Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

low mileage doesn't count. that's basically not riding.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

I believe for me it's a combo of #1 and #3.

I had a damn close call 2 weeks ago that was a really weird experience. I had taken off work to go riding in the mountians - made my way up and over and down into Helen. Was riding back towards 19/400 on a stretch that has a passing lane and I got in the left lane to pass some vehices.

As soon as I passed a large white truck, I just got a funny feeling. I can't explain it. I just thought I should get over to the middle, between the two lanes. So I moved over far right in the left lane and as I came up to the top of a hill I was confronted with a stupid cunt in a Grand Cherokee heading towards me in MY lane. She must have been one of these idiots that likes to drive hundreds of feet into oncoming traffic as she approaches her eventual left turn, instead of staying in her fucking lane. Anyway, I quickly swerved into the right lane and slowed down and hoped she wasn't going to cream me. She saw me and made a stupid face as it dawned on her that she almost killed me. She started to pull back into the proper lane as I was passing her with my arms up in a "You stupid fuck" manner. She didn't even look at me or wave a hand to motion she was sorry. It's wierd - it all happened within 3-4 seconds but I remember it as if it were slo-mo. Felt like I had a guardian angel looking out for me, for sure.

Any way, my luck will eventually run out some day, I'm sure.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
low mileage doesn't count. that's basically not riding.
Nah he rode all the time... he basically got me into riding. My Dad was 41 when I was born so he was done with bikes by the time I got one. Anyway, I know that this isn't a "winnable" argument because no matter how many examples, charts or criteria I come up with to prove my point. You all will just blow it off somehow, like with this "low mileage doesn't count" horseshit. It doesn't matter, but I still maintain that it's ridiculous to believe that EVERYONE in the world that rides a motorcycle of any type will eventually crash.

To me this is just a lame excuse to justify "your" stupidity or lack of skills. That includes me btw. My first crash was when I hit a deer with my '97 YZF1000. A lot of people would excuse me for that incident but the fact is that I should have been going slower and paying more attention in that area, during that time of day. If I had, it wouldn't have happened. If I had been on a 250 Exciter, it wouldn't have happened. If I had been smart enough to stay out of the country during dusk, it wouldn't have happened. Etc.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:05 AM   #14
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
I believe for me it's a combo of #1 and #3.

I had a damn close call 2 weeks ago that was a really weird experience. I had taken off work to go riding in the mountians - made my way up and over and down into Helen. Was riding back towards 19/400 on a stretch that has a passing lane and I got in the left lane to pass some vehices.

As soon as I passed a large white truck, I just got a funny feeling. I can't explain it. I just thought I should get over to the middle, between the two lanes. So I moved over far right in the left lane and as I came up to the top of a hill I was confronted with a stupid cunt in a Grand Cherokee heading towards me in MY lane. She must have been one of these idiots that likes to drive hundreds of feet into oncoming traffic as she approaches her eventual left turn, instead of staying in her fucking lane. Anyway, I quickly swerved into the right lane and slowed down and hoped she wasn't going to cream me. She saw me and made a stupid face as it dawned on her that she almost killed me. She started to pull back into the proper lane as I was passing her with my arms up in a "You stupid fuck" manner. She didn't even look at me or wave a hand to motion she was sorry. It's wierd - it all happened within 3-4 seconds but I remember it as if it were slo-mo. Felt like I had a guardian angel looking out for me, for sure.

Any way, my luck will eventually run out some day, I'm sure.

Yea but can't you see that IF you had just fell in line with the rest of traffic this whole incident wouldn't have happened? Also, in this example the type of vehicle you were operating hasn't any bearing on the scenario. In fact, imho it's a GOOD thing you were on a bike or you may not have been able to avoid the collision.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Im of the "2 types of rider crowd". You've either been down or your going down, be it a "crash" or a fall over.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:16 AM   #16
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea but can't you see that IF you had just fell in line with the rest of traffic this whole incident wouldn't have happened?
Huh? There were two lanes of traffic in the direction I was going, one lane of oncoming traffic. Slower vehicles were in the right lane and I was one of the vehicles in the left lane. Guess I wasn't clear in my post.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Im of the "2 types of rider crowd". You've either been down or your going down, be it a "crash" or a fall over.
Hmmm... I still think it's a "sport bike" rider mindset and not a "motorcycle rider" mindset. I grew up around Harley people and I doubt that that 3/4 of them ever crashed in decades of riding. In fact, I'd say that their chances of crashing their bikes were considerably less than their getting into a car accident. Oh and the "fall over" crash... well, I've never just dropped a bike in my life. I'm sorry but you have to be either stupid, weak or riding a bike that's WAY too tall for you. Besides, how can dropping your bike count as a "crash", come on! I once had to repair a hanger door where the guy was pushing his Cesna back and smacked the track... I guess you'd say he was involved in a PLANE CRASH!!! This is what I mean by looking for ways to make the "everyone crashes" POV make sense. Hey I once dropped a wrench and scratched my tank, does that count as a crash?
Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #18
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

I've had a couple drops at <1mph and a scary off road excursion a few weeks ago. I'm a very conservative street rider. When I see a turn the first thing I'm thinking is where is the dirt, gaurd rail, decreasing radius, etc.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #19
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Huh? There were two lanes of traffic in the direction I was going, one lane of oncoming traffic. Slower vehicles were in the right lane and I was one of the vehicles in the left lane. Guess I wasn't clear in my post.
No I understand that there were to lanes going your way, I'm just saying that you didn't HAVE to pass the traffic that was, let's face it, going the speed limit. You could have fell into line to the right and never even had this incident. That's all. You were probably speeding but if you weren't.... see what I mean? Anyway, I'm just saying that in some ways you can create your own "luck" by not engaging in certain behaviors.

Do you at least see that the type of vehicle you were operating had zero bearing on the incident? Quite frankly, regardless of what type of vehicle you operate, if you increase the number of miles you're on the road you will of course increase your chances of an accident. Although semi-truck drivers put on millions of miles without accidents and I worked worked for a company for 13 years, driving 200+ miles per day and never had an accident. I just don't understand why you all accept the inevitability of a motorcycle crash regardless of your behavior, training, skill, location or type of bike.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Hmmm... I still think it's a "sport bike" rider mindset and not a "motorcycle rider" mindset. I grew up around Harley people and I doubt that that 3/4 of them ever crashed in decades of riding. In fact, I'd say that their chances of crashing their bikes were considerably less than their getting into a car accident. Oh and the "fall over" crash... well, I've never just dropped a bike in my life. I'm sorry but you have to be either stupid, weak or riding a bike that's WAY too tall for you. Besides, how can dropping your bike count as a "crash", come on! I once had to repair a hanger door where the guy was pushing his Cesna back and smacked the track... I guess you'd say he was involved in a PLANE CRASH!!! This is what I mean by looking for ways to make the "everyone crashes" POV make sense. Hey I once dropped a wrench and scratched my tank, does that count as a crash?
It does depend on your mindset. I didnt say that I think falling over is a crash, tho some people do count it.

FYI-the first person to ever tell me of the 2 types of rider rule was a harley/cruiser rider, who had been riding for 30+ years and never crashed. He still beleived it would happen, and I've seen first hand that it does.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote