Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Marko is wise...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:24 PM   #22
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Nothing wrong with Harley that good old fashion German engineering can't cure.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

"I like pushrod engines. Obviously. My Buell is a pushrod twin. It's a phenomenal motor. If you disagree, you've obviously never put any amount of time on one. "

Marco not to be oppositional but Back in 06 when I was looking for a twin sport bike I spent 4 hours on a used XB12 Which because of its looks I wanted to like. What I found was that it had excellent braking the chassis was set up perfectly for someone of my weight and that in comparison to every other V Twin sport bike I rode IMHO throttle response was lacking and simply did not live up to the Jap 1 liter RC51 TLR or the Ducati I rode.
I chose the Ducati 999.
I am not slamming Buells but my experience with them limited as it is tells me that the engine desinged in 1936 has been the limiting factor in Beull developing a major following
I know I am in the Minority in the Cruiser crowd when I say this but there is NOTHING that a push rod engine does that can't be done better by a a OHC engine
nhgunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #24
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
"I like pushrod engines. Obviously. My Buell is a pushrod twin. It's a phenomenal motor. If you disagree, you've obviously never put any amount of time on one. "

Marco not to be oppositional but Back in 06 when I was looking for a twin sport bike I spent 4 hours on a used XB12 Which because of its looks I wanted to like. What I found was that it had excellent braking the chassis was set up perfectly for someone of my weight and that in comparison to every other V Twin sport bike I rode IMHO throttle response was lacking and simply did not live up to the Jap 1 liter RC51 TLR or the Ducati I rode.
I chose the Ducati 999.
I am not slamming Buells but my experience with them limited as it is tells me that the engine desinged in 1936 has been the limiting factor in Beull developing a major following
I know I am in the Minority in the Cruiser crowd when I say this but there is NOTHING that a push rod engine does that can't be done better by a a OHC engine
I'd take a 999 over a Buell too. No question. The throttle response on mine is fantastic. There is a small stumble right from closed throttle to open...but after that it's buttery smooth.

I have heard of several instances where there are drastic differences between Buell motorcycles. I dont know why there are such inconsistencies...but mine has been flawless and trouble free. I have read the exact opposite from guys who own the same year and model.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #25
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Hence BMW is revising their aircooled boxer twin line to go to DOHC starting with the HP 2 Sport.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #26
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Moved this thread to 'model review' section.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:41 PM   #27
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

A guy at school has one, pretty sweet not my taste but its cool in its own right. They haul ass btw
________
New mexico dispensary
________
BREAKUP ADVICE FORUMS

Last edited by Antwanny; 04-07-2011 at 07:23 PM..
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #28
Shift
Just a Noob

Moto: 08 Green 6R

Quote:
NOTHING that a push rod engine does that can't be done better by a a OHC engine
I think GM and it's LTx and LSx motors would disagree....

Especially if your talking about just a SOHC, DOHC breaths a hell of a lot better of course.

And like Ebbs said below me, what are you basing better off of. More peak Hp, higher reving, more tq, theres a lot of dif factors which come into play.

Last edited by Shift; 10-08-2008 at 08:54 PM..
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:48 PM   #29
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

well first you'd have to define "better" more effecent? or more power?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:31 AM   #30
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
I think GM and it's LTx and LSx motors would disagree....

Especially if your talking about just a SOHC, DOHC breaths a hell of a lot better of course.

And like Ebbs said below me, what are you basing better off of. More peak Hp, higher reving, more tq, theres a lot of dif factors which come into play.
im pretty sure he was referring to motorcycle engines only(its a bike forum). and in that aspect, hes right. the jap cruisers are sneakily watercooled, and im 100% positive they only have pushrods for looks-theyre cutting into the harley market, and its gotta have a certain look to steal their buyers

same displacement wise-what aircooled pushrod twin makes the same hp, revs as high, same torque, same efficiency as a watercooled i4?

that being said tho, u dont buy harleys to haul ass.

when the vrod came out it was harleys most powerful engine ever, while still being the smallest engine(atleast when it came out, think its alil bigger now but so are the other engines) theyve used since like the 60's, its watercooled and has no push rods....

they see the light lol, its just they only turn it on when they want to. cant back up the vrod name with that crap ass twin cam. u get gd shit otherwise, brakes, susp, efi, fit and finish, but their core consumers dont really ask for more power anyway.

thats how i see it anyway