Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Aftermarket Modding

Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 PM   #31
Kerry_129
Semi-reformed Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
If it was a skilled middle weight to heavy rider, suspension is the best use of money, but thats not the case here.
Yeah, because only skilled riders have to brake hard or swerve....

Just bustin' your balls - but I do disagree & think that's a common misconception. If it were a top-shelf sportbike, OK (though then it would likely be way to stiff for her) - but stock SV's and many other 'budget' bikes with (non)damping-rod forks are simply friggin' pogo-sticks. You don't have to be a high-performance rider to benefit greatly from your suspension not sucking and having better control/feel/traction - especially in an emergency maneuver. On a bike with such a poor stock setup, I consider it a mandatory safety upgrade.
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #32
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post

Just bustin' your balls - but I do disagree & think that's a common misconception. If it were a top-shelf sportbike, OK (though then it would likely be way to stiff for her) - but stock SV's and many other 'budget' bikes with (non)damping-rod forks are simply friggin' pogo-sticks. You don't have to be a high-performance rider to benefit greatly from your suspension not sucking and having better control/feel/traction - especially in an emergency maneuver. On a bike with such a poor stock setup, I consider it a mandatory safety upgrade.
yay! post # 420 for you
Old 03-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #33
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129 View Post

Since I started off on an SV and learned to ride on the dragon with same SV without suspension upgrades, I feel pretty confident that the suspension is not a necessity at this point in her learning. Heck, I am a lot heavier than her.

When I upgraded the suspension when my progress demanded a decent suspension, I liked it a lot.

It is not mandatory, but it is very nice.

I never owned the emulators for the SV, most of the people on svrider I had chats with that tried racetech springs and emus and just springs alone said it was a little better, but not significantly. If you were wanting to spend the lot, either do the gixxer swap (which has issues) or the full fork rebuild by traxxion which is the best.

I was decently quick on the SV with no emus and had no suspension worries. I had a faster time on the SV for a few months after I got the CBARRR with a fully tuned suspension. Mostly due to throttle control and learning curve.

I think you are thinking too much of the sport aspect of it instead of just every day use. A lot of bikes have much worse suspension than the SV and will never know sport suspension that a lot of beginners ride and learn on. DS bikes setup for off road/crusiers/etc...

If I were to recommend one sport upgrade for the SV I would do before suspension, it would definitely be a steering damper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 03-31-2010 at 10:56 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:38 PM   #34
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I think thats only made for the 1000 but I remember sesing them on 650s

and the internet just confirmed me

that pic is of a 1k

But yeah, they make the chin fairing for the 650 as well.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #35
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I would get rid of the front and just have one or two small headlights with a Koso aftermarket gauge.

http://www.google.com/products?clien...ed=0CBYQzAMwAg

Check out this guys SV. http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=72996

Last edited by Rangerscott; 04-01-2010 at 12:37 AM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #36
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I owned a severely undersprung bike (ninja 250) and a majorly over sprung bike (currently GSXr) and re-valving/rear shock made a HUGE difference on both. Bike just starts to feel like it isn't fighting you all the time. cornering is much more controlled. If you have the money I would set the suspension up. Best mods I have made (thanks Kerry)

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #37
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Good find Ranger! I wanted to eventually change the front end and get rid of that awful big ass speedo. For now, I want to enjoy some windprotection.

You guys are all so resourceful and full of good ideas.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:09 AM   #38
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

The nice man at Sargent Cycles have me a nice discount on my seat. I love Sargent.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:53 AM   #39
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

If I were to recommend one sport upgrade for the SV I would do before suspension, it would definitely be a steering damper.
Serious? I put almost 52K on my SVS, and never felt like it needed a damper. It doesn't have a really aggressive rake & trail like a 600 or something.

Compared to the useless mods most people buy, $300 for suspension is well-spent. It's better than buying an exhaust IMO.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #40
Switch
dadbod

You don't need suspension. I promise.