Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...
Default $640 of red raging high performance asian anger...

Or...

A Ninjette for ONSSP.

We've been talking about getting her a lil' Ninja for a while and after riding on the back of the Shadow, she's gotten really into it... So yesterday, I was doing my daily Statewidelist.com search (searches craigslists for the entire state) and came across a 1997 with a leaky radiator, 11.5k on the clock, otherwise working... for $700.

Called and emailed the guy all day, and finally heard back from him around 6pm... Waiting for ONSSP to get home, hit the bank, and drove 1.25 hours to go look at it.

The kid seemed nice enough, honest, and it was obvious that this thing had a history of neglect... So I derf'ed him down to $640 and rode it home.

The good:
Runs like a clock
Fairings in great shape (no cracks)
All lights/gauges/switches/etc work
Clean tank
Good rubber
$640

The bad:
Pretty sure the maintenance schedule on this thing was - add one gallon of chain lube every 11,499 miles, store uncovered outside, and beat the everliving fuck out of it as often as possible...

Brakes are incredibly stiff and are pretty much on/off switches, suspension is ridiculously soft... like I can push down on it with one hand and bottom out the rear soft... looking through the sight glass, the oil resembles a mixture of semen, molasses, and rancid elephant piss... leaky radiator (though, I'm not entirely sure at this point - MAY be the the overflow or a hose)... a couple small tears in the seat... Bars were loose, probably not the original bolts (or just halfassed tightened)... chain might be salvagable, but I'm probably just going to replace it anyway...

I certainly didn't need another project, but the price was right so I struck while the iron was hot... took a pic last night, but forgot the fucking camera at home, so pics will be up tonight...

My goal is to get the thing torn down, all fluids flushed/replaced over the weekend... Next week - chain, rebuild the brakes, and sort out the radiator issue... then apparently we (I) are painting this thing pink...

Last edited by OneSickPsycho; 10-13-2011 at 10:52 AM..
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote