Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Doing my first Iron Butt style Rally on Saturday

A while back I signed up for the Garden State Rally in NJ. It is an Iron Butt Style Rally, except much shorter, clocking in at only 8 hours. I figure a shorter rally is a good way to get my feet wet into the sport.

I got my rally packet last night and pretty much have been planning routes ever since. I am pretty much settled on a southern NJ route since the points are equal as a northern NJ route but there shouldnt be nearly as much traffic, lights or other time costing things like that. I think I planned a conservative route that google maps says should take me 7 hours (adding in an hour of fudge factor for fuel, bathroom, and bonus location stops (14 in all) for a total of 8 hours, and a short loop at the end to grab extra points if time allows. This route has me running 315 miles. I scouted them all out on google maps and printed off a photo of the photo that I need to take, as well as the scoring (earning) requirement.

This rally seems to have fully adopted technology, and are allowing emailed (to facebook) photos to count as meeting the requirement. Its neat you just send the photo with the rider number and it gets scored as you go. Plus for submitting photos like that you get extra points per photo (250).

My route has me grabbing just under 49k points without the photo sub bonii which should be worth another 3500 points. I really dont know if that is a place worthy score, but it is the best I could come up with that gets me to the finish with time to spare. I managed to map out a 7hr 49min ride (without counting stops) and riding for 422 miles which would have required me to do a second gas stop, also not counted for in the time. That route also require me to hit a number of locations that were required to get them all to collect the big points. Even accounting for the fact that google maps is shows the slowest possible speed I don't think I could have made up the time and missing any of the combination locations would have killed my score.

https://www.facebook.com/TLGardenState