Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Manufacturer War

Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #41
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
Well that's the intent, But not all of the bikes where some or all of the spin was canceled out have worked well.

Actually I think the reverse rotating cranks didn't work very good, and at least some of the counter rotating crank bikes did okay.
As far as I remember, the MCyz has a mostly standard I4. It lies in the frame longways instead of across. Never heard of a counter- or revers- rotating crank. Spinning the engine the opposite direction wouldn't change anything except one gearset in the transmission.

BMW has some bizarre conterbalancing schemes though. The 800GS has a weird levered counterweight thing the crank forces down on the piston upstroke.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 AM   #42
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
As far as I remember, the MCyz has a mostly standard I4. It lies in the frame longways instead of across. Never heard of a counter- or revers- rotating crank. Spinning the engine the opposite direction wouldn't change anything except one gearset in the transmission.

BMW has some bizarre conterbalancing schemes though. The 800GS has a weird levered counterweight thing the crank forces down on the piston upstroke.
While I think it runs long ways, I think it also has 2 cranks which spin opposite ways.

As for not changing anything with the crank spinning backwards, ever pay attention to the freestyle guys, and how they use the throttle to either lift or drop the front end? The same forces happen whether the bike is in the air or on the ground.

As well as there are a number of yamaha engines that had 2 cranks, which iirc at least some of them had cranks that spin opposite each other.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 PM   #43
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

The square 4 engines had 2 cranks.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #44
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
The square 4 engines had 2 cranks.
So did the RZ V4's
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #45
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsv1000R View Post
While I think it runs long ways, I think it also has 2 cranks which spin opposite ways.

As for not changing anything with the crank spinning backwards, ever pay attention to the freestyle guys, and how they use the throttle to either lift or drop the front end? The same forces happen whether the bike is in the air or on the ground.

As well as there are a number of yamaha engines that had 2 cranks, which iirc at least some of them had cranks that spin opposite each other.
exactly, the cyz has counter rotating cranks. Ought to be a very neutral bike. Doubt he'll ever make them affordable though
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote