Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

jeep cherokee is a nice ride esp. the newer ones, had one for a few weeks and loved it

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #12
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Cheorkee SRT.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #13
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

An old-school Range Rover is absolutely pimp........I love its sharp-edged lines.

But, like any European vehicle, even if you do your own repairs, the parts costs will kill you. It's always silly shit like power window regulators ($400 each), airbag sensors, climate control units, control arm bushings, burned-out connectors, bad grounds somewhere, faulty water pumps because they used a silly plastic impeller instead of a metal one, etc.

I would go Infiniti or Nissan.

Last edited by Homeslice; 08-31-2011 at 11:13 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:15 AM   #14
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Stay FAR FAR away from any Range Rover out of warranty.
Same goes for VW and Porche twins.

The BMW X5 will be hit or miss in that price range.

The Expedition is something you buy new, at a significant discount and for a specialized purpose (Towing+packed to the gills). Meaning ALL of the above and you need something under warranty. Otherwise a used GMC\Chevy is a better bet IF you are fine with previous generation GM interiors.

What about Infiniti FX45 or QX56?
What he said. We just went through this recently and when looking at a dealership that had an X5 and RR on the lot, even the dealer said he would only sell the RR under duress if someone REALLY wanted it. He had absolutely nothing good to say about reliability.

And I'm with you on maintenance, I don't mind shelling out a few bucks here and there to maintain a car I enjoy. But if that car starts stranding the family all over the place with complicated issues no shadetree mechanic has a shot of diagnosing, well...

With the X5, I would suggest avoiding the 1st gen (thru 2006). Second gen is supposed to be a lot more reliable. We got a ridiculous deal on a 2007 4.8i loaded to the gills with less than 24k on it. Love it so far. Based on feedback from friends we went for the extended warranty, but not the BMW-hyped "maintenance plan". Good peace of mind, considering how quickly repairs add up for anything related to the iDrive system.

Oddly enough, I found the car on eBay in Delaware. Contacted the seller and it turns out we graduated from the same high school in Michigan (8 years apart) and grew up on the same street a few miles away. And he's dating the sister of a girl I've known since I was 5 years old. I now live in NC, and he in PA... small, small world.

Last edited by fasternyou929; 08-31-2011 at 11:17 AM..
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Nevermind.

From Consumer Reports:

Also:
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/mone...air-costs.aspx
I will look at the link later. But $2000 a year doesn't scare me. Paid that this year for the Mazda ant that much ot close to it last year.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
You don't need an SUV. Get a Caprice Wagon. lol

The GMC has alot of miles for 23 grand..besides do you need all that shit on it?

Looked for a stripped down Yukon...you can shit like this all day long...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb
I was tired and that one slipped by. It was put in as another option. These were jus grabbed. These will be sold at least once before I buy.

Only thing I get stripped down is women. I miss my Olds Intrigue Sterling Edition. I want leather, heated seats, dual climate control, heated mirrors just to name a few.

James
Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #17
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
What he said. We just went through this recently and when looking at a dealership that had an X5 and RR on the lot, even the dealer said he would only sell the RR under duress if someone REALLY wanted it. He had absolutely nothing good to say about reliability.

And I'm with you on maintenance, I don't mind shelling out a few bucks here and there to maintain a car I enjoy. But if that car starts stranding the family all over the place with complicated issues no shadetree mechanic has a shot of diagnosing, well...

With the X5, I would suggest avoiding the 1st gen (thru 2006). Second gen is supposed to be a lot more reliable. We got a ridiculous deal on a 2007 4.8i loaded to the gills with less than 24k on it. Love it so far. Based on feedback from friends we went for the extended warranty, but not the BMW-hyped "maintenance plan". Good peace of mind, considering how quickly repairs add up for anything related to the iDrive system.

Oddly enough, I found the car on eBay in Delaware. Contacted the seller and it turns out we graduated from the same high school in Michigan (8 years apart) and grew up on the same street a few miles away. And he's dating the sister of a girl I've known since I was 5 years old. I now live in NC, and he in PA... small, small world.
Which high school? I went to Pioneer (Ann Arbor) and lived in Greensboro briefly
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Stay FAR FAR away from any Range Rover out of warranty.
Same goes for VW and Porche twins.

The BMW X5 will be hit or miss in that price range.

The Expedition is something you buy new, at a significant discount and for a specialized purpose (Towing+packed to the gills). Meaning ALL of the above and you need something under warranty. Otherwise a used GMC\Chevy is a better bet IF you are fine with previous generation GM interiors.

What about Infiniti FX45 or QX56?
FX45 I can't tell if its good looking or ugly. Not sure how I feel about that one.

James
Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #19
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I will look at the link later. But $2000 a year doesn't scare me. Paid that this year for the Mazda ant that much ot close to it last year.

James
When it come to costs..look beyond repair costs.
How much is your time worth?
How do you feel about having it in the shop for a couple days or weeks?
How do you feel about your wife calling you from the side of the road stating "This fucking piece of shit that YOUUUUUUUU WANTED to get is dead again. Can you come pick me up AGAIN?" (note doesn't matter if she picked it out...you will get blamed)

just saying...

I do have to put out there that most cars like a little cash influx at certain intervals and your Tribute is going through one of those periods. Sounds like you are just done looking at it so I guess there is no point in saying much more about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #20
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
When it come to costs..look beyond repair costs.
How much is your time worth?
How do you feel about having it in the shop for a couple days or weeks?
How do you feel about your wife calling you from the side of the road stating "This fucking piece of shit that YOUUUUUUUU WANTED to get is dead again. Can you come pick me up AGAIN?" (note doesn't matter if she picked it out...you will get blamed)

just saying...

I do have to put out there that most cars like a little cash influx at certain intervals and your Tribute is going through one of those periods. Sounds like you are just done looking at it so I guess there is no point in saying much more about it.
Lol. She wants it as bad or more then I wanted. I'm not taken blame for shit. We don't really play that game in my house.

I'm not done with the Tribute. I spent some money on it but we both feel its been good to us. We are still happy with it but I don't think I want to keep it forever.

Every now and then it has an idle issue that can be a pian in the ass for a few minutes. Haven't figured that out yet.

I'm looking ahead 6 months to 2 years. If its 6 month it would be closer to a $8000 budget I would guess. If that's the case I would want to look for a TJ first.

James