Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-27-2010, 03:06 AM   #1
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R
Default CA to Vote Legalizing Pot in November Ballot...

Which way will I vote...decisions...decisions...

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dc/...es_pot_wi.html

If California legalizes pot, will D.C. follow?
If they aren't already, elected officials in the District should be keeping close tabs on this year's election in California.

On Wednesday, advocates for legalizing marijuana officially secured enough signatures to put a referendum on the California ballot this November asking voters to legalize and tax pot.

And, judging by recent legislation in the District, what starts in California often eventually makes it way to the left-leaning District.

San Francisco's decision in 2007 to ban plastic bags, for example, was one impetus for the District's recently enacted bag tax. And San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsome launched the modern same-sex marriage movement when he issued marriage licenses to gay couples in 2004 -- long before the District took up the issue.

And California voters approved a referendum allowing for the medical use of marijuana in 1996 - two years before voters in the District approved a similar referendum. The District's medical marijuana law is only now being implemented because it was tied up for years on Capitol Hill.

But if California voters approve the legalization of marijuana - which remains an if, because polls show a potentially close election - how long will it be before pro-pot advocates seek to petition a similar measure onto the ballot in the District?

Allen St. Pierre, executive director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, estimates it would be six years or less before the marijuana legalization debate makes its way to the District.

"California, like it or not, really pushes American politics and business in one direction or another," said St. Pierre, noting the issue is also expected to soon land on the ballot in Nevada and Oregon. "I am going to guess four to six years after the citizens of California pass something like this, there is either an initiative here or the city council takes it up."

Already, D.C. Council member Marion Barry (D-Ward 8) has been grumbling publicly that some of the District's drug laws need to be reformed because too many residents are being locked up for drug possession. But Council member David A. Catania (I-At large), the chairman of the Committee on Health, and other council members have made it clear they do not want the medical marijuana legislation pending before the council to spiral into a debate over outright legalization.

A Washington Post poll conducted in January found District residents were split on whether they supported legalizing small amounts of marijuana for personal use. Forty-six percent of residents favored the idea, but 48 percent opposed.

But while 60 percent of whites supported legalizing marijuana, only 37 percent of African-Americans felt that way, largely due to strong opposition among older black women.

A debate over marijuana legalization wouldn't be entirely new terrain for the District. In 1977, the city council approved legislation to decriminalize possession of one ounce or less of the drug. But then Mayor Walter E. Washington vetoed the measure, citing the possible effects the law would have on city youths.

And even if legalization advocates won a referendum over the issue in the District, Congress would ultimately have the power to block it from taking place.

It's hard to see Congress staying out of that debate. But who would have guessed six years ago that the debate over whether to legalize same-sex marriage in the District would have been such a snooze this year on Capitol Hill?

--Tim Craig

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

This needs to be done at a national level. I am tired of spending tax dollars to by breakfast for stoners to stupid not to get repeatedly arrested.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Inferno
Canyon Carver

Moto: 08 R6

I don't care either way, but I wonder if they will still test for civil service jobs (police/fire)
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I don't care either way, but I wonder if they will still test for civil service jobs (police/fire)
Oh, I'm sure they will. Thing with pot is that it's not like alcohol as far as how long it stays in your system for testing. It doesn't fuck you up as long as alcohol, but it will show up in tests for a lot longer. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if more companies start testing for it and it's still against policy to smoke it.

Although, weird thing about my job is that it doesn't test for drugs, at all. I have a government job and was never tested. Kind of surprising, really, considering what I do. Doesn't matter, though, I haven't smoked in years.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Oh, I'm sure they will. Thing with pot is that it's not like alcohol as far as how long it stays in your system for testing. It doesn't fuck you up as long as alcohol, but it will show up in tests for a lot longer. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if more companies start testing for it and it's still against policy to smoke it.

Although, weird thing about my job is that it doesn't test for drugs, at all. I have a government job and was never tested. Kind of surprising, really, considering what I do. Doesn't matter, though, I haven't smoked in years.
I agree. For people who like to smoke I have a feeling legalization will fall short of the utopia they imagine. I doubt most employers would give a shit but I suspect workers comp. insurance providers will ultimately be the ones who control the policies of employers.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

I have a feeling its not going to pass this time around, still a lot of fear concerning Marijuana and it murderous effects.

Around here though, there are fewer employers drug screening. I didn't have to test for my last two jobs actually (both were auto finance corporations) , and two of my buddies who recently got corporate jobs didn't have to test either. I think goof has a point regarding workers comp ins, or even auto/health/home, etc. etc, but it hasn't happened with alcohol and I don't think it will with marijuana once it is legalized or decriminalized either.

I could be wrong though, people are some evil motherfuckers.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Last edited by Kaneman; 03-27-2010 at 02:26 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

I hope it goes through...this state is fucked and we need the money.
Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen View Post
I hope it goes through...this state is fucked and we need the money.
Shit, this country is fucked and we need the money!
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Shit, this country is fucked and we need the money!
Also true!
Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I agree. For people who like to smoke I have a feeling legalization will fall short of the utopia they imagine. I doubt most employers would give a shit but I suspect workers comp. insurance providers will ultimately be the ones who control the policies of employers.
Yep...this is true. I think alot of companies won't allow it (at least not on company time), but I seriously doubt they are going to start testing for it unless they get some huge ass discount from insurance providers.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote