Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Lucky3623
Official Thread Killer

Great vid man. I wish I had a road remotely curved to ride.
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
was92v
Nowhere Man

That was a very good ride through there. The rider didn't do anything wrong on that run. I am going to step over the PC line here and say that every yellow cross does not make an asshole on that road. Or if it does, I'm a gaping sphincter.

If you know that road, you know where you can cross and where you can't, just like passing cars. What you can't see on a video is where you can see with your eyes. One of the best places to pass is in the middle of a turn. You can look though the trees to see what is coming and if there is nothing there, you are clear, cars slow to about 10 (or less) MPH, and you can just roll around them.

On many of the turns you can see 2-3 turns ahead if you know where to look. Nothing coming-you are safe. It all has to do with having an intimate knowledge of the road and not riding above your skill and knowledge. I have thousands of miles on that road, all in 9.37 mile increments and it is a very demanding road to ride at a quick pace. The biggest problem with it now is that it is too busy and too well known and most of the people that go up there to challenge "The Dragon" (I hate that name...) do not have the skill or knowledge to ride fast safely.

I guess my point is that on that road, just because you cross the center line does not necessarily mean you are a careless asshole, if you know when, where and how, you can do that safely. If you don't and just blindly bust thru, you are a careless asshole and I hope when you auger into a rock bank you don't take anyone with you.

I used to ride thru there and try to not touch the brakes. Never made it through without ever touching them, I think 4 lever pulls is the best I ever did, but I learned a
lot about the road in the process. I have ridden through there one time in the last 8 years and that was after not being there for 7 years and I still remembered 90% of the turns and setups. I probably passed 300 cruisers and tourist in one pass through and everyone of them called me an asshole. I didn't put anyone in a risky situation and risked no ones safety. Some photo shooter caught me and a cruiser in a frame that I saw that summed it up pretty well. I'm rolling in behind him coming through a right setting up for an immediate left. He is looking straight ahead and I'm looking through the trees to the straight before and the other end of the turn from the opposite direction. The road was empty, but I'm sure that when I rolled past in the middle of the turn in the oncoming lane he called me an asshole. Oh well..
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by was92v View Post
That was a very good ride through there. The rider didn't do anything wrong on that run. I am going to step over the PC line here and say that every yellow cross does not make an asshole on that road. Or if it does, I'm a gaping sphincter.

If you know that road, you know where you can cross and where you can't, just like passing cars. What you can't see on a video is where you can see with your eyes. One of the best places to pass is in the middle of a turn. You can look though the trees to see what is coming and if there is nothing there, you are clear, cars slow to about 10 (or less) MPH, and you can just roll around them.

On many of the turns you can see 2-3 turns ahead if you know where to look. Nothing coming-you are safe. It all has to do with having an intimate knowledge of the road and not riding above your skill and knowledge. I have thousands of miles on that road, all in 9.37 mile increments and it is a very demanding road to ride at a quick pace. The biggest problem with it now is that it is too busy and too well known and most of the people that go up there to challenge "The Dragon" (I hate that name...) do not have the skill or knowledge to ride fast safely.

I guess my point is that on that road, just because you cross the center line does not necessarily mean you are a careless asshole, if you know when, where and how, you can do that safely. If you don't and just blindly bust thru, you are a careless asshole and I hope when you auger into a rock bank you don't take anyone with you.

I used to ride thru there and try to not touch the brakes. Never made it through without ever touching them, I think 4 lever pulls is the best I ever did, but I learned a
lot about the road in the process. I have ridden through there one time in the last 8 years and that was after not being there for 7 years and I still remembered 90% of the turns and setups. I probably passed 300 cruisers and tourist in one pass through and everyone of them called me an asshole. I didn't put anyone in a risky situation and risked no ones safety. Some photo shooter caught me and a cruiser in a frame that I saw that summed it up pretty well. I'm rolling in behind him coming through a right setting up for an immediate left. He is looking straight ahead and I'm looking through the trees to the straight before and the other end of the turn from the opposite direction. The road was empty, but I'm sure that when I rolled past in the middle of the turn in the oncoming lane he called me an asshole. Oh well..

Hey you all kick ass in my book BUT I take two well known exceptions to your proposal that you don't endanger anyone by crossing the double yellow;

1. What if someone was coming full bore the other direction? I can't see how shaving a split second off your "lap" time could be worth my life. I don't care how fast everyone rides but I still think you should keep it in your own lane.

2. How everyone is quick to pat guys on the back dragging knee and crossing double yellows on a public road but immediately call "squid" whenever they see someone doing wheelies on the freeway.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Hey you all kick ass in my book BUT I take two well known exceptions to your proposal that you don't endanger anyone by crossing the double yellow;

1. What if someone was coming full bore the other direction? I can't see how shaving a split second off your "lap" time could be worth my life. I don't care how fast everyone rides but I still think you should keep it in your own lane.

2. How everyone is quick to pat guys on the back dragging knee and crossing double yellows on a public road but immediately call "squid" whenever they see someone doing wheelies on the freeway.
Like he said if you realy know the road there are safe spots to cross the double yellow. Upstate we have a few nice hairpin turns that you can see through for some distance so if I see its clear I will use more of the road for my turn, but again its only speciffic instances.

As far as #2 guys ripping up the twisties arent seen by as many people where as the guy doing wheelies and lanesplitting on the hwy at high speeds is seen by many more people.

And in all my street riding and 4 years of track riding I have never put a knee down, only times I did were followed by other parts of my body as Icrashed

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Like he said if you realy know the road there are safe spots to cross the double yellow. Upstate we have a few nice hairpin turns that you can see through for some distance so if I see its clear I will use more of the road for my turn, but again its only speciffic instances.

As far as #2 guys ripping up the twisties arent seen by as many people where as the guy doing wheelies and lanesplitting on the hwy at high speeds is seen by many more people.

And in all my street riding and 4 years of track riding I have never put a knee down, only times I did were followed by other parts of my body as Icrashed

Tom

Yea I guess but I know that going at those speeds you only have a split second look through the corner...if someone else was coming at 100+...
Anyway,what does how many people see an act have to do if it wrong or not?
Old 04-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea I guess but I know that going at those speeds you only have a split second look through the corner...if someone else was coming at 100+...
Anyway,what does how many people see an act have to do if it wrong or not?
The corners I am referring to you arent going that fast comming up to them anyway.

its all about perception as far as people seeing riders do questionable stuff and attracting unwanted attention. To my knowledge dragging a knee isnt illegal, crossing the double yellow is a big no no, and wheelies and lanesplitting are also a no no. if youre running in the backroads and theres few if any people, theres less chance of them complaining. Guys using a crowded highway for stunt practice or high speed flybys will attract more attention and the POPO will be out more to stop it.

its just like if theres a bike hangout and guys piss off the local neighbors, they complain and the cops will do what theyre told, and start cracking down. Similar thing if a lot of guys crash in some of these backroads all of a sudden you will see more cops hanging out there.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
The corners I am referring to you arent going that fast comming up to them anyway.

its all about perception as far as people seeing riders do questionable stuff and attracting unwanted attention. To my knowledge dragging a knee isnt illegal, crossing the double yellow is a big no no, and wheelies and lanesplitting are also a no no. if youre running in the backroads and theres few if any people, theres less chance of them complaining. Guys using a crowded highway for stunt practice or high speed flybys will attract more attention and the POPO will be out more to stop it.

its just like if theres a bike hangout and guys piss off the local neighbors, they complain and the cops will do what theyre told, and start cracking down. Similar thing if a lot of guys crash in some of these backroads all of a sudden you will see more cops hanging out there.

Tom

Oh well,I'm discussing the potential endangerment of others. Not legalities or perceptions. My concern is I'm flying through the Gap going fast but staying in my own lane and someone else crosses the line and hits me head on. I won't care who gets the ticket, I sure as hell won't care what the bystanders might think and who gives a fuck if the cops start patrolling that area more afterward? Anyway,to each their own,I'm going riding!
Old 04-05-2009, 02:42 AM   #8
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

The Awesome, do you have any videos that show you on the bike going through, I'd like to see your body position.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
The Awesome
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
The Awesome, do you have any videos that show you on the bike going through, I'd like to see your body position.
I have 1, but it has a tag visibly displayed, so I'll be keeping that one for my personal collection.
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
I have 1, but it has a tag visibly displayed, so I'll be keeping that one for my personal collection.
gotcha
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote