Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 03-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog View Post
Stop focusing on looks and find a helmet that fits your head first? I looked at all those helmets too (HJC Carbon, Bell Star, etc) but bought an X-11 because it fit my head better than anything else out there. Yeah, my credit card wasn't too happy about it.

BTW webbikeworld.com is by far the best site out there for researching helmets. They're the only ones that try to give you a sense of helmet shape for head fit.
Like Tig... er Lon... er AmberLamps said, WBW is good, but a bit dated with some of the newer models.

The SBTG guy says in the comparo vid of the RSR, X-11, and Star that they all fit the same. (09 and older Star models need one size down from standard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
STG makes excellent videos, but does he describe whether the helmet is an oval, long oval, round, or round oval fit? That's what is good about webbikeworld.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know what kind of head shape they have........Even people who've been riding for years. You hear them make silly comments like "I'm an Arai head".........Um, no.......Arai makes several different shapes, some are round, some are oval. Someone who fits a Quantum well will not fit into a Profile.
Yes, kind of. He doesn't say "this is a round helmet and will only fit round heads" but more of a generalization of a "round oval" or "neutral"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
STG makes excellent videos, but does he describe whether the helmet is an oval, long oval, round, or round oval fit? That's what is good about webbikeworld.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't know what kind of head shape they have........Even people who've been riding for years. You hear them make silly comments like "I'm an Arai head".........Um, no.......Arai makes several different shapes..... Someone who fits well in a Quantum will not fit into a Profile.
Did anybody watch the videos I posted? *sniffle* He clearly states that the fit is an "intermediate-oval" and should be good for about 90%. He also goes on to explain that they sell different cheek and head pads to customize the fit. Apparently, fit was an issue with older Bell Star lids but now it's been fixed.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Did anybody watch the videos I posted? *sniffle* He clearly states that the fit is an "intermediate-oval" and should be good for about 90%. He also goes on to explain that they sell different cheek and head pads to customize the fit. Apparently, fit was an issue with older Bell Star lids but now it's been fixed.
I watched them, and more. Searched out a few more models/brands too!

The fit issue with the 09 and older Bell Star's was just a size thing.
If you normally wore a large, you would probably need a medium, etc.
For the 2010 models they have fixed it, and they should follow sizing with Shoei, Shark, and Arai.

After looking at all the vids, I think I'm going to go with the X-11. A bit better venting, I already have visors for it, and I like the graphic better. The Star in the Ace of Diamonds is a close second however....
The helmet bag is a cool bonus, but I don't know that I would ever use it

Quote:
Quote:

3662 Supply NCO

Old 03-21-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Is Shark considered a "high end" helmet?

I've tried on every helmet out there and every Arai, Shoei, and Suomy fit all to no avail. HJC's fit me perfectly (unfortunately) so I've always stuck with them, and they've done me well.

A few of my racer friends suggested Scorpion's after having the same issues as me, and they've had no complaints and crashed in them.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post

I've tried on every helmet out there and every Arai, Shoei, and Suomy fit all to no avail. HJC's fit me perfectly (unfortunately) so I've always stuck with them, and they've done me well.

A few of my racer friends suggested Scorpion's after having the same issues as me, and they've had no complaints and crashed in them.
Oh almost any DOT cert helmet will protect you in a crash...What differentiates the "high end"ids from the sub-$200 crowd are the features, fit and finish, weight, materials, ventilation, visor, etc. What's the difference between a Cadillac and a Chevy, I mean they both get you where you're going right? I won't argue the subjective differences between different lids but there are reasons for the price difference a $600 Arai and a $200 Scorpion.
imho
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Oh almost any DOT cert helmet will protect you in a crash...What differentiates the "high end"ids from the sub-$200 crowd are the features, fit and finish, weight, materials, ventilation, visor, etc. What's the difference between a Cadillac and a Chevy, I mean they both get you where you're going right? I won't argue the subjective differences between different lids but there are reasons for the price difference a $600 Arai and a $200 Scorpion.
imho
While scorpions are definately not a $600 lid they are equal to most $400 helmets I have used, in fact for the price it is in my opinion the best line of helmets out there. I am on my 3rd Scorpion now, my 2nd exo-700. I totally plan on buying either a 750 or a 900 for my next helmet. They cool great and are decently light weigh, areo dynamics are good too (dont try and ride with your head sideways for an extended period of time though).

For triple the price you can get a suomy or an arai that is slightly lighter and cools a little better . What it really comes down to is that you should go to a store and try a few on, see which one FITS CORRECTLY, is most comfortable, and is in your price range. That should be your criteria for selecting a helmet, in that order.

Last edited by derf; 03-21-2010 at 11:12 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

I tried on the HJC FS-15carbon. It is very light and felt comfortable on my head. It fits better than the Scorpions. I'd like to try on the Bell double Apex but I can't find anyone who stocks that model.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Their most expensive models are definitely high-end (best visors in the world, IMO) and compete with the best, but they have some low-end $200 helmets too.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

The new X12 looks badass. Of course being brand new it will be $600+
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Quote:
The new X12 looks badass. Of course being brand new it will be $600+
Haven't seen it for under $700. And per the reviews it vents less and is louder than the X-11, the RF-1100 is a better helmet.

Quote:
Quote:

3662 Supply NCO