Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
It's more than them just getting used to it. There are some web applications that simply don't work properly in IE9. Compatibility Mode isn't a guaranteed fix, either, but we'll somehow have to code for its use.

Apparently you cared enough to post.
NO I mean who cares if it auto updates. What's the difference?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
NO I mean who cares if it auto updates. What's the difference?
Who? That would be anyone who:

1) ... doesn't want someone else deciding what gets installed on their computer.

2) ... has web based applications that will only function properly with a specific version of IE, or that won't function with a specific version of IE.

They'll be pushing IE9 to systems running Win7, without bothering to ask. We've found the performance of IE9 to be rather slow. In fact I've rolled back to IE8, on about 10 systems, because users thought that their whole systems were running slow as a result of it being installed.

We also know that two of our web applications, that are necessary for operation in the university, do not function in IE9. IE8 is as far as their compatibility goes, at this point. We've got people working on compatibility, for IE9, but you can't just pull the rug out from under your clients for the hell of it.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #13
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Well I get #1 but I was waiting for the IT dept style answer.

Run Amsoil Product
Old 12-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Makes configuration management a pain --- you have a specific set of software you're supposed to run (your trusted baseline, etc).

Lots of places don't care/give a damn.... But quite a few do.

One of the reasons why we don't allow Chrome on our systems is due to the Auto-Update feature (though I use it on my personal PC's, I do like Chrome).

So, one thing in the article kinda "saves the day" for me
"[And] customers who have declined previous installations of IE8 or IE9 through Windows Update will not be automatically updated," Microsoft promised in a Thursday blog post.

Enterprises running WSUS (Windows Server Update Service), the most popular business patching and updating tool, or other patch management systems will not be affected.

"They're basically saying that if you set group policies through WSUS [to block automatic upgrades] that they're not going to override that," said Storms.
So those in an enterprise environment should be okay.... as long as they don't pull the same shit they did with (I think it was IE 7 - > IE 8) and wrap the software into some other patch.....
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #15
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
I am in the IT department and I answered

Our purchasing system is buggered up by the additional security, that was added to IE9. Our HR system, that we use to do little things like report vacations and absences doesn't work with IE9, because it screws up the nested menus. The internet gateway that we use, to guide people to the appropriate servers for HR, email, course information, etc. doesn't display properly in IE9.

They added a bunch of overhead, in IE9, that fights it out with existing systems.

@Amblyopic - Unfortunately we don't run an update server. I worked in private industry for 12 years, prior to taking a position in the university. Over the time since two words have become the bane of my existence; "academic freedom."

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 12-29-2011 at 06:56 PM..
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Quote:
I am in the IT department and I answered

Our purchasing system is buggered up by the additional security, that was added to IE9. Our HR system, that we use to do little things like report vacations and absences doesn't work with IE9, because it screws up the nested menus. The internet gateway that we use, to guide people to the appropriate servers for HR, email, course information, etc. doesn't display properly in IE9. Our secure purchasing system gets screwed up by the extra security that was added to IE9.

They added a bunch of overhead, in IE9, that fights it out with existing systems.
Feel your pain - that's why I haven't pushed it.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Yes you did Papa

Run Amsoil Product
Old 12-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #18
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Quote:

@Amblyopic - Unfortunately we don't run an update server. I worked in private industry for 12 years, prior to taking a position in the university. Over the time since two words have become the bane of my existence; "academic freedom."
I see your edit now.

but what I can't see is how "academic freedom" trumps running a stable enterprise --- do you just not get the support needed?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #19
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
I see your edit now.

but what I can't see is how "academic freedom" trumps running a stable enterprise --- do you just not get the support needed?
Well budget is a whole different discussion, since we're one of the few Canadian universities with a centralized IT department.

Academic Freedom is the absolute death of a controlled, and controllable, environment. We cannot mandate anything. The best we might be able to do, would be to exert a certain amount of control over operational departments, but in reality the policy extends pretty much everywhere as a general mindset.

In reality the best that we can do is to set the computers up as best we can to self update within the parameters set by necessary applications, provide an effective virus/spyware/rootkit solution, provide good perimeter security, and monitor for suspicious network behaviour (but not monitor specific data).

My position, in the university, is a sort of IT 'fireman.' I perform general maintenance functions, on a daily basis, but my primary function is on-site repair and clean-up. Apart from a few odd people, in various departments and faculties, there are 5 of us who cover the campus. If we do our jobs right, things flow along rather smoothly. Occasionally, though, we have a nightmare situation like the recent Wordpress TimThumb exploit. At times like that, we're run ragged.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 PM   #20
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Tough gig Pappa.

I don't get "academic freedom" --- do y'all at least have user agreements or acceptable use policies?