Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

looks like a baby porsche cayenne to me. do not want.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
They have a power up version called the clubman but I think its a restyled 2 door with a hatch or larger back seat/wheelbase.
I think its cute but no way I am passing up a Camaro or '11 Mustang at the same price...
No, the Mini Cooper S is the "power up" version.

The Clubman is indeed a bigger Mini (we call it the "Maxi"), with more room and barn doors out back. Seriously cute, IMO.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #13
neebelung

And that NEW Mini is flippin CUUUUUUUUTEEEE... not $40K worth of cute,but cute nonetheless!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I thought you could get a basic Mini in the low 20's, and an S model in the high 20's.

At the time when it originally came out, it had the smallest wheelbase around, for good handling and tossability. And the interior was very unique. And then you've got the whole nostalgia thing going on with middle-aged people who remember the original Mini.........So, the high price was understandable at the time.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I thought you could get a basic Mini in the low 20's, and an S model in the high 20's.

At the time when it originally came out, it had the smallest wheelbase around, for good handling and tossability. And the interior was very unique, and then you've got the whole nostalgia thing going on with middle-aged people who remember the original Mini.........So, the high price was understandable at the time.
And they ARE fun to drive. I love them. The S can be flung around like nobody's business... I remember going for test drive with a friend who wanted one, and the salesman took us offroad into some dirt and was doing itty bitty donuts with it... I know Zoomie loves hers.

And they ARE a BMW, so the quality is very nice; I just can't see spending $40K for that Mini CUV.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #16
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:

At the time when it originally came out, it had the smallest wheelbase around, for good handling and tossability. And the interior was very unique. And then you've got the whole nostalgia thing going on with middle-aged people who remember the original Mini.........So, the high price was understandable at the time.
You are correct on the prices.
Its the works package that takes it in the mid to high 40's.

What middle aged person in this country cares about the Mini?
Mini was never a big thing in American automotive landscape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #17
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post

What middle aged person in this country cares about the Mini?
Mini was never a big thing in American automotive landscape.
I very rarely see anyone under 35 in one.

It's basically the same types of people I see in Miatas.........Age 40-55 White people.

People younger than that usually want a more "macho" vehicle, because they're still in that whole "being hard/badass/gotta protect my masculinity" stage of their life.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #18
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

They hae missed the mark with this new line. I just had a loaner Clubman from the dealer for a week... it is HORRIBLE. The handling is tragic - it "swims" as you drive it straight, I called it drunk driving trials. It seriously feels like the car is swimming down the freeway.

The transmission. Ugh, yikes. I had the step-tronic automatic with paddles. It was explained to me that it was the same transmission used in the BMWs. I don't believe it. No way. Not smooth, I could feel every up shift and down shift. If I locked it into use for the paddles it would revert to drive on it's own. It made OK power for a MiniS, but ick.

Not a fan.

And, what are they thinking, using the same motor for a larger vehicle? Power to weight is the advantage a MiniS has. [sarcasm]YAY, let's make it bigger!

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #19
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
They hae missed the mark with this new line. I just had a loaner Clubman from the dealer for a week... it is HORRIBLE. The handling is tragic - it "swims" as you drive it straight, I called it drunk driving trials. It seriously feels like the car is swimming down the freeway.
Sounds like most GM sedans, lol
Old 01-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
I very rarely see anyone under 35 in one.

It's basically the same types of people I see in Miatas.........Age 40-55 White people.

People younger than that usually want a more "macho" vehicle, because they're still in that whole "being hard/badass/gotta protect my masculinity" stage of their life.
Maybe because for the young-ins...both Miata and Mini are a tad expensive and there is a lot of alternatives on the market. By the time those youngins hit mid to late 20's they are getting married and having kids so a tiny relatively expensive car looses out to something with more doors and more room for growing families.

Maybe its the simple reason that grownups with more disposable income and no need to hall kids around can splurge on a Mini or a little two seater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote