Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 03-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
just about, subframe has to come out to include the front motor mount. major pain in the ass trying to unbolt the mount around the frame. and then when you go to put it back together the studs have spread out from the car's weight and you have to do your samson impression to pull the chassis back together enough to get the frame back in
there is an easier way. Ask me how I know.

For my bike I had to pull the gas tank, then the airbox, then the ignition system, then some crappy rubber flap, then a weird piece of plastic, almost half the body pannels, then a my mirrors because I have to get the windscreen support out of the way. And then I realised that I can skip a few other pieces and just use 3 universal joints to get to the plugs. Problem was that the socket wouldn't pull the plug out so I had to use a set of surgical clamps to reach in and pull it out. Thank god i didn't loose the socket or I would have had to pull the engine out.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 AM   #12
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

magnet on a stick works pretty good too.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #13
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I have one and cant find it
Old 03-13-2009, 04:16 AM   #14
bmblebee
Community Curmudgeon

Moto: '04 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
there is an easier way. Ask me how I know.

For my bike I had to pull the gas tank, then the airbox, then the ignition system, then some crappy rubber flap, then a weird piece of plastic, almost half the body pannels, then a my mirrors because I have to get the windscreen support out of the way. And then I realised that I can skip a few other pieces and just use 3 universal joints to get to the plugs. Problem was that the socket wouldn't pull the plug out so I had to use a set of surgical clamps to reach in and pull it out. Thank god i didn't loose the socket or I would have had to pull the engine out.
You couldn't lower the radiator and come in from the front?

If You Don't Know What Your Rights are...You Won't Have Any
bmblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
honda is really good about making what should be easy things into really complicated things.
ou ain't Kidding!
My 07 - 08 project was a 77 Honda 750 Supersport with a bent intake Valve Couldn't get the head off without
A : Pulling the engine out of the frame
B: Cutting the the Upper Gusset on the frame
Went with B cut the Gusset and rewelded.
Just for the record though Victory Bikes are a pain as well I have pull the seat and then to yank the tank to swap plugs
Old 03-13-2009, 08:57 AM   #16
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

On my Zuk I had that shit down to a 15 minute job. I had to do it often...pop the tank and bang...out they come. 2 of them I could get to without removing the tank or anything.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #17
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

I got valve adjustments on my VTX down to a 1 hour job. Starting at disassembly and finishing at ready to ride took less than 60 min. I've had to do it too many times. Pulling the seat, the tank, air cleaner, etc. Had a tool bag that only had the tools I needed to get the job done, to include the 18" long X 1/2" drive breaker bar for rotating the crank.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #18
Rider
Moto GP Star

My Kawi took well over an hour to change the plugs. It was a bitch getting around the frame and getting those coil packs out. The coil packs are about 4 inces long but the top of the cylinder head is only 3 inches from the frame.

I didn't put enough miles on the gixxer to have to change plugs.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:54 AM   #19
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

my daytona had some oil pressure issues when i rebuilt it. I have in car rod bearing swaps down in the forty minute range
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #20
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
my daytona had some oil pressure issues when i rebuilt it. I have in car rod bearing swaps down in the forty minute range
wow, thats quick
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote