Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Introductions

Old 10-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #41
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Nah the zx6 sucked monkey balls up until the 636 came out in 03-04. If he had around 3200 I'd say shop for a 99-04 F4 or F4i. Reliable, cheap, and not a bad bike to learn on.
uh... my ZZR600 was the reincarnated 02 ZX6... it was the best 600 that year.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:25 PM   #42
Shift
Just a Noob

Moto: 08 Green 6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
uh... my ZZR600 was the reincarnated 02 ZX6... it was the best 600 that year.
Maybe in the mags when it first came out, but it still holds nothing to an 03 636 if he could round up a few more bucks. And even though its essentially the same bike as your new ZZR I highly doubt most older kawis are a match for honda's reliability, which is something very important to consider considering his funds.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #43
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Nah the zx6 sucked monkey balls up until the 636 came out in 03-04. If he had around 3200 I'd say shop for a 99-04 F4 or F4i. Reliable, cheap, and not a bad bike to learn on.
Quote:
Maybe in the mags when it first came out, but it still holds nothing to an 03 636 if he could round up a few more bucks. And even though its essentially the same bike as your new ZZR I highly doubt most older kawis are a match for honda's reliability, which is something very important to consider considering his funds.
Your getting away from the fact that i'm an inexperienced rider tho (ridden before, never owned). i think some people here would say that the 636 is too much for a person's first bike. I mean I 100% for sure want an 05/06 636 as my second bike. But the thing i think you also are weighing into the matter is the ability of a bike over the ability of me. Me never owning a bike before... how would I know an older zx6r is heavy and sucks? All im gonna think is that its faster and can turn sharper than any sports car ive ever driven. Plus I wont have any past bikes to judge it against like most ppl here.

I like the F4. But the zx6r beat it bad in 2000....
I definatly dont like the F4i which beat the zx in 2001...

But if we talk 2000 F4, what is the difference betwee that and the YZF600R I've had in my list? Both are carbed, both have banana seat, both have bars above the triple tree, both have single headlight. The thundercat is mostly cheaper too....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #44
Shift
Just a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Your getting away from the fact that i'm an inexperienced rider tho (ridden before, never owned). i think some people here would say that the 636 is too much for a person's first bike. I mean I 100% for sure want an 05/06 636 as my second bike. But the thing i think you also are weighing into the matter is the ability of a bike over the ability of me. Me never owning a bike before... how would I know an older zx6r is heavy and sucks? All im gonna think is that its faster and can turn sharper than any sports car ive ever driven. Plus I wont have any past bikes to judge it against like most ppl here.
I can tell by your post you should be fine no matter what you get. I still say get an older honda just for reliability sakes. I'm not saying a properly taken care of old yzf or zx6 wont last a long time but I've seen a lot more F3 and F4's last 100k+ miles with less then spectacular maint. over the years.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #45
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
I still say get an older honda just for reliability sakes...
And that from a Kawasaki owner!!! Thanks for all the help tho!!!
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #46
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Quote:
And that from a Kawasaki owner!!! Thanks for all the help tho!!!
Honda definitely makes some great machines that are very durable, but the yzf600r can last just as long with mediocre maintenance. Theres a couple on my other forum that are at 100k miles and quite a few that are well over 50k with no major issues.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #47
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:

I like the F4. But the zx6r beat it bad in 2000....
I definatly dont like the F4i which beat the zx in 2001...

But if we talk 2000 F4, what is the difference betwee that and the YZF600R I've had in my list? Both are carbed, both have banana seat, both have bars above the triple tree, both have single headlight. The thundercat is mostly cheaper too....
not really... anyone who's ever ridden the 636 knows it offers more grunt than the 599... but it's not enough to say that a noob who can start on the 599 wouldn't be ok on the 636.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 PM   #48
Shift
Just a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
anyone who's ever ridden the 636 knows it offers more grunt than the 599... .
Tis so true. Can only wish I had that motor, minus the trans of course, in my 08. Ah would life be fun then.