Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Booooo Boston
Old 10-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #22
Fat Baby Joe
Squid

Moto: '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '96 Honda rs125, '96 Yamaha tz250, '02 Honda cr250

yep, I'm a typical Masshole *laugh*

Can't say I've seen Christopher.. but there are a lot of organizations that run track days at NHIS. I used to teach for Riverside Motorsports now and again. I taught a lot of Team Daemon track days, before they kind of dissolved. Now I mostly teach for Moto Market. I like them cuz it's a totally low key track day.. Paul doesn't pack people in.. he's not looking to make a ton of cash, just have a great time, unlike other organizations that do it just to make money and pack people in (whose names I won't include).

NHIS sucks.. i started racing there with CCS, and once I started going to "real" racetrack (like Mosport, VIR, Mt Tremblant, mid-Ohio, Vegas, etc), I never went back to race at NHIS. It's OK for track days, but is dangerous for racing, IMO. I've lost a friend or two at that track, and have seen some pretty nasty crashes.. involving walls. No fun.
Fat Baby Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Wow Joe... awesome info on the two strokes. I have a buddy who has an RS125 and he said the same thing... the powerband is so narrow he's still trying to learn how to ride it. I'm hoping he'll let me take it out at a track day

And yes the 250 2-smokers are INSANE... I want to ride one. Many people automatically think the displacement means they are slow... but holy shit are those things fast.

You instruct at moto market track days? That's awesome, I've actually been meaning to get to one of those. I have mostly done Tony's, I also did my Penguin school. I am going to race LRRS this coming season at NHMS so I imagine I will be doing less track days... but I'd love to come check out a motomarket one and meet you.

If you haven't instructed Tony's or Penguin then I probably don't know you but this is me and my bike:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Baby Joe View Post
I never went back to race at NHIS. It's OK for track days, but is dangerous for racing, IMO. I've lost a friend or two at that track, and have seen some pretty nasty crashes.. involving walls. No fun.
Yeah... they did modify T1 to be safer after there was a fatality there. But still, by no means am I saying NHMS (btw that's the official name now) is a safe track, though. I like to think of it as "unique"

They are planning to construct a new road course over the back of the hill and put more NASCAR grandstands where the current T3-T10 area is. This is projected to begin within a few years, I think.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #24
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Welcome.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #25
Fat Baby Joe
Squid

Where is your friend riding? NH"M"S ? Is he racing?

You'll find that Motomarket days are far more laid back and even a little less restrictive (since the headcount will be lower) than the track days you are doing now.

Nice bike, btw.. you gonna race that? If so, you better get some race skins!! It's not a matter of *if* you crash...

Come to a Motomarket day and I'll let you take the 125 out for a spin, assuming you don't ride like an ass. Be prepared though, at Loudon you shift the 125 a total of 28 times *per lap*.

A good friend of mine died in '04 after he had brake failure on his Duc and hit the T3 wall. Another friend of mine hit the T3 wall, and flew so far he bounced off the T10 fence, and was in ICU for a spell... and one other 125 guy I know ended up hitting the tire wall outside T6, abut walked away with "only" a concussion and an amazingly bruised forehead. The last two got so shaken up they both gave up racing. the list goes on and on..

I find that even though I'm only teaching track days, I have absolutely no desire to go fast at Loudon. I used to do 1:20 flats there, but probably wouldn't break 1:26s if you paid me *laugh*. It's a by-product of racing at "real" tracks (as I stated earlier). Loudon is a great track for Motards and Karts though.. In fact, karts hold the lap record for Loudon, except that they don't use the T12 chicane.

btw- if you wanna go fast at Loudon, go spend a weekend at Mosport. Nothing like some 6th gear WFO blind turns to make T1 at Loudon seem like a bad joke..

OK. I'm done rambling... again lol

btw- Marco- thanks, and nice Napolean quote..!
Old 10-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #26
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Thanks. Glad you knew where it was from.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #27
Fat Baby Joe
Squid

I caught you a delicious bass....

Oh btw Christopher.. the 125 is gp shift and has a semi-automatic upshifter.. so once you get rolling, you NEVER use the clutch.. keep the gas pinned and bang away to upshift, and roll it off and bang away to downshift...
Old 10-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #28
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

BTW...I'm a Sox fan too.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #29
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
This one's on my screensaver....
I'm sorry... sucker for punishment I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 AM   #30
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

I missed a hell of a party at Indy.