Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Old 10-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default Trackbike without a title

What do you guys think about buying one without a title, stumbled across one that looks like a good deal for what I want. I contacted the seller to get more details, including why theres no title so I will post more info as I get it.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Depends on the situation. Lost titles are one thing, but a lot of times, I've run across folks who've decided not to pay for something, so the title has a lien on it; the lien means the bike belongs to somebody else until the lien has been satisfied. The other scenario is when a "couple" breaks up and the aggrieved party sells something titled in the other person's name. That means the bike belongs to somebody else.

Get the vin# and do a search with Carfax or the like.... if the seller doesn't want you to, well, that should tell you something, shouldn't it.

Ps, in most states, receiving something belonging to somebody else is called receiving stolen property, and is a felony
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Depends on the situation. Lost titles are one thing, but a lot of times, I've run across folks who've decided not to pay for something, so the title has a lien on it; the lien means the bike belongs to somebody else until the lien has been satisfied. The other scenario is when a "couple" breaks up and the aggrieved party sells something titled in the other person's name. That means the bike belongs to somebody else.

Get the vin# and do a search with Carfax or the like.... if the seller doesn't want you to, well, that should tell you something, shouldn't it.

Ps, in most states, receiving something belonging to somebody else is called receiving stolen property, and is a felony

thats my concern, if i tturns out it was totaled by the ins co or something I could live with that. I will ask about the VIN # as well.

Tom
Old 10-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

The next few days will determine if I ever do it again. Mine has a title, it just missed an owner. The guy that actually has it seems okay, but hasn't mailed it yet. Next time it will probably be "title now or no deal."
Old 10-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
The next few days will determine if I ever do it again. Mine has a title, it just missed an owner. The guy that actually has it seems okay, but hasn't mailed it yet. Next time it will probably be "title now or no deal."
For a track bike I dont think its as big of a deal since it will never be registered or insured. if someone owes the bank money or something I dont care too much about that just more concerned that its not stolen or anything like that.

Tom
Old 10-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #6
was92v
Nowhere Man

Years ago there were episodes of LEO's "Raiding" the pits at motorcycle road races looking for stolen bikes. Any racer that didn't have a title got their bike confiscated. Most got their bikes back, but not without a lot of hassle, time and money. I always made sure I had papers on any race bike that had ever been street legal, with me at the races. Seems like this was mostly a Texas thing, but I can't remember for sure.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
For a track bike I dont think its as big of a deal since it will never be registered or insured. if someone owes the bank money or something I dont care too much about that just more concerned that its not stolen or anything like that.

Tom
You don't get it: if the lien isn't paid, the bank has the right to repo the bike even if you have a "bill of sale": they have legal title to the bike, not you.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
You don't get it: if the lien isn't paid, the bank has the right to repo the bike even if you have a "bill of sale": they have legal title to the bike, not you.
I got that part as well, I was figuring as a track bike it wouldnt be registered or insured so it would be rather difficult to find anyway. However its all moot anyway I did the carfax with the vin he provided and its a salvage title. He told me it had fallen off a trailer so i will get more detail on that and have a mechanic friend look the bike over as well and see if its worth buying.
Tom
Old 10-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I got that part as well, I was figuring as a track bike it wouldnt be registered or insured so it would be rather difficult to find anyway. However its all moot anyway I did the carfax with the vin he provided and its a salvage title. He told me it had fallen off a trailer so i will get more detail on that and have a mechanic friend look the bike over as well and see if its worth buying.
Tom
Salvage title on a track bike is fine by me, obviously. Insurance can total a bike for stupid stuff- if it costs to much to replace the plastics for example. I say ride it, make sure it tracks straight, runs right, and clicks through the gears.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I would just make sure all the t's are crossed and the i's dotted in making sure the bike is "clear".
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote