Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 03-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
elimental
fizzerriderextraordinaire

Moto: '98 fzr600
Default fzr wont start?

Got the VR in the mail earlier this week, went out and bought a RC plane fuel tank to do the overflow tank thing [which looks great!], the R6 short can should be in today with the rest of my mail, got a new maint. free battery all charged and ready to go. Itll crank, but the damn thing wont start! its got gas in the tank, air filter's clean, and good spark across all 4 cyl. but no dice. had a bit of an issue looking for the choke since i was used to the choke on my kawi 250 being on the left handle bar and to my surprise this one didnt seem to have it there, but by where the petcock would be on a regular bike? [unless im blind and it was there all along]

I'll be giving it a thorough carb cleaning next week since ill have time then and see how it goes. But before i start taking things off it, anyone have any input as to what else it could be?

http://myspace.com/elimental
elimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #2
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

My suggestion was going to be cleaning the carbs. Any idea on how long its been since they were cleaned or how long its been since the bike was ridden regularly?
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
elimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
My suggestion was going to be cleaning the carbs. Any idea on how long its been since they were cleaned or how long its been since the bike was ridden regularly?
previous owner said it ran last summer, he wasnt much into bikes though. he had left it parked in his house with the fuel still in it. [so much for using those fuel lines] drained it and put new fuel in it and no dice.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

It probably is just gummed up carbs. With him just leaving fuel in it they probably need to be cleaned out real well and I would thing youll be all set.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

FZR carbs are finicky - I can pull mine and clean then in the dark at this point. I've had them apart more than 3 dozen times in trying to get my bike to run correctly. Tear them down, clean them out - all cracks and ports. Then put them back together and try again.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimental View Post
Got the VR in the mail earlier this week, went out and bought a RC plane fuel tank to do the overflow tank thing [which looks great!], the R6 short can should be in today with the rest of my mail, got a new maint. free battery all charged and ready to go. Itll crank, but the damn thing wont start! its got gas in the tank, air filter's clean, and good spark across all 4 cyl. but no dice. had a bit of an issue looking for the choke since i was used to the choke on my kawi 250 being on the left handle bar and to my surprise this one didnt seem to have it there, but by where the petcock would be on a regular bike? [unless im blind and it was there all along]

I'll be giving it a thorough carb cleaning next week since ill have time then and see how it goes. But before i start taking things off it, anyone have any input as to what else it could be?
Keep looking for the choke cable. Maybe the previous owner broke or removed the choke cable? Some older bikes could have a choke lever on the side of one of the outside carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
FZR carbs are finicky - I can pull mine and clean then in the dark at this point. I've had them apart more than 3 dozen times in trying to get my bike to run correctly. Tear them down, clean them out - all cracks and ports. Then put them back together and try again.
When you cleaned the carbs, did you take off the top covers and clean the piston/needle and walls, air bleeds, and check the rubber diaphragm for tears or holes? When you put the top covers back on, did you use Vaseline
in the groove of the diaphragm? An air leak there and the carbs won't run for crap.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:06 AM   #7
elimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Keep looking for the choke cable. Maybe the previous owner broke or removed the choke cable? Some older bikes could have a choke lever on the side of one of the outside carbs.

When you cleaned the carbs, did you take off the top covers and clean the piston/needle and walls, air bleeds, and check the rubber diaphragm for tears or holes? When you put the top covers back on, did you use Vaseline
in the groove of the diaphragm? An air leak there and the carbs won't run for crap.

confirmed! lever is on the side but it appears to be an aftermarket choke? its definitely not the OEM assembly, perhaps one from a different bike. I'll take it apart next thursday cause i'll have time then. The bike has had a yzf tank conversion so i didnt even see a petcock in there. seems like i have some restoring to do!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
elimental

so i cleaned the carbs thoroughly, assembled everything back. turn the key fuel pump winds up and does its lil thing for a few seconds and then it stops. I press the start button and the bike sputters but wont start up. you can hear it wants to start but it just doesnt go. How much is the fuel pump supposed to pump out when the key is turned to the on position? is it supposed to be a stream, or is it supposed to just drip a bit?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #9
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

check your fuel filter, also alot of times on a cold start with carbs it can help to stuff a rag in the tailpipe (of course pull it as soon as she fires!). the problem is fuel atomisation and sometimes that extra restriction is just what you needed. good luck!
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
elimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
check your fuel filter, also alot of times on a cold start with carbs it can help to stuff a rag in the tailpipe (of course pull it as soon as she fires!). the problem is fuel atomisation and sometimes that extra restriction is just what you needed. good luck!
I put a new fuel filter in today and nothing. im gonna empty out the tank and put new fuel in and spray some starter fluid on the carbs. hopefully she'll start tomorrow.