Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 05-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S
Default Surprised?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Americ...213013421.html

Quote:
More than one in five Americans -- some 36.9 million -- are not fit to drive and would fail a driving test if asked to take one today, according to a new survey of the nation's drivers.

Shocking as that may be, it's actually an improvement. Last year, 38 million received failing grades. Nationwide, the average score this year increased to 77.9% from 76.2% in 2010.

According to GMAC Insurance, which conducted the survey, the results mean that a great number of people on the road still lack basic driving knowledge, an ignorance that leads to dangerous driving habits.

For example, a full 85% of those surveyed could not identify the correct action to take when approaching a steady yellow traffic light.

And only one in four knew safe following distances.

But, the survey suggests, you can avoid some of these drivers if you know what to look for: Young people, women and motorists who live in the Northeast.

Twenty-seven percent of women failed the test, while males had a failure rate of 13.6%. The oldest drivers tested -- ages 60 to 65 -- had the highest average test scores at 80.3%.

Drivers in the Northeast scored lowest, while respondents in the Midwest fared best. The worst place, no surprise to anyone who drives there, is Washington, D.C.

Wyoming, where less than 5% of the population failed the test, took home the top prize for states.

The annual GMAC Insurance National Drivers test polled 5,130 licensed drivers from 50 states and the District of Columbia with a 20-question test derived from state department of motor vehicles exams.
I'm not.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Its news now that women can't drive?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

HELL NO I'm not surprised. I have the trained eye from being a safety driving instructor and point person at work. I also have to drive a company truck with a "blow me" sticker on the back.

Look how it dwarfs Uma's Fiesta... And it's onlya 250 SD

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Government wants more power over us... I think this is one place where I'd agree... Expand drivers licensing operations - mandatory retesting every 5 years and initial testing requiring much tougher scoring...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Government wants more power over us... I think this is one place where I'd agree... Expand drivers licensing operations - mandatory retesting every 5 years and initial testing requiring much tougher scoring...
Yeeeah no. Not without an upside. Dump the speed limits and we might be able to talk
Old 05-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I have always been a fan of graduated licenses. Pass the highest level and get a blue license plate that says you can drive as fast as you want...

Anyhow I am not suprised at the study and you guys know how easy our testing requirements are now right? 25 questions, parallel park and you walk with a a license here.

So how many would fail if they used a real proficiency test? Had a decent quiz?

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I have always been a fan of graduated licenses. Pass the highest level and get a blue license plate that says you can drive as fast as you want...

Anyhow I am not suprised at the study and you guys know how easy our testing requirements are now right? 25 questions, parallel park and you walk with a a license here.

So how many would fail if they used a real proficiency test? Had a decent quiz?
I want that blue license plate!
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Yeeeah no. Not without an upside. Dump the speed limits and we might be able to talk
After maybe 5 years, speed limits and other things could be looked at once we knew that people actually knew what the fuck they were doing on the roads.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Twenty-seven percent of women failed the test, while males had a failure rate of 13.6%. The oldest drivers tested -- ages 60 to 65 -- had the highest average test scores at 80.3%.

Drivers in the Northeast scored lowest, while respondents in the Midwest fared best. The worst place, no surprise to anyone who drives there, is Washington, D.C.

Wyoming, where less than 5% of the population failed the test, took home the top prize for states.
More proof that most stereotypes are true
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
More proof that most stereotypes are true
Ill bet Wyoming took home the teenage pregnancy award too