Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 09-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #21
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea well, I never got paying double for a European bike so I guess we're even....
You're telling that to the guy on the Triumph?
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #22
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Yep a guy I know in town that pulled a Phillipino chick over here and married her! He said he was tired of American women attitudes. He kind of got himself a permanent maid and sex slave the way it sounds... Wait, I said that like it's a BAD thing!
yeah, sounds like the same situation. She does everything for him, he has this nice homemade meal for lunch everyday with some awesome homemade dessert. Only downside he says is that he sends a good size check to her family every month to help them out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #23
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Hahaha! I still challenge you to define "better" show me a study that proves that a Dainese or A* jackets offers better protection. Especially in the same price range. Quite frankly, A* and Dainese jackets in this price range are all made in the same Chinese factories as AGV, Icon, Joe Rocket, etc...

Haha, conversely I know that even if I could prove that a $300 Icon jacket offers the same or even better protection as a $900 Dainese/A* you'd still buy the more expensive jacket just to snub your nose at us plebeians! I guess I DO actually understand the elitist mindset after all.
I have done a self study. My A* shit is not top notch quality. Seams break, shit worn out quick on some of the stuff. Some of it has taken a beating and survived though. It seems real hit or miss with them. I have an Icon jacket I bought when I first started riding and it has seen all sorts of conditions and still looks brand new. It mostly gets used as a cool weather jacket now, but I would rank it's quality up there with any of the A* stuff I have.

As far as helmets, all cost gets you is bells and whistles. Helmet studies have shown cheap ass walmart bell helmet do just as well as any shoei helmet. The difference is weight of helmet and how well the helmet performs in the wind, not safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:39 PM   #24
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Yep a guy I know in town that pulled a Phillipino chick over here and married her! He said he was tired of American women attitudes. He kind of got himself a permanent maid and sex slave the way it sounds... Wait, I said that like it's a BAD thing!
Yeah that type of marriage will really last.

Well, it might if your relationship consists solely of coming home, watching TV, and having sex
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #25
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I have done a self study. My A* shit is not top notch quality. Seams break, shit worn out quick on some of the stuff. Some of it has taken a beating and survived though. It seems real hit or miss with them. I have an Icon jacket I bought when I first started riding and it has seen all sorts of conditions and still looks brand new. It mostly gets used as a cool weather jacket now, but I would rank it's quality up there with any of the A* stuff I have.

As far as helmets, all cost gets you is bells and whistles. Helmet studies have shown cheap ass walmart bell helmet do just as well as any shoei helmet. The difference is weight of helmet and how well the helmet performs in the wind, not safety.
Now here's something we can agree on! As you know I have quite a few lids and they span the gamut from a Sparx $89 lid to a $600-800 Shark RSR2/Arai RX7 and the main differences are comfort, noise, weight, and finish. I've decided to stick to the higher end models because of the "bells and whistles" not because I think that they offer "better protection". As far as jackets go, I've had similar experiences with Dainese vs Icon.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #26
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Yeah that type of marriage will really last.

Well, it might if your relationship consists solely of coming home, watching TV, and having sex
Um.... it doesn't? What, do you actually talk to yours? Hey fellas, Homeslice TALKS to his woman!!!! What a pansy!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #27
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Yea it's the jacket and chaps! Jacket was $500 and chaps were $325 retail. I know a lot of people are down on Icon but I'd put construction and materials up against anyone in the same price range. On a side note, has everyone seen the $1,300 jacket from A*....are you kidding me? The pants are about the same price...
[/url]
I can guarantee you they'll end up cutting the price, and you'll start seeing them for like 40% off on Ebay. A leather jacket with a Gore-Tex liner? Pretty stupid IMO. Yeah, let's take a nice leather jacket in the rain on a regular basis, when you could have purchased a separate textile outfit for those duties. For $1,200 I could get easily both a leather jacket AND a full textile touring suit.

Plus that jacket isn't even all that great looking.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #28
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I know.

I'm still surprised.

I can't imagine anyone paying $500+ for an Icon anything.
my motorhead battlecry jacket retailed for 600. Thick ass leather and its cut to fit real people, not 90 lb italian midgets
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #29
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
You're telling that to the guy on the Triumph?
Um... KTM and Husqvarna? I understand that Triumph has most of their parts made in Asia to keep the prices down now so they can hardly be counted as a European make.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #30
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
yeah, sounds like the same situation. She does everything for him, he has this nice homemade meal for lunch everyday with some awesome homemade dessert. Only downside he says is that he sends a good size check to her family every month to help them out.
tl packs me a lunch everyday and cooks me dinner damn near every night. She even handles the utility bills for the house. Born here raised here
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote