Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500
Default Why we wear gear

My friend Eric crashed on his 07 cbr 600rr on friday, March 20th. Here's pics of his bike and some of the comments he put in another thread.

well as mentioned before i was in a motorcycle accident and finally got time to take pictures of my gear. I also found some pics of my bike that my dad took while i was in the hospital after they took it from the impound lot.

oddly enough my jeans only had some random holes in it. They were lucky jeans too

I believe i rode along the asphalt on my shoulder/arm and my legs never hit the ground till my body came to a complete stop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, full recovery time is unknown at this point.

The wreck happened on the 20th of march in the morning. I was taking an exit ramp ( Pa Turnpike ) and looking through the turn, and as i was looking through the turn the horizon went from being on an angle like this \ to becoming vertical. My last thoughts were "awww sheit i am going down... this is gonna put a damper on my day F***." Then i woke up about 25 yards away from my bike on my back.

I thought i was going between 45 - 50 MPH through the turn. From seeing the pictures of the bike i think I was going slower then that what i had thought, perhaps 35 MPH or slower. The bike slid on the road and then hit a metal guard rail and kinda stayed up against it. I figure if i was going quicker it would have bounced off the rail.

As far as what caused me to go low side, either 1 of two things, oil or that the ground was cold and my tire was hot.... my guess is oil as i felt no shimmying /slipping/sliding of my rear wheel during the turn.

So from the 20th through the 26th I was bed ridden, on all sorts of medication as my stomach shut down from the injuries sustained and I was in a lot of pain from fracturing 4 vertebrate in my lower back.

Then i spent the next 3 days after my stomach started working again to sit up in bed with out passing out due to when you lay down for so long your blood pressure is extremely low and then learning to walk again with an old person walker.

On the 31st I was transferred to a transitional care unit to continue with my therapy to getting back to walking with no assistance. The 6th of april i was sent home and have been home since. I am able to walk but I still need to wait for my bones to heal. I also have some possible permanent nerve damage in my right hand that gives my pinky finger pins and needles all the time. its a nuisance but i guess if its all i got from this accident i guess i am lucky.

On the 6th of may i get a MRI to see if the fractures healed and then If they are healed i get therapy to rebuild my core/back strength. Not sure how long till i'll be allowed to go back to work as I gotta be 100% The Dr.'s have yet to say how long this will take. Thank god i got disability insurance.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Good thing he was wearing his gear, hope he mends soon
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

man, holy freakin' random

hope he heals up fast!

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

bike looks like it was involved in more than what was described
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
That's the way Eric described the accident to me and I have absolutely no reason to doubt him.

Let me find the other thread where he originally posted what happened and I'll bring that over.

Jeff

Here's the first post after the accident

Its been several days since i've posted on here......

I was headed to visit some one Saturday the 20th of march, was getting off of the turn pike and while on the exit ramp my rear tire must of hit gravel or oil and slid out from underneath me causing me to low side at round 45-50 MPH.

I don't know what exactly every thing that happened but i remember hitting the ground and ended up about 25 yards away from my bike that was wedged in the guard rail.

The ambulance arrived and took me to the hospital where they did lots of tests and i found out that i was extremely lucky and fractured my L1, L2, L3, and L4 vertebrate and had no issues with my spinal-chord. I also had some minor road rash and no head injuries. My stomach also shut down due to the trauma suffered and I was fed through a iv and had a tube down my nose to my stomach to pump out its contents for over a week.

I must attest i am very thankful that I was wearing a full face helmet, gloves, a leather jacket with armor, jeans, and racing boots. My helmet jacket and jeans were really torn up. I am sorry i don't have any pictures to post as i am currently in a rehabilitation unit where i've gone from being unable to walk at all to walking with in 6 days. While i can't walk long distances with out the assistance of crutches. I also have to wear a brace for the next 4 weeks.

For now I don't think i'll be riding a motorcycle anytime soon and i think if i ever do consider getting back on one it will be on a track only.

Last edited by '73 H1 Triple; 04-18-2010 at 03:06 PM..
Old 04-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Yeah, that bike definitely hit something and flipped over. Either that or he was sliding with the bike when it hit the guard rail and his body crushed it down like that. Would explain the back problems.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Got a PM from Eric, he wanted to clarify one point

Just to clarify for your post on the forum. It hit a guard rail. Never bounced off of the rail tho.

Eric