Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Model Reviews

Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #21
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
The rc8 is a twin and will be fairly rare though...

Now you're talking... the rc8 is being aimed directly at the 1098 base model, it's pretty clear. I wonder if they'll come out with hopped-up versions to attack the s?
You mean the R? The "S" just get you Ohlins, track data computer, and a few other goodies.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #22
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
You mean the R? The "S" just get you Ohlins, track data computer, and a few other goodies.
Well I meant the S... I guess they could make a top-shelfer to compete with the R as well. It will be interesting to see how hardcore KTM dives into this market segment. That's what it will depend on.

After the superduke's rave reviews and this bike's as well, they could become a big player.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #23
DLIT
Clit Commander

Moto: 2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
You can keep that shit. I'll take the LE R1 over the base model 1098 any day.

Quote:
The LE R1 isn't fairly rare?

DLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #24
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:

Now you're talking... the rc8 is being aimed directly at the 1098 base model, it's pretty clear. I wonder if they'll come out with hopped-up versions to attack the s?
Yes. KTM always has an "R" version. The SuperDuke will have an R version. The Supermoto 690 will have an "R" version. The 950 Enduro has an R version the 950 Supermoto also has an R version.

I don't know why people are so surprised about KTM making kick-ass sport bikes/street bikes. They have been making smallbore GP bikes for the longest.

What goes around, comes around. People are surprised about the aprilia RXV dirt bikes. The first Aprilias were dirt bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
You can keep that shit. I'll take the LE R1 over the base model 1098 any day.

It maybe rare, but it's weak. It couldn't keep up with the regular MV Agusta F4 and the 999S on the track, same rider.

One of these days the Japs are going to realize that it takes more than just an overpowered engine and fancy bolt-ons to make a performance bike.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #25
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Quote:
Well, true... I was thinking of the R1. The LE is rare.

I guess I meant that even the base model will be rare, so the S or R versions will be drool objects for sure.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #26
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Yes. KTM always has an "R" version. The SuperDuke will have an R version. The Supermoto 690 will have an "R" version. The 950 Enduro has an R version the 950 Supermoto also has an R version.

I don't know why people are so surprised about KTM making kick-ass sport bikes/street bikes. They have been making smallbore GP bikes for the longest.

What goes around, comes around. People are surprised about the aprilia RXV dirt bikes. The first Aprilias were dirt bikes.

It maybe rare, but it's weak. It couldn't keep up with the regular MV Agusta F4 and the 999S on the track, same rider.

One of these days the Japs are going to realize that it takes more than just an overpowered engine and fancy bolt-ons to make a performance bike.

How much are the MV and 999S?

Old 03-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #27
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
How much are the MV and 999S?
How much was the R1 Limited Edition? It's more than the 999S and on par with the F4.

Stop with the cost excuses. It takes more than bolting on lightweight wheels and fancy brand suspensions in order to make a bike handle well. The old excuse was "how much does a Ducati or an MV cost comparing to a Jap bike". What excuse does the R1 LE have? It costed MSRP 18K or 21K (something like that). It had Marchessini rims and fancy Brembos and Ohlins front and rear.

So how can it be slower on the track than the 999S which has about 40-HP less?

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #28
6doublefive321
Resident Droog

Moto: 625 SMC, '08 Tuono R

Quote:
How much was the R1 Limited Edition? It's more than the 999S and on par with the F4.

Stop with the cost excuses. It takes more than bolting on lightweight wheels and fancy brand suspensions in order to make a bike handle well. The old excuse was "how much does a Ducati or an MV cost comparing to a Jap bike". What excuse does the R1 LE have? It costed MSRP 18K or 21K (something like that). It had Marchessini rims and fancy Brembos and Ohlins front and rear.

The man speaks the truth. Also, exclusivity has a price.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #29
DLIT
Clit Commander

Quote:

The LE was 18k. How much was the 999S the last year it came out? When was the last year it came out? What's the maintenance costs difference between the two? I said I would rather have a LE R1. Noticed how I used "I", not "fnfalman"? I'm not fast enough to take either of those bikes to the max, so talking about it taking more than wheels and suspension (which is a pretty big fucking factor) doesn't mean shit to me. I want to know how much a bike costs and how much it'll be to maintain the bitch. No way NEAR a 999S or a MV. The 1098 and 848 have significantly lower maintenance costs than older Ducatis, which is cool. but there's nothing significant about the 1098 or 999 or MV. The R1 is a 50th anniversary edition with Marchesini wheels, slipper clutch and Ohlins suspension. I couldn't care less if a higher priced Ducati comes stock with Ohlins or Brembo. They mass-produce those bikes every year. The LE only came out ONE year. The R1 LE is more rare than any of those bikes.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 PM   #30
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Quote:
The LE was 18k. How much was the 999S the last year it came out? When was the last year it came out? What's the maintenance costs difference between the two? I said I would rather have a LE R1. Noticed how I used "I", not "fnfalman"? I'm not fast enough to take either of those bikes to the max, so talking about it taking more than wheels and suspension (which is a pretty big fucking factor) doesn't mean shit to me. I want to know how much a bike costs and how much it'll be to maintain the bitch. No way NEAR a 999S or a MV. The 1098 and 848 have significantly lower maintenance costs than older Ducatis, which is cool. but there's nothing significant about the 1098 or 999 or MV. The R1 is a 50th anniversary edition with Marchesini wheels, slipper clutch and Ohlins suspension. I couldn't care less if a higher priced Ducati comes stock with Ohlins or Brembo. They mass-produce those bikes every year. The LE only came out ONE year. The R1 LE is more rare than any of those bikes.
I love when you get all sassy. Homo.