Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 02-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Default Michelin lovers,have you seen this?

STT have some awesome deals on Michelin race tires and decent deals on street tires. Keep in mind that the first race tire deal is for FOUR tires,1 front and 3 rear!!! I'd almost run them on the street for that price!

http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/shop/index.html

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 02-21-2009 at 04:37 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:41 AM   #2
ZUKIMON
Is this thing on?

Moto: '01, 929RR

I've been told in the past to never run race tires on the street. They said that the compound in the tire was so that it couldn't get hot on the street like it could on the track and therefore they would never get "sticky."
Old 02-22-2009, 05:16 AM   #3
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

No Pilot Road 2CT. Too bad, really. I've been running those for about five months now and they're the best street tires I've ever run, bar none. They still look (and perform) like they're new after about 5000 miles and have way more performance capabilities than I ever thought possible from a sport touring tire.

As a matter of fact, I just did a track day (with Keith Code) on them today and had no complaints whatsoever. That means a lot because my bike is old and heavy, makes stupid torque, has worn-out suspension, and I beat the shit out of it. For my mix of daily riding/ canyon runs/ occasional track days, there's nothing better.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
No Pilot Road 2CT. Too bad, really. I've been running those for about five months now and they're the best street tires I've ever run, bar none. They still look (and perform) like they're new after about 5000 miles and have way more performance capabilities than I ever thought possible from a sport touring tire.

As a matter of fact, I just did a track day (with Keith Code) on them today and had no complaints whatsoever. That means a lot because my bike is old and heavy, makes stupid torque, has worn-out suspension, and I beat the shit out of it. For my mix of daily riding/ canyon runs/ occasional track days, there's nothing better.
That's great to hear. that was another option for me on my Buell... especially if i start commuting long distances on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
STT have some awesome deals on Michelin race tires and decent deals on street tires. Keep in mind that the first race tire deal is for FOUR tires,1 front and 3 rear!!! I'd almost run them on the street for that price!

http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/shop/index.html
I switched from Michelin to Dunlop this past year but for those prices, I may have to switch back!

Thanks for the heads-up.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

That's a good price on the new michelin race tires, I've been wanting to try a set.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
deals gap dragon slayer
Addicted to Track

Moto: 2007 Kawi ZX-10R

the reason for not runn0ing race tires on the street is more so because of the heat cycles... race tires are only designed to heat up and cool off so many times before they lose their ability to grip... riding on the street would cause them to endure many heat cycles quickly so they wont grip nearly as well as they should... I'd personally stick to the track with a set of tire warmers to keep them up to temp when i'm not riding
deals gap dragon slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
deals gap dragon slayer
Addicted to Track

Moto: 2007 Kawi ZX-10R

HOLY CRAP... just looked at STT... what a deal! $415 for a 120/70 and 3 190/55 tires..> WOW... just WOW
deals gap dragon slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by deals gap dragon slayer View Post
HOLY CRAP... just looked at STT... what a deal! $415 for a 120/70 and 3 190/55 tires..> WOW... just WOW

See! You spouted off before reading the ad! Seriously tho',I've never liked track tires on the street,whether they are new or "take-offs". They never reach their correct operating temperature thus never give "maximum" grip. On the other hand if you consider that these are med-soft tires they are probably "grippier" cold than most street tires are hot. My biggest concern would be longevity and the tendency to cup,flat spot AND get flats because the carcass is typically not as "tough" as street tires....of course at these insane prices.... I posted this for our track lovers,just in case they were unaware but I can't say that I'm not tempted myself...$415
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote