Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 08-30-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Default SUV for $15000-25000?

Just thinking out loud (or online but you get the idea). Thinking ahead about possibly replacing my 04 Mazda Tribute. Mileage is getting up there and so is the maintenance cost. Not ready to replace it yet (ie don't have the money) but I'm planning ahead.

I'm not sure on the budget but I wouldn't mine being in the $15000-25000 range. But it could be much lower. Depends on a lot of things.

The reason for this thread is to help me think something over. My wife and I have a thing for Range Rovers. She also likes that X5 and I like the Porsche Cayanne. Two problems with this. At that price range they would not be new, but any suv in that price range that I would want would not be new. Plus for the Range I would love the Sport and for the Porsche I would want the Turbo. They would push them out of the budget.

What I'm trying to decide is should I go for a SUV that isn't on the high end which might get me something newer and or lower mileage? What would you do?

Here is a quick search.

Under $25000

2006 Porsche Cayenne $25000 Mileage 77,500 extended warranty valid through 10/2014 or 113,500 miles. Also has * Factory installed Porsche GPS system * Exterior "Black" package * Tiptronic Transmission * 20" Porsche Wheels * No accidents * Non-smoker

2006 Land Rover Range Rover $24995 Mileage 97,595 HSE LUXURY PACKAGE REAR SEATS ENTERTAINMENT GRILLE AND BRUSH GUARDS ROOF RACK IMACULATE CONDITION

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE $24995 Mileage 66,278 OWNER LUXURY PACKAGE WITH ONLY 66K MILES 20"WHEELS CLEAN CARFAX AND LIKE NEW CONDITION

2006 BMW X5 4.4i $24300 Mileage 55,800

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE $23500 Mileage 55,000 2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4.4 4 wheel drive with 22 inch black rims with 55,000 millage 4 wheel drive navigation, cd changer, anti-Lock brakes, driver airbag, passenger airbag, side airbag, power windows, rear window defroster, smoked windows, cruise control, power steering, tilt wheel, heated seats leather seats, power seats, power door locks, power mirrors, sunroof / moonroof in one word it is the top of the line package plus never been smoked inside its very clean neath and fresh.

Under $15000

2002 BMW X5 4.4i Sport Package $13995 Mileage 90,178 ** FACTORY NAVIGATION *** SPORT PACKAGE *** PREMIUM PACKAGE *** BEST COLOR COMBO *** BLACK EXTERIOR WITH BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR *** DUAL POWER SEATS *** ALLOY WHEELS *** POWER WINDOWS *** POWER LOCKS *** ICE COLD A/C *** KEYLESS ENTRY *** FRONT AND SIDE AIRBAGS *** CASS AND CD CHANGER *** POWER SUNROOF *** REAR SUNSHADES AND MORE.... MUST SEE IN PERSON TO APPRECIATE!!

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE $13025 Mileage 104,000 ust See! Must Test Drive To Appreciate ! Excellent Condition ! Only Asking $13,025...Note: New Catt Convertor! New O2 sensor! New Starter ! New Fuel Pump ! New Transmission under warranty for 1 year! New Tork Converter , New Brakes , high-end wheels, Vehicle Is Registered Til July 2011! Vehicle just passed Multi Point Inspection @ Land Rover Thousand Oaks! I will provide the documentation and/or you can even take it there for your own inspection !! IMMACULATE! All scheduled maintenance, Mostly highway miles, Always garaged, Fully loaded, Lady owner. (310)430-8527--- maliu@roadrunner.com Maintenance records available, Looks & runs great, Power everything, Runs & drives great, Very clean interior, Well maintained, No accidents,

That is just grabbing a some that I see. That last range is a bit high for mileage. I'm thinking 90000 miles (150000 kms would be my max. Below 75000 would be better.)

Other options I'm just throwing out there.

2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland $239000 Mileage 49,879 HEMI 5.7L V8 Multi Displacement, 4WD, ***CLEAN CARFAX***, CERTIFIED, EZ FINANCING, Navigation System, and Power moonroof. All the right ingredients! Jeep has outdone itself with this fantastic-looking 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It just doesn't get any better at this price! Just one quick launch from a stoplight and you'll be SOLD! Nobody can resist the get-up-and-go in this SUV. This Grand Cherokee is nicely equipped with features such as HEMI 5.7L V8 Multi Displacement, 4WD, ***CLEAN CARFAX***, CERTIFIED, EZ FINANCING, Navigation System, and Power moonroof. New Car Test Drive said it ...looks wonderful. It's powerful and quiet at the same time. It offers good space efficiency and comes loaded with standard and optional features... It scored the top rating in the IIHS frontal offset test.

2007 Ford Expedition 4x4 Eddie Bauer $24995 Mileage 88,339 Great looking SUV!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Options like Dual Power Seats; MP3 Player; Privacy Glass; Roof Rack; Third Row Seat and More!!!!!!!!!!!!! Galpin Certfied with 171 point inspection. - V8 5.4 Liter; Automatic; 4WD; ABS (4-Wheel); Air Conditioning; Air Conditioning Rear; Alloy Wheels; AM/FM Stereo; Cruise Control; Dual Air Bags; Dual Power Seats; Leather; MP3 (Multi Disc); Power Door Locks; Power Steering; Power Windows; Privacy Glass; Roof Rack; Running Boards; Stability Control; Third Row Seat; Tilt Wheel; Traction Control Please call our Professional Internet Team! All advertised prices exclude government fees and taxes; any finance charges; any dealer document preparation charge; and any emission testing charge. - This vehicle was verified to be available as of 08/30/2011.

2007 GMC Yukon AWD Denali $23500 ABSOLUTELY IMMACULATE ONE OWNER SOUTHERN CALIF. TRUCK. ALL ORIGINAL PAINT, NEVER DAMAGED, NEVER SMOKED IN. DEALER SERVICED. THIS TRUCK HAS EVERY AVAILABLE OPTION. NAVIGATION, XM,DVD,POWER SIDE STEPS,MOON ROOF,HEATED SEATS FRONT AND REAR AND HEATED STEERING WHEEL, POWER REAR SEATS, POWER TAILGATE,REMOTE START,H.D.TOW PKG, LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL,H.D. AUTO. LEVEL CONTROL,STABILITRAC, H.D. ALTERNATOR, 20" CHROME ALUMINUM WHEELS, AUTORIDE, TPMS, BOSE PREMIUM SOUND, BACK UP CAMERA, PARKING SENSORS, PLUS MUCH MORE...SUPER CLEAN IN AND OUT, NEAR NEW BRIDGESTONE TIRES, FRESH SERVICE. RUNS AND DRIVES LIKE NEW. RARE TO FIND A DENALI WITH THIS LONG A LIST OF OPTIONS

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V6 $22995 Mileage 48,722

Not much out there excites me so that was all I found for the regular SUVs.

What would you do?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
shmike
Follower

You didn't seriously and honestly tell us that you are concerned about maintenance costs (on a Mazda) and then in the same post ask about high-mileage Range Rovers and Porches did you?

I love those Euro Ute's too but there is a reason that an $80-100k Range goes for 1/4 of it's MSRP in just a few years.

How many miles on the Denali? That seems the most intriguing on that list...

Last edited by shmike; 08-30-2011 at 11:30 PM..
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
You didn't seriously and honestly tell us that you are concerned about maintenance costs (on a Mazda) and then in the same post ask about high-mileage Range Rovers and Porches did you?

I love those Euro Ute's too but there is a reason that an $80-100k Range goes for 1/4 of it's MSRP in just a few years.

How many miles on the Denali? That seems the most intriguing on that list...
Left some stuff out. Not concerned about maintenance cost. If its something I enjoy I don't mine paying to fix it. The Mazda has been good to us but I spent a bit on it in the last year and a half and with it sitting at about 115000 miles there will be more items that will come up from normal wear. I will also have this another 6 months to a year at least. I'm kinda planning ahead.

What I'm trying to figure out is if I want to jump into something I like or go with more miles and or a little older to get something I really want.

This would be are main SUV that my wife would drive most of the time. I kinda want a Jeep TJ for my daily driver.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 08-31-2011, 12:12 AM   #4
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Denali has 103,000 miles.

James
Old 08-31-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
shmike
Follower

Nevermind.

From Consumer Reports:
Quote:
On average, we found that the Range Rover is the most expensive vehicle to own for maintenance and repairs, costing about $2,000 in the fifth year alone.
Also:
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/mone...air-costs.aspx
Old 08-31-2011, 01:08 AM   #6
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Just stay away from the range rovers. They are HORRIBLE. Great new but after that, look out. I've had 2 buds that have owned a couple and they both said "never again".

I wouldn't move from the mazda to those for that kind of coin. Going from 115k to 80k just doesn't seem to make it worth it. I would thinking sitting on the mazda a bit longer till you can increase your budget would seem more reasonable.
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

You don't need an SUV. Get a Caprice Wagon. lol

The GMC has alot of miles for 23 grand..besides do you need all that shit on it?

Looked for a stripped down Yukon...you can get shit like this all day long...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 09-01-2011 at 02:03 AM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Honda Odyssey
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Juuuuuuke
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Stay FAR FAR away from any Range Rover out of warranty.
Same goes for VW and Porche twins.

The BMW X5 will be hit or miss in that price range.

The Expedition is something you buy new, at a significant discount and for a specialized purpose (Towing+packed to the gills). Meaning ALL of the above and you need something under warranty. Otherwise a used GMC\Chevy is a better bet IF you are fine with previous generation GM interiors.

What about Infiniti FX45 or QX56?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote