only putting 20 on your own bike? HD’s Super Ride Demos, that’s how. Check out the link above and throw your leg over something you haven’t before. Its been years since I have did any demo rides and I’m sure glad I made the time to do it today.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I like the road glide, really its pretty much the same bike as yours with some small changes to rigid mount the fairing and its really more set up for a single rider.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I wouldn't be caught dead on that RG. Ugliest damn bike I've ever seen. Ugh. Now, that VROD and XR on the other hand...well you know the story on the XR.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

I saw some guy rolling down the highway the other day on a XR1200. The OEM exhaust is so quiet I could not hear the bike running at 70+mph. I think a stock honda civic is louder.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

I like the look of the Ultra much better than the Road.

I would love to do a Harley ride day, but the local dealers don't do that here. I would have to spend $500 to rent one for a weekend.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

My local dealer is doing it again this weekend.

Karl check the link. See if they offering it near u. Its free and fun. Regardless if u like hd or not.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
My local dealer is doing it again this weekend.

Karl check the link. See if they offering it near u. Its free and fun. Regardless if u like hd or not.
I see they are participating at a dealer here but there is no date specified. I guess I'll have to call them.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:22 PM   #8
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Thanks for the review of the XR it is the only Air Cooled Bike HD that is of any interest to me.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:35 PM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

It was decent... Marko has rode one before as well.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Old 04-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #10
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Nice write-up. The Harley here always does it's demo days at the end of the season (like Sept or Oct) and I'm not really sure why they wait so long.

However, Victory is having a demo day here this weekend and I intend to go down and ride a few of their bikes. The g/f told me to be careful. I've already had the discussion with her that I will own a bike and I won't be told otherwise.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote