Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #31
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
That skid plate looks as good as any.
Installed it over the weekend. It echos all of the mechanical noise of the engine and now it's loud as hell. It also vibrates. Not digging it for permanent use; it's on/off in five minutes, so I may just use it on planned off-road excursions only.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #32
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Installed it over the weekend. It echos all of the mechanical noise of the engine and now it's loud as hell. It also vibrates. Not digging it for permanent use; it's on/off in five minutes, so I may just use it on planned off-road excursions only.
It needs more holes both for sound and to allow water and shit to pass through.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #33
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

I put rubber strips along the frame rails between the frame and the skidplate on mine and the sound went away.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #34
Triple
uncomfortably numb

Moto: WR250R & Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I put rubber strips along the frame rails between the frame and the skidplate on mine and the sound went away.
I put metal spacers between the plate and its mounting points on the frame and the vibration went away. It still echos the sound of the engine; doubt there is any way around that without drilling more/larger holes, and I don't want to compromise the integrity of the plate. I was worried about it trapping engine heat, but the temperature outside has been at or near 100-degrees each afternoon and the cooling fan isn't running any more now than it did before (which was almost never).

I cleaned and re-oiled my air filter for the first time and made almost 79 mpg on my next tank of gas.
Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #35
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I put metal spacers between the plate and its mounting points on the frame and the vibration went away. It still echos the sound of the engine; doubt there is any way around that without drilling more/larger holes, and I don't want to compromise the integrity of the plate. I was worried about it trapping engine heat, but the temperature outside has been at or near 100-degrees each afternoon and the cooling fan isn't running any more now than it did before (which was almost never).

I cleaned and re-oiled my air filter for the first time and made almost 79 mpg on my next tank of gas.
I coated the inside of my plate with Bedliner... not sure how it'll work... but just tapping the plate it's a duller sound...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote