Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-27-2009, 02:17 AM   #21
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle.of.doom View Post
I wonder if it kicks back at you like car abs?
Well he said there was no "surging" so I guess not... It sounds like good idea to me and as far as the weight,if I'm not mistaken,the regular bike lost some lbs so maybe it'll even out. As long as it's not "linked" as well. I can't fucking stand linked brakes! I rode my buds CBR1100XX and I gave it back to him after a few miles,it drove me nuts!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #22
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
as tigger said below... every review I've read about it says NO SURGING... and it doesn't kick in until the last possible moment... so other than the tire not locking up... it's completely un noticeable... though Phi Sig said he did notice it kick on... but didn't say how... so I don't think it was anything that would bug ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Well he said there was no "surging" so I guess not... It sounds like good idea to me and as far as the weight,if I'm not mistaken,the regular bike lost some lbs so maybe it'll even out. As long as it's not "linked" as well. I can't fucking stand linked brakes! I rode my buds CBR1100XX and I gave it back to him after a few miles,it drove me nuts!
it is a linked system... but it's an ACTIVE linked system... meaning if you jam on the brake... it activates BOTH brakes to slow you down.. but adjusts them so they don't lock up... so as you brake the back brake comes on fully to "squat" the motorcycle... along with the front brake... as you continue to brake the ratio of back brake to full brake changes.. the rear brake is let up to stop a rear tire skid...

not something I'd think you'd want on the track... but on the street I think it'd be fine...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:10 AM   #23
MILK
The cows want you dead.

I've had to use it several times in the 4 years I've had my bike and I've never had a problem with it kicking back. I've talked to plenty of folks who have ABS and like me they highly recommend it to other riders. My VFR has linked brakes as well.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #24
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Hey I'm OLD and set in my ways! I just don't like the rear brake engaging when all I want is front and I especially don't want the front engaging when all I want is rear.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #25
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Uh, 20 extra pounds? On a 600, that's a difference even a newbie could feel. And how much does it cost, and how reliable are the sensors and control unit before they break down and require hundreds of dollars to replace?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
really? Phi Sig said he didn't notice... he's not a noob...

20 lbs all depends on WHERE it is... the reason you notice your tank so much is where the fuel is stored... and you notice the difference because you know how it feels WITH and WITH OUT that weight...

where as on the bike... it's always gonna be there... unless your jumping between an ABS version and a NON ABS version... you'll not notice it.
Thanks Ebbs!

Homeslice, been riding since I was a kid, doing trackdays for three years, formerly licensed roadracer, and current MSF Ridercoach. You don't get paid to ride a bunch of brand new bikes as a newb. Having ridden a Non-ABS CBR600RR on Friday and the ABS version on Monday, so practically back to back, I could not feel a difference in handling due to weight. I couldn't feel the difference in weight at all honestly, honda's press crap says they engineered the placement of the ABS hardware to minimize the effect of the extra pounds and they did a damn fine job.

Quote:
As Tig or Ebbs stated above, I swore I could feel the ABS coming on, but it wasn't really noticable in a manner you would assume, no kickback, no surging, nothing changed really. I honestly think it might have just been my brain telling me something was wrong because I was braking hard enough to lock it up but it wasn't, and I think given enough time on the bike I would never even notice it.

I also rode the new Bandit 1250 with ABS in the rain and I was impressed by that as well. I had only ever ridden a older generation BMW ABS on a GS, and they had some issues with level feel that I didn't like.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #26
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

so Phi... did you notice any difference between the two ABS bikes? Honda's is supposed to be completely different in that it's brake by wire at high speeds and hydro at low.... specifically designed for sportbikes...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #27
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

I wonder if its as gay as k-pube-b?

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #28
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
so Phi... did you notice any difference between the two ABS bikes? Honda's is supposed to be completely different in that it's brake by wire at high speeds and hydro at low.... specifically designed for sportbikes...
Honestly I pushed the CBR hard on the brakes trying to get a reaction and couldn't, the bandit I didn't really try, I trail braked harder than I normally would in the rain but that's about it. I didn't notice any discernible difference but I was also riding the two systems differently.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #29
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Does any bike that has ABS able to turn it off?
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #30
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Check out the new SPORT RIDER for this month. They test the 09 CBR600RR C-ABS.... sounded like they like it.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote