Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #31
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Plus they aren't out there trying to go a zillion miles per hour.
Thats the thing if youre going to ride like a complete asshat its a lot easier to do so on a sport bike vs a harley thats usualy a lot heavier and under powered compared to a sportbike
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #32
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
So on average, a Japanese motor is going to wear out sooner than an American? I doubt it.

Sure, sportbikes are ridden harder, but they are designed for it.

In fact, the redline on a sportbike is so high and so unnecessary for street riding, that I bet the average sportbike doesn't see redline as often as the average Harley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
oh shit... Mine's 10 overdue...
(It's not truly broken in until you go through at least one chain and sprocket set).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
Hope my v-strom isn't part of that "sportbike" class that wears out around 20k. I already have 10k on it and don't need it wearing out next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
Well my bike feels perfectly broken in at 24000 miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I think the question also is how well are they maintained? lotof these squids arent realy up on even basic maintenance, which even withthem being built very well usualy leads to soem sort of failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
A man that has rode a v-twin

DING DING DING

There is no way you should consider any motor of modern day to end near 20k. With exception to race motors or something...
Just the sort of responses I was going for... I was kidding.

Though, the maintenance point is a good one... Most HD's are much better maintained the the average sportbike...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #33
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Just the sort of responses I was going for... I was kidding.

Though, the maintenance point is a good one... Most HD's are much better maintained the the average sportbike...
I knew I would eventualyly make a good point
Old 08-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #34
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I knew I would eventualyly make a good point
Only took 2 years and 9 months...
Old 08-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #35
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Harley equivalent of squid is definitely the poser noob.

It's the guys that take a MSF class and talk a big game about riding for 15-20 years and then fail to do the simplest tasks in the course. Some even ride across the country and have no basic skill to pilot a motorcycle. They always are dressed in head to toe HD gear and are always griping if a state has a helmet law. Education in any form is wasted on them. If it wasn't for flat interstate, they would be in serious trouble. Then they come to Deals Gap and go 5 mph and definitely will not use pulloffs.

I saw an awesome example two weeks ago when I was renewing my carry permit at the DMV. He was arguing with the DMV lady for failing his practical and screaming about how he had been riding for 17 years.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #36
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
....and have no basic skill to pilot a motorcycle.
The same could be said for any sport bike "bike night" too....there will ALWAYS be douchebags standing around with their 1000cc RR's talking about how they rail....with rusty chains and squared off rear tires. Bikes that have OBVIOUSLY never been ridden in a competent manner...but they sure look cool standing there!!

I'm not convinced that douche-baggery is limited to a particular make and model of motorcycle, to be honest.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #37
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
The same could be said for any sport bike "bike night" too....there will ALWAYS be douchebags standing around with their 1000cc RR's talking about how they rail....with rusty chains and squared off rear tires. Bikes that have OBVIOUSLY never been ridden in a competent manner...but they sure look cool standing there!!

I'm not convinced that douche-baggery is limited to a particular make and model of motorcycle, to be honest.
Uh, that's why I said the HD equivalent for Squid...

There is no real particular word for HD equivalent, but they have them as I described them. South Park wanted to use fag and I am inclined to use that word for them too. LOL
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:06 PM   #38
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post

There's a couple that have a stretched Gixxer 750... They take turns a couple times a week riding for about 5 minutes at a time. Pull out of the neighborhood... are gone for literally 5 minutes... then come back. Sometimes they switch immediately and do that once or twice, then again the next day. They have SERIOUS issues navigating the simple turn into and out of the allotment. I guess they could be just trying to practice, but no gear, shorts and wife beaters... always have cool sunglasses on.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #39
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Harley equivalent of squid is definitely the poser noob.

It's the guys that take a MSF class and talk a big game about riding for 15-20 years and then fail to do the simplest tasks in the course. Some even ride across the country and have no basic skill to pilot a motorcycle. They always are dressed in head to toe HD gear and are always griping if a state has a helmet law. Education in any form is wasted on them. If it wasn't for flat interstate, they would be in serious trouble. Then they come to Deals Gap and go 5 mph and definitely will not use pulloffs.

I saw an awesome example two weeks ago when I was renewing my carry permit at the DMV. He was arguing with the DMV lady for failing his practical and screaming about how he had been riding for 17 years.
In all fairness though, a full up HD touring rig is not the best thing to be taking your test on... and frankly, those tests are bullshit anyway. All lowspeed manuvering... I'm a competent rider and I SUCK at the low speed stuff.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #40
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
In all fairness though, a full up HD touring rig is not the best thing to be taking your test on... and frankly, those tests are bullshit anyway. All lowspeed manuvering... I'm a competent rider and I SUCK at the low speed stuff.
yeah but youre in fla, you dont have any turns down there