Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 AM   #121
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
My dog has been doing great on a diet of raw chicken (mostly just thighs, with skin and bone) and veggies, and a little unflavored yogurt.
Occasionally canned salmon, as I haven't found a good source of fresh, ungutted fish (for any price I'm able to pay on a regular basis).

I've tuned her portions to as much as she will eat in a sitting... actually a little less, because her activity level doesn't demand a heavy food intake.

I took her in for her vaccinations and physical week before last and her primary vet was very pleased with her coat and energy level. Her bloodwork and her fecal sample all came back clean and indicating good health.

Unfortunately, later in the week she developed a stomach issue and I had to take her back in. The vet on duty that day was not as pleased with the raw diet as her primary vet, and suggested cooked food and this supplement (BalanceIt?).
She's since recovered and has been doing fine. Per vet's orders, I gave her only cooked chicken and rice for a few days and treated her with an antibiotic. Now she's back on her regular raw food and seems plenty healthy and happy to be doing that again.
Hmmm... I understand that processed dog food has it's limitations for sure, just like our processed food does for us. I can't help but wonder if there isn't a better, EASIER, cheaper way... I've heard several similar stories about Dynabite.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #122
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Of course, I'm going to be the skeptic... I've checked this thread from time to time and I don't know all of the particulars. Do you only feed your dog meat? Has anyone tried doing both or supplements? Dynabite, etc. What do you do if they don't eat it all in one sitting? You don't leave raw meat laying around, right? This goes against everything I've ever been told about giving a dog anything but dog food. I'm also not sure how raw meet is "cheaper" than dog food. I buy a bag maybe once a month or so... Not a major expense. Believe it or not,I am interested but have a bit trepidation as my dog is home alone for 10 hours... would not wish to come home to a nasty mess...
Our dog gets mostly meat. They are naturally carnivores. A few of the meals she gets are "medleys" which have certain veggies or berries in them that aid digestion.

With a properly varied diet, supplements shouldn't be necessary except in extreme cases. The dogs get all the nutrients from the food just like their ancestors did in the wild.

We have switched from leaving dry food out for her to graze on to two feedings per day. She'll usually finish it within 10 seconds. On the rare occasion that it is not gone, we usually throw it away. We have left the raw meat out and left. It is gone by the time we get home.

It is definitely not cheaper than kibble. Our raw diet costs about 2X's what dry food would but we aren't bargain shoppers. Convenience > cost.

Quote:
Hmmm... I understand that processed dog food has it's limitations for sure, just like our processed food does for us. I can't help but wonder if there isn't a better, EASIER, cheaper way... I've heard several similar stories about Dynabite.
A raw food diet is the better, easier way. It's not cheaper though.

If you don't want to deal with the preparations that some of these guys go through, do what we do:
We have a local "Pet Deli" that prepackages all meals into individual packages. They are kept in the freezer. When the dog gets her dinner, we pull tomorrow's meals into the fridge to defrost. The next day, open the package and serve. Can't get much easier than that.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #123
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Quote:
Of course, I'm going to be the skeptic... I've checked this thread from time to time and I don't know all of the particulars. Do you only feed your dog meat? Has anyone tried doing both or supplements? Dynabite, etc. What do you do if they don't eat it all in one sitting? You don't leave raw meat laying around, right? This goes against everything I've ever been told about giving a dog anything but dog food. I'm also not sure how raw meet is "cheaper" than dog food. I buy a bag maybe once a month or so... Not a major expense. Believe it or not,I am interested but have a bit trepidation as my dog is home alone for 10 hours... would not wish to come home to a nasty mess...
I can give you my answers on these, but I may not be doing it like everyone else.
1. My dogs get meat [on the bone], eggs, and vegetables daily. Yogurt every other day, and a whole fish once a week (in place of meat).
2. I don't give them supplements normally
3. I have no problem with them not eating it all in 1 sitting. Hasn't happened yet.
4. I don't leave raw meat laying around.
5. It isn't cheaper (or more convenient), from what I can tell. Although my beasts used to go through quite a bit of bag food anyway, and that wasn't exactly cheap either.

Basically, every Sunday I do all the major prepping for the entire week. I usually just buy whole chickens and portion them myself. In a pinch I will use leg quarters.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #124
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
It is definitely not cheaper than kibble. Our raw diet costs about 2X's what dry food would but we aren't bargain shoppers. Convenience > cost.

A raw food diet is the better, easier way. It's not cheaper though.
Compared to a Premium brand or compared with Pedigree/Puppy Chow/Other nasty shit?

Feeding our three dogs on the raw diet does come out to be cheaper than it would for "quality" kibble, which usually runs $1.50-2 per lb.

I'm one of those that believes supplements, especially when recommended by most vets, are a complete scam. I think my dogs health tests and rejuvenation in the case of my older Labrador are proof that a raw meat diet does not require any supplements or snake oils. Its DEFINITELY not more convenient, and without an electric grinder it can be a major pain in the ass. I only feed my dogs raw bone (whole chicken, thighs, legs, etc.) every other day. On the days in between they get a ground up meat medley of goodness. I've found that my Lab is too stupid to eat bone everyday because she doesn't chew them up right, and I'll find some puke laying around somewhere.

That wouldn't be an issue with a dog who was raised on raw, like my Pit Bull.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Last edited by Kaneman; 06-30-2010 at 02:02 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #125
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Compared to a Premium brand or compared with Pedigree/Puppy Chow/Other nasty shit?

Feeding our three dogs on the raw diet does come out to be cheaper than it would for "quality" kibble, which usually runs $1.50-2 per lb.

I'm one of those that believes supplements, especially when recommended by most vets, are a complete scam. I think my dogs health tests and rejuvenation in the case of my older Labrador are proof that a raw meat diet does not require any supplements or snake oils. Its DEFINITELY not more convenient, and without an electric grinder it can be a major pain in the ass. I only feed my dogs raw bone (whole chicken, thighs, legs, etc.) every other day. On the days in between they get a ground up meat medley of goodness. I've found that my Lab is too stupid to eat bone everyday because she doesn't chew them up right, and I'll find some puke laying around somewhere.

That wouldn't be an issue with a dog who was raised on raw, like my Pit Bull.
The good stuff through her former vet (kibble). The cheapest raw we get is about $1.99/lb.

The difference in cost comes down mostly to convenience.

We buy all of our raw food at the local "Pet Deli". It is preground, individually packaged, and delivered to our home. That kind of convenience comes at a price.

Keep in mind, our dog is less than 7lbs and eats a 1/4lb a day of food. If we had a Lab, Rottie, Shepard, Pit, etc. I'd probably be a little more cost conscious.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #126
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
The good stuff through her former vet (kibble). The cheapest raw we get is about $1.99/lb.

The difference in cost comes down mostly to convenience.

We buy all of our raw food at the local "Pet Deli". It is preground, individually packaged, and delivered to our home. That kind of convenience comes at a price.

Keep in mind, our dog is less than 7lbs and eats a 1/4lb a day of food. If we had a Lab, Rottie, Shepard, Pit, etc. I'd probably be a little more cost conscious.
Right on, that makes perfect sense. I'd do the same if I didn't have three large dogs to feed. I hate feeding them $.59 a lb leg quarters and $.80 lb whole chickens, cause I know how those chickens are raised and what's in them...yet I have to assume that it is still much healthier than feeding kibble.

1/4lb of food a day That must be nice! Mine eat between 1.5 and 2.5lb a day, depending on what leftovers and extras are in their food for that day.

For me its always been more about bonding with my dogs than their health, as my dog's sole purpose in life is to protect my family. Our feeding ritual definitely put us on another level of training and understanding. You may be able to bypass a Brinks...but you won't get by my three without waking me up.
I know, I know, there's a pet picture thread...
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 06-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #127
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Thanks for taking my questions seriously guys. My dog is healthy and happy but I want the best for him, of course. I won't lie. I work 6 days a week and barely ever cook/prepare food for myself. I don't think that I have either the time nor the inclination for this type of feeding.

As far as "in the wild" goes, I've seen wild dogs/wolves/coyotes...yea, I rather have my dog look much better than that.

As I've said, I've seen hundreds of ranting reviews for Dynabite. I might try that. My dog's only "problem" is shedding.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM   #128
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Thanks for taking my questions seriously guys. My dog is healthy and happy but I want the best for him, of course. I won't lie. I work 6 days a week and barely ever cook/prepare food for myself. I don't think that I have either the time nor the inclination for this type of feeding.

As far as "in the wild" goes, I've seen wild dogs/wolves/coyotes...yea, I rather have my dog look much better than that.

As I've said, I've seen hundreds of ranting reviews for Dynabite. I might try that. My dog's only "problem" is shedding.
Excessive shedding could definitely be a sign of poor nutrition but of course all dogs shed some. A lot of us perceive our dog as healthy, because that is the status quo, when they're really not. For example, a lot of people think their Rottweiler or Boxer, etc, has genetic hip dysplasia and nothing can be done, when in fact it is their body failing after years of eating shit food and worthless supplements.

Even very well meaning, intelligent dog owners, who really care about their pets fall into this trap that "dog food" is what dogs eat and that's pretty much it. Because that's the way its always been for us, and because the dog food industry sponsors pretty much EVERYTHING pet related from your local Vet, to dogs shows to agility trials and so on. So its integrated into us...but even the most expensive dog foods fall short of providing the kind of nutrition a dog needs to be as healthy as they are meant to be.

Likewise, most Vets absolutely shun raw diets as dangerous, risky, inadequate, etc. etc., and of course in turn recommend that you buy a 50lb bag of Science Diet and some supplements like "Missing Link" or "Dynabite." Then they'll want you to come back for teeth cleaning, check-ups, and regular sick visits. Money in their pocket, but all completely unnecessary for a dog on a raw diet.

The first time I saw my Vet with my dogs he asked me how I kept them so healthy, as he said even my 8 year old was in perfect shape, teeth superclean, all that. I told him raw diet, and he was apprehensive at first....but I finally sold him on it during our last visit last month. I told him I've never brushed my dogs teeth, and he couldn't get over how white they were. He's going to put his Pit/Rott mix on a raw diet now as well. .....but don't tell Pedigree, or they might pull their sponsorship!

There is no way my Boxer could tow 200lbs over 8 miles at 15mph if he was eating kibble, I know that for a fact.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #129
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

You may be right, personally I think that the exercise and the fact that you spend all day with them doesn't hurt matters. Lots of rave reviews from customers, http://www.k9healthsolutions.com/dinovite-reviews.html
Old 06-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #130
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
You may be right, personally I think that the exercise and the fact that you spend all day with them doesn't hurt matters. Lots of rave reviews from customers, http://www.k9healthsolutions.com/dinovite-reviews.html
No doubt, but their excellent health can be solely attributed to the diet. As I've mentioned, when I got my Lab from the shelter she had a lame shoulder...Vet told us she'd never be able to run.

Now here it is 2 years later and she runs agility, retrieves over 100yards at sprint, pulls 150lb load until her nails wear to the quick and swims like a beast!