Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Beginner's End

Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #21
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Out of all the money I spent on the SV, pilot powers and everything, putting in the suspension and getting it tuned was the very best thing I ever did to it. It made the bike so much more rideable.
Okay, I rode the SV650. That suspension is weak shit. It felt vague and depressing, on the mushy side of all the bikes I've ridden. But fine for the street for a new rider. Anyway, the 650R's suspension is much stiffer, and far less likely to bottom.

I wasn't talking about more experienced riders or riders with several track days completed. I know a racer (CCS) at work that ran SVs. His lap times with fully adjustable upgraded GSXR suspension were barely faster than with the stock SV stuff. And he was winning races.

I'm not saying "don't waste your money on suspension." I am saying It's not a necessity when you don't know what you're doing on the stock equipment.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #22
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
Okay, I rode the SV650. That suspension is weak shit. It felt vague and depressing, on the mushy side of all the bikes I've ridden. But fine for the street for a new rider. Anyway, the 650R's suspension is much stiffer, and far less likely to bottom.

I wasn't talking about more experienced riders or riders with several track days completed. I know a racer (CCS) at work that ran SVs. His lap times with fully adjustable upgraded GSXR suspension were barely faster than with the stock SV stuff. And he was winning races.

I'm not saying "don't waste your money on suspension." I am saying It's not a necessity when you don't know what you're doing on the stock equipment.
I fully disagree because you never know what the stock or shop or previous owner did in some cases to the stock suspension. I am not about to advise anyone to start riding track on an untuned bike, it should be one of the first things to be checked out and set up for you before you set rubber on a track. It should at least be tuned as closely as it can, because you can get it closer to your need even if you can't get it perfect. It's like going out on tires you don't know the air pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #23
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

i suppose that's why i like fender eliminators and new exhausts. i don't need to be a good rider to use that stuff properly.

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:53 PM   #24
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

While I agree with what you're saying in some sense... you've never even done a track day, have you?

Also I think what you're speaking out against is the extreme... absolutely no riding ability and tons of mods... right? I agree with that..

Because I could ride my bike in completely stock form and not reach it's limits for years... does that mean I'm one of the people you're saying you dislike because I've been modding my bike recently?

Your statements are a bit too general, but I think I know what you mean.
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #25
Trip
Hold mah beer!

It really depends on what you want out of the bike. If you are going down to the local hooters for bike night every thursday and barely riding 2 miles a week and just want the bling, mod the crap out of your bike and be happy. If you are interested in learning to ride, then yeah there are better things you can do with your money. I am not going to tell people what to do with their bike though. I didn't listen to any of this advice and knowing what I know now, I probably still wouldn't listen to any of us because I would do what I wanted to do with my money and my bike.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 02:12 PM   #26
Dnyce
flyin high

Moto: 10speed huffy w/cards in the spokes

Quote:
my money and my bike.
thats the bottom line.

and vice versa, if its not your money, and not your bike, who fucking cares?
Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #27
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

plus one for having your suspension tuned, makes a world of difference, well not really im still slow so feels much better kudos to wheeler

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:52 AM   #28
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
While I agree with what you're saying in some sense... you've never even done a track day, have you?

Also I think what you're speaking out against is the extreme... absolutely no riding ability and tons of mods... right? I agree with that..

Because I could ride my bike in completely stock form and not reach it's limits for years... does that mean I'm one of the people you're saying you dislike because I've been modding my bike recently?

Your statements are a bit too general, but I think I know what you mean.
I should have my shit together in time for one in august. I've been trying, and slowly building up to it. Just heard back about the back protector I'm getting, should be a week till I have that. Next paycheck is going to track plastics- yes I know they're not necessary, but I trashed my stockers once and I'm not doing that again.

I didn't mean to start a riot- not here anyway But you're right, people blowing 5 grand on paint, or making their bike exactly like everyone else's and calling it "unique" pisses me off. The "no riding ability, tons of mods" "rolling art" "catalog custom" people are just lame. Like a Harley I saw today "Live to Ride, Ride to Live"- total bullshit. I've seen that bike out twice this season. At this point, I'm just happy to see a bike that's mostly stock that has obviously done a lot of miles. I've seen real and fake NOS bottles and turbos- on a 650- WTF!? Get a 600 and you get more performance at less cost with more reliability.

You're out riding your bike, and trying to become a better rider- nothing against that. It's what everyone should be doing. A real crash is the perfect reason to make modifications. I'm not against mods to make the bike more rideable or track ready.

I say forget the image shit, let's go play!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #29
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I don't understand the concept of velocity stacks.
velocity stacks help tune the rpm of the powerband (short = high, long = low) put some longer stacks in your r6 and you should see a midrange torque bump. in my blade the stockers are long as shit and the #4 is partially blocked by the airbox top soooo, i have a set of shorter factory pro stacks on order in preperation for other planned mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Right. And, the guys at one of my last trackdays learned the hard way it has nothing to do with the equipment they all *upgraded* to when they were all passed by a couple 11-year-olds on 80cc motards. Adults *sigh*

Then there are the HUGE guys on Busas that want to get different wheels because they are 10lbs less. How about take 10lbs off your wide butt first - much cheaper and makes you more healthy in the long run!!
10 lbs off the wheels doesnt equal ten pounds anywhere else, rotating mass increases at speed so those ten pounds saved could effectively equal 50 or more
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #30
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
I should have my shit together in time for one in august. I've been trying, and slowly building up to it. Just heard back about the back protector I'm getting, should be a week till I have that. Next paycheck is going to track plastics- yes I know they're not necessary, but I trashed my stockers once and I'm not doing that again.

I didn't mean to start a riot- not here anyway But you're right, people blowing 5 grand on paint, or making their bike exactly like everyone else's and calling it "unique" pisses me off. The "no riding ability, tons of mods" "rolling art" "catalog custom" people are just lame. Like a Harley I saw today "Live to Ride, Ride to Live"- total bullshit. I've seen that bike out twice this season. At this point, I'm just happy to see a bike that's mostly stock that has obviously done a lot of miles. I've seen real and fake NOS bottles and turbos- on a 650- WTF!? Get a 600 and you get more performance at less cost with more reliability.

You're out riding your bike, and trying to become a better rider- nothing against that. It's what everyone should be doing. A real crash is the perfect reason to make modifications. I'm not against mods to make the bike more rideable or track ready.

I say forget the image shit, let's go play!

Remember this, it's not your money and it's not your bike. Maybe people are happy modding their bike over riding it. It's not really your call to tell them they can't and it is a supreme waste of energy to even worry about it.
Quote: