Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #71
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

After The 09' Rally I took it to get tires put on and the oil changed...I asked them to adjust the chain since they were already doing work to the bike. Since that Visit till now I put barely 3k on the bike...And it was all NJ riding which is flat and straight.

And it wasnt noticeable until the last good month we had to ride up here...But it still shocked me that it was that far off...Because I rode the bike almost 3 thousand miles in 11 days to the 08' Rally and that was way harder on the bike than me riding around where I live. The only curves we have are on ramps...And I dont check the adjustment of the chain every single time I ride the bike...But it gets looked over more often than not.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #72
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
After The 09' Rally I took it to get tires put on and the oil changed...I asked them to adjust the chain since they were already doing work to the bike. Since that Visit till now I put barely 3k on the bike...And it was all NJ riding which is flat and straight.

And it wasnt noticeable until the last good month we had to ride up here...But it still shocked me that it was that far off...Because I rode the bike almost 3 thousand miles in 11 days to the 08' Rally and that was way harder on the bike than me riding around where I live. The only curves we have are on ramps...And I dont check the adjustment of the chain every single time I ride the bike...But it gets looked over more often than not.
Gues syou dont wan tto hear I will turn 10k on the triumph this week an dI bought it new back in august.

I dont check th eslack too often but have to clean it quite a bit since I am going through a lot of muck and concrete getting on and of fthe site. A lot of the dust/debris can get in and mess up the o-rings
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #73
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Gues syou dont wan tto hear I will turn 10k on the triumph this week an dI bought it new back in august.

I dont check th eslack too often but have to clean it quite a bit since I am going through a lot of muck and concrete getting on and of fthe site. A lot of the dust/debris can get in and mess up the o-rings
Goddamn Tommy...That's hauling!!

I have bad Chain Etiquette. But other than riding in the rain I dont get much debris on my chain. I do need to lube it more often than I do.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #74
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
You can tell it's off easily while cleaning/lubing it. Maintaining it should pretty much count as checking for slack.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #75
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
Goddamn Tommy...That's hauling!!

I have bad Chain Etiquette. But other than riding in the rain I dont get much debris on my chain. I do need to lube it more often than I do.
You sound like Kyle, Kyle didn't do a damn thing to his and his bike started running like complete shit. He took off the front sprocket cover and it was full of rocks and shit.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:52 PM   #76
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
You can tell it's off easily while cleaning/lubing it. Maintaining it should pretty much count as checking for slack.
I have checked it a few times and it was ok, I havent checked it since I started riding it regularly the last 2 weeks. I am swapping my tires wed/thurs so Iiwll give it a look then.

An old local mechanic go tme into the habit of cleaning my chain. if it was dirty/rusty he would yell at you, so I started doing it so I wouldnt get yelled at if nothing else. if I wasnt going on and off hte jobsites so much I wouldnt have to clean it as much.

Apparently there is also debate on chain cleaning too, but I do buy into not using too much lube as it can help collect dirt/debris if its realy globbed on there.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #77
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
I have checked it a few times and it was ok, I havent checked it since I started riding it regularly the last 2 weeks. I am swapping my tires wed/thurs so Iiwll give it a look then.

An old local mechanic go tme into the habit of cleaning my chain. if it was dirty/rusty he would yell at you, so I started doing it so I wouldnt get yelled at if nothing else. if I wasnt going on and off hte jobsites so much I wouldnt have to clean it as much.

Apparently there is also debate on chain cleaning too, but I do buy into not using too much lube as it can help collect dirt/debris if its realy globbed on there.
I clean and lube my chained bikes pretty regularly. My shit always look new, except when I buy a poorly maintained chain like what was on the DRZ. Damn Fatburg. LOL
Old 03-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #78
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I clean and lube my chained bikes pretty regularly. My shit always look new, except when I buy a poorly maintained chain like what was on the DRZ. Damn Fatburg. LOL
I always try to keep the chain clean so I can easily notice that orange color of the grease as some of the rings start to fail.

Mines looking good for now but may swap it out at the end of this season, I will likley break 20k by fall and with all the riding on the jobsites I dont need a catastrophic failure.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #79
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
I get yelled at all the time because my GS is "too clean."

In fact, I put new tires on it before going to Daytona. I had people asking me if it was a new bike because the tires had nipples on them. I reminded them you can actually buy new tires and replace the existing ones I learned my lesson not cleaning bikes - bad shit happens...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #80
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
I get yelled at all the time because my GS is "too clean."

In fact, I put new tires on it before going to Daytona. I had people asking me if it was a new bike because the tires had nipples on them. I reminded them you can actually buy new tires and replace the existing ones I learned my lesson not cleaning bikes - bad shit happens...
I let the GS get dirty and stay dirty on occassion, but the working parts of it I will make sure everything is maintained and clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!