Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Events

Old 03-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default Rally travel plans North crew

Ok since we keep hijacking other threads about travel here goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I think that our tentative plan is to meet at the rest stop in Delaware 5 miles south of the NJ/Delaware bridge, Probably start from either 7 or 8 am the do the 700 mile ride down I95, to I85 to I 40. Google says that it's a 12 hour ride. With stops and speeding I think it will take the entire 12 hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
ugh...Not the route I'd choose- way too much slab. I plan to take US219 as far as I can (which is NC abouts) and then head west. But I'll definitely be leaving early. 6am-ish is likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I see one possible problem here. We may hit rush hour in the baltimore DC area around then. Not sure if you would want to leave earlier or alter the route to bypass all of that.

I think youre pretty accurate on the time though. Figure if we avg 70 most of the way thats 10 hrs and factor in 2 hrs of break time. With all of us on sportier bikes I figure were good for about 150 miles or so on a tank (i can stretch it on the hwy to about 180) so we will be stopping roughly every 2 hrs anyway.

Now I am gettin excited, got some more work done on the bike last night, all I realy need now is an oil change, wash al;l the dirt/sand off (riding to the construction sites) clean and lube the chain and throw the battery back in and were good to go.

Tom
Quote:
Actually what I was thinking is if maybe we might want to leave the night before. Not sure what time folks get out of work, but it might be worth it to get past DCeven if it means leaving the rest stop at 10 and getting through DC at midnight. and finding a cheap roadside motel for $30. I 95 is littered with them just south of DC, plus I know of one with a strip joint attached, but I would put the bikes in the room for that one, then lock them up inside the room too. I'm all in favor of this, just because it means that thursday will be a shorter day, and that means more shenanigans for us!

Another possible route is to hang a right on I70 in baltimore, then a left on I81 heading south until you hit I26, then local 23 to 441 to 64 to 515 to TWO. not that I put too much thought into it or anything.

Oh and DC traffic means that we are fucked starting from about 530 am until about 10 then again from 2 til 8 or 9 at night. But if you take the outer loop and just ride it out it shouldnt be bad.
Quote:
See what sixxer wants to do. either plan works for me. I will prolly work at the jobsite that wednesday but will be home and can get on the road prety easily. Only thing is I will have ot leave here around 8 or so to meet you guys and may still get hit with some traffic on the NJ tpke and getting out of NYC. I am not familiar with the other route you mentioned and am not sure how traffic is around DC (will we be flowing with traffic or going against it in the AM) I have no prolem with leaving NY at 2 or 3 am to meet you guys or go earlier. I guess for sleeping somewhere we can see how it goes, sometimes I get that burst where I just want to get there and other times its just time to knock out for a bit. If we do several hrs in the dark I am sure the sun comming up will give us a little boost as well.

Tom
Quote:
Ive ridden through the night without realizing it before, and only stopped for a short nap. I should have my screaming meanie (the alarm clock to end all alarm clocks) so we could take a 2 hour nap in the middle of the night and be up just in time to watch a romantic sunrise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
If you guys want to leave in the Night to help ease the pain of traffic...I'm down, I'm a crazy fuck so Whatever works for the best Im down with...I'm the same way, sometimes I just wanna get there and I get all excited and shit other times Im like fuck it lets crash.
Quote:
Ok so now that we know were all crazy and dont give a flyin fuck do yall want to leave wed night or go late night so that were past dc before 4 or 5am. Baltimore and Dc cant be much more than an hr or 2 at the most from that rest spot. Fred would it be faster doing 95 to 85 or going the other way.

Tom

This is where it all went south

Quote:
How bad will it be if me derf and sixxer get there first and start drinking. we will burn the plcae down before anyone else gets there

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
It's only bad if you burn the damn place down.

Keep Derf away from fires. He's clumsy, ya know.
Quote:
So long as the ball gag stays in his stuff untill you arrive. Sixxer and I are much larger than he is and it wouldnt end well

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
IIRC, he was told to bring it, but that didn't mean he was going to be able to use it.

I've taken down bigger guys than him.
Ok so the tentative plan is for the north crew listed below to roll down the night before, and most likely stop somewhere late at night and be the first to arrive on the 7th, and get drunk, play with fire and ball gags (and possibly the baby jesus butt plug, but thats a whole nother story).

Directions still need sorting.

Right now this is who is coming from the north:

Tommy
Sixxxer
Derf
Phoenix Rider (please confirm)

Last edited by derf; 03-12-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: And damn lady do I ever hope you take me down
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

I need to check the forums more often, instead of new posts, this one slipped by me I was about to start a similar thread covering what you mentioned and alw what everyones bringing. I was thinking along the lines of tools, tire repair kit etc....

I have a prety good first aid bag and will bring some other stuff in case we need a procedure done in the field I also planned to order a trie repair kit, and am bringing my tool kit, a multi tool and a flash light or 2.

So now is it confirmed were leaving wed night, and if so about what time. i will prolly be working at the construction site wed till around 4 or 5. I will have the bike prepped and ready to go beforehand but would want to get a 3 or 4 hr nap in before we hit the road. Plus I would rather lleave NY a little later since I will hit traffic getting out of NYC even later in the evening.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

I was thinking the same thing, have the bike ready to go tuesday take a quick nap right after work, then wait for you to get here, ride into the night, maybe a small nap on the road on the way down, then get there kinda early
Old 03-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Don't think I'm riding with you folks. I much prefer to get a full night's sleep before going that far, instead of dragging ass after work. And I really do not want to ride slab all the way.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
derf
token jewboy

I was thinking leaving south NJ around 9 or 10 doing 5 or 6 hours and taking a break for a few hours, hell even an iron butt motel for 2-3 hours would be great and get down there early afternoon.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I was thinking leaving south NJ around 9 or 10 doing 5 or 6 hours and taking a break for a few hours, hell even an iron butt motel for 2-3 hours would be great and get down there early afternoon.
9 or 10 may not work, tha tmeans I have to leave NYC around 6 or 7 which means getting killed by traffic. I would be fine leavin glater so we can get a nap in before we go. Plus as were riding down the sun comming up may be that extra boost to get us all through. Obviously it will be a see how we feel sort of thing as far as if we push all the way through or stop for a nap somewhere. Either of you guys bringing a gps so we can find a place if need be. I have one but currently dont have a mount or a power source for it so I would have about 4 hrs of use off its own battery.

Tom
Old 03-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Yeh I'm good with whatever time...

I also have my GPS mounted, but I havn't hooked up the power outlet yet.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Yeh I'm good with whatever time...

I also have my GPS mounted, but I havn't hooked up the power outlet yet.
ok cool, I may have some other stuff to do/work on so ading a powerlet adapter was kinda far down on my list of stuff to do before the rally. Now how much travel time we looking at from that rest stop in delaware? With no traffic I can make it down there in about 3 hrs.

Tom
Old 03-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #9
derf
token jewboy

I just checked google earth, cool shit, I put the cursor exactly on the rest stop, and it says exactly 12 hours 700 miles
Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I just checked google earth, cool shit, I put the cursor exactly on the rest stop, and it says exactly 12 hours 700 miles
so its 12 hrs from there, thats what I was nto sure of. I think its 8 something from up here. If we average 70mph while on the road with breaks and stuff 12 hrs sounds about right. Figure we stop every 150 or so miles for gas so thats every 2 hrs, then just have to factor in how long our breaks will be which I guess we will see as we go. Once one of us gets fatigued we will pack it in for a bit.

Tom