Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT
Default And people wonder why the healthcare system is so screwed up.....

So, as some of you who are on my Facebook are aware, I recently did a sleep study thanks to this pesky little issue of stopping breathing at night intermittently. Obviously it freaked Carolina out, so I got it checked out.

Two sleep studies later, they determined that I have Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea, due to stopping breathing on an average of 36 times an hour.

Without boring everyone with details of this, the end result was that I am supposed to sleep with a CPAP machine (basically it blows air and pressurizes my airway via a mask I'll wear over my nose.)

According to the sleep center, this is a permanent condition. They say an ENT might be able to help, but doubtful. To them, the CPAP machine is the permanent answer to this.

So, I ask this. It dawned on me tonight while picking up the machine, and the tech there wasn't the person to yell at about it, so I'll chew into their corporate office on Monday. Why, if this is a permanent machine and according to them, I will need to use this machine the rest of my life, why, oh why, would they choose to *rent* the machine, collecting monthly from the insurance company, rather than sell it and collect a one time payment.

Of course, I know the answer to the question, but I'm still going to call and bitch about it, because it's just stupid.

If anybody can give me a valid reason why they might have done this, I'm all ears.

Last edited by G-Rex; 01-08-2010 at 10:09 PM..
G-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote