Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...
Default Parting out bikes...

Who's done it? Ever get burnt? Worth it?

So in my quest to get my Tiller where I want her, I've been watching forums, craigslist, and eBay for parts... while at the same time selling off some stuff. I came across this: http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2159188696.html

Now obviously this is an 'it all depends' sort of situation, but I'm curious about other's experiences... I'm thinking, depending on that condition it's in and what's all there/missing, I could buy it, use some of the parts, part out the rest and most likely make a couple of bucks.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Not worth the time usually.

In this case if the parts you need would cost as much as the asking price then go for it, then go on a bike specific forum and put up a parts for sale post.

Other than that, its just not worth the hastle, time and the little bit of money you will make off it.

Just from the description the parts worth selling, on that bike are probably already screwed anyway, plastics, seat, lights, side cases, foot pegs, handlebars, controls, guages and subframe are the big items that are worth your time and trouble, and a stunt bike has probably been dropped, which is why folks generally need those parts anyway.

I have tried to part out a few cars before, and people all want either the big parts that sell right away, or they want the small little bits that aren't worth jack, but they don't want them today, they will want them 6 months from now when they need them, not when you are selling them. I don't think I will ever try to part out anything again, I will always try and sell it as is missing 'these' parts or broken because of 'this'

Last edited by derf; 01-21-2011 at 04:06 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Depends on the bike!

Like my BMW R1150RT could have made me about $10k if I wanted to take the time to part it. But I'm not a patient person, and I had a friend I knew wanted that bike. So I sold it.

The TLR does NOT have the demand that my RT did. Trust me....Been right in your shoes with MY tiller

Trying to part off a bike that had $4000 in upgrades, and lost my arse!

But it was because it was a low demand TLR. Had it been a gixxer I would have made out pretty well.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
I have tried to part out a few cars before, and people all want either the big parts that sell right away, or they want the small little bits that aren't worth jack, but they don't want them today, they will want them 6 months from now when they need them, not when you are selling them. I don't think I will ever try to part out anything again, I will always try and sell it as is missing 'these' parts or broken because of 'this'
This, exactly.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

YOu couldn't pay me enough to part out a motorcycle again. I parted out my '91 GSX-R 750, and it was a huge pain in the ass. I parted it out 10 years ago, and just last year I threw away a box with the few knick knacks nobody wanted. I lost my ass and it was way more trouble than it was worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Depends on the bike!

Like my BMW R1150RT could have made me about $10k if I wanted to take the time to part it. But I'm not a patient person, and I had a friend I knew wanted that bike. So I sold it.
Damn right I wanted it. I'm enjoying the hell out of it now that I've got it all put back together. (PS bags will be here next week, then it will be *done*!)
Old 01-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #6
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
I didn't realize your TL got wrecked.

OSP, on the parting out thing it is a pain in the ass. Going local on Craigslist or something takes time since you will be having hour long conversations with someone about a part you are selling for $5 and your market is limited. Going national with Ebay eliminates some of that but you will end up with at least one ass who complains about the condition of the part you sent them no matter how accurately you describe it. That is going to eat up anything you may make overall. Then you have the hassle of packaging and shipping everything.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
shmike
Follower

Quote:

In this case if the parts you need would cost as much as the asking price then go for it, then go on a bike specific forum and put up a parts for sale post.

Other than that, its just not worth the hastle, time and the little bit of money you will make off it.

Just from the description the parts worth selling, on that bike are probably already screwed anyway, plastics, seat, lights, side cases, foot pegs, handlebars, controls, guages and subframe are the big items that are worth your time and trouble, and a stunt bike has probably been dropped, which is why folks generally need those parts anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
YOu couldn't pay me enough to part out a motorcycle again. I parted out my '91 GSX-R 750, and it was a huge pain in the ass. I parted it out 10 years ago, and just last year I threw away a box with the few knick knacks nobody wanted. I lost my ass and it was way more trouble than it was worth.
LISTEN TO THESE GUYS!!!

I have had the unfortunate experience of parting a few bikes because of my racing adventures.

If the parts you want from the bike would cost less as a package then individually, I MAY do it.

Get the idea of making your money back quickly out of your head.

Also, prepare to sacrifice a good portion of your garage to shit you don't want.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Who's done it? Ever get burnt? Worth it?

So in my quest to get my Tiller where I want her, I've been watching forums, craigslist, and eBay for parts... while at the same time selling off some stuff. I came across this: http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/2159188696.html

Now obviously this is an 'it all depends' sort of situation, but I'm curious about other's experiences... I'm thinking, depending on that condition it's in and what's all there/missing, I could buy it, use some of the parts, part out the rest and most likely make a couple of bucks.
If you feel the parts you need are worth $700 of the $850 price, do it.

It's a major pain in the ass. To get rid of the parts you don't want/need, you need to find an active bike (model specific) forum and hope somebody needs what you have within a reasonable time frame.

Ebay is another way to get rid of parts but the costs involved keep going up.

Search ebay for completed sales and see what the parts you'd get rid of actually sold for. Also, make sure you have enough in shipping to cover your costs but not too high to scare away potential buyers.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

So, I got a pic of it... Total basket case... Wheels, tires, rotors, forks, triples, frame, subframe, rear suspension and engine only... Literally nothing else...

I told the guy in its condition he'd be lucky to get $300 for it... He responded this morning with, "I'll take $350"...

Fucking tempting to tell the guy he'll take $250 and like it... I just KNOW I can move it over time on the TL forums... Plus I could use the rotors and subframe if they aren't fucked... Keep talking me out of it guys...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Offer him the $250 cash for it. Either he accepts or you walk away.

Plus, that way it's cheap enough for what you want that it matters less if you sell other bits.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote