Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 05-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #61
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Here's one to ponder: Does a rider's skill eventually get them into trouble?? I'm thinking about Trip's when to slow down thread. He feels he's at the point where he can not safely go any faster w/o harm/ serious risk. He's smart enough or mature enough to see this. BUT many out there, keep pushing and pushing the envelope until they are in the high percentile risk of crashing.

The Awesome for example only knows one way to ride, has TONS of skill, but has also decided he can no longer accept the risk of riding. Once you have reached that potential or that your skills are on par with the bike, it's only a matter of time, given the slight margin for error is even less.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:33 AM   #62
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Nah he rode all the time... he basically got me into riding. My Dad was 41 when I was born so he was done with bikes by the time I got one. Anyway, I know that this isn't a "winnable" argument because no matter how many examples, charts or criteria I come up with to prove my point. You all will just blow it off somehow, like with this "low mileage doesn't count" horseshit. It doesn't matter, but I still maintain that it's ridiculous to believe that EVERYONE in the world that rides a motorcycle of any type will eventually crash.

To me this is just a lame excuse to justify "your" stupidity or lack of skills. That includes me btw. My first crash was when I hit a deer with my '97 YZF1000. A lot of people would excuse me for that incident but the fact is that I should have been going slower and paying more attention in that area, during that time of day. If I had, it wouldn't have happened. If I had been on a 250 Exciter, it wouldn't have happened. If I had been smart enough to stay out of the country during dusk, it wouldn't have happened. Etc.

I like the way u think. Personal responsiblity is hard to find these days...

There are alot of factors in riding, but even a "good" rider cannot control mechanical, other vehicle or weather factors. Its a chance game to say the least.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:08 AM   #63
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
I like the way u think. Personal responsiblity is hard to find these days...

There are alot of factors in riding, but even a "good" rider cannot control mechanical, other vehicle or weather factors. Its a chance game to say the least.
Oh sure, I understand that but "if" you go out when there are negative factors...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 06:31 AM   #64
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

I havent been down yet. this year. But i cant stand the "two types of riders" montra. The young and stupid are the biggest risk takers, so it may be true with them, but im sure that many seasoned riders or those not willing to go over the speed limit have never and will never crash.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #65
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

So, out of all this discussion, we know of 2-3 people out of hundreds OR thousands of riders who haven't been down.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #66
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
I havent been down yet. this year. But i cant stand the "two types of riders" montra. The young and stupid are the biggest risk takers, so it may be true with them, but im sure that many seasoned riders or those not willing to go over the speed limit have never and will never crash.
you forget the things out of their control... people pulling out on them... a blow out... a animal running out... all of those can catch ANY OF US no matter how seasoned or experienced...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #67
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONE_too_SOFT View Post
I'll have to dig up the statistics but the Georgia DOT did some study from 2005 about motorcycle crashes. Or more specifically fatal crashes. the highest fatality rate was the 30-40 range. Of course the 20-30 was the 2nd highest.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #68
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
you forget the things out of their control... people pulling out on them... a blow out... a animal running out... all of those can catch ANY OF US no matter how seasoned or experienced...

True but those types of accidents aren't "motorcycle specific" and you may as well say that all operators MOTOR VEHICLES will eventually crash... If you operate your motorcycle the same way that you drive your car I truly believe that you are less likely to crash your bike because of it's greater avoidance and braking capabilities.

I guess that's just me....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #69
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I'll have to dig up the statistics but the Georgia DOT did some study from 2005 about motorcycle crashes. Or more specifically fatal crashes. the highest fatality rate was the 30-40 range. Of course the 20-30 was the 2nd highest.
Does GA have a helmet law? thats another factor to consider in states with no helmet laws. I also believe there are studies that show higher fatality rates where helmets are optional.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #70
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Does GA have a helmet law? thats another factor to consider in states with no helmet laws. I also believe there are studies that show higher fatality rates where helmets are optional.

Tom
Yep - we have a helmet law.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote