Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4
Default To Buy or Not To Buy; That is THE Question

I found an 07 RSV Factory with 900 miles on it for $6K flat. Salvage title. Bike was dropped on the track and managed to lightly scratch just about every painted surface on it, plus both pipes are scratched, dented(full Akro system) , plus one busted clip-on. No frame or engine damage, no scratches on rims, Ohlins fork or swingarm....bike rides straight.

These bikes MSRP'd for $17999, but they are available new from some dealers (like the one in McHenry) with warranty for $10K flat as they try to move old stock for the '09's. This would be a fix and keeper what with the rebuilt title.

Normally I wouldn't hesitate, but with the plunging prices of exotics ($8k discount NEW!!!) this looks like less of a good deal.....but $6 K for an RSV Factory??????..........

Any input?
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I feel retarded giving input to an expert like yourself...

Sounds too good to be true... I'd take a hard, hard look at it before doing anything. You could certainly part it out and make a good profit it in the very least...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
OTB
The Man

I drove up to Philly yesterday and rode it and checked it out....I have a fair idea of what I'll take to make it right and was all ready to drop the cash, but the little voice said to check out supply on NOS 07's and 08's..... and they haven't held value at ALL because of the cruddy economy. Like I said...10K for a spanky new one with a two-year warranty and a real title......I thinkin' the actual price of this ought to be more in the $4500 range......
Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
I drove up to Philly yesterday and rode it and checked it out....I have a fair idea of what I'll take to make it right and was all ready to drop the cash, but the little voice said to check out supply on NOS 07's and 08's..... and they haven't held value at ALL because of the cruddy economy. Like I said...10K for a spanky new one with a two-year warranty and a real title......I thinkin' the actual price of this ought to be more in the $4500 range......
I think you're right about that. With brand new only 4 grand more...and how much to get this sucker looking good again...you'd be at damn near the price of a NOS.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
I'd say if you could get them in that price range, then it'd be a definite go.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I feel retarded giving input to an expert like yourself...

Sounds too good to be true... I'd take a hard, hard look at it before doing anything. You could certainly part it out and make a good profit it in the very least...
You are most likely right...I could prolly do better parting it out, but I haven't done that, I'm used to fix and sell.... and I've heard the scene on Ebay is full of douche-baggery when it comes to bidders actually paying......
Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Parting out would be a hell of a lot of work.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I'm with OSP, I cant even begin to offer advice to someone like yourself...if you get it will you be repairing/replacing the plastics or leaving as is?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #9
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I'm with OSP, I cant even begin to offer advice to someone like yourself...if you get it will you be repairing/replacing the plastics or leaving as is?
For a new set of plastics I'm looking at almost 5k, not icluding the tank. I would have to fix and repaint both sidepanels, the tail and the tank. To get it lookin good, I'd have to pay someone rather than do a rattlecan job. Figure $1500. Both Akcr cans are dented and the exit bends on the header pipes scraped; replace the cans, $450 a pop, and sand/polish the headers. Add a clipon and controls for th RH side, plus sundry stuff and anothy $300 is gone. Sooooo, without my labor I'm looking at $2800-3000 plus the cost of the bike, and when I'm all done, I've still got a bike with a rebuilt title.

Guess I answered my own question, eh?
Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
Racerboy
The Other White Meat

Moto: 1997 Cadillac Seville SLS

You beat me to it.....

www.CheckeredFlagOils.com
954-975-BIKE (2453)
623-850-1OIL (1645)
Racerboy is offline   Reply With Quote