Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Around the World > Southwest Riders

Old 03-17-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
Ol' Man Rider
Got Busa???

Moto: 07 ZX-6R (track) Busa on Spray (street/strip) 110 mini-motard
Default First time at cross creek today

I took my son out today for a few hours on his 80 for his second time at a dirt bike park. We originally tried del valle thinking they would be open during spring break like most other parks, but they were closed. So, we opted to make the drive to cross creek. I am very happy we did because that's the most fun I've had on a dirt-bike since I was a kid. I took my 110 mini-motard with street tires out simply to putt around with him to keep him company on the pee-wee track. Even though it was a little muddy and I wasn't on anything I'd feel comfortable taking to the larger tracks the pee-wee track and trails were a blast.

If I can continue to get steady work and free up some cash i think I'm going to buy a 250 2-stroke or a 450 4-stroke for dirt. Track days on the 600's are much more expensive and the I can take my son to the dirt parks and do something we can enjoy together. :thumb: I've been wanting to sell my track bike for nearly a year since responbilities simply haven't allowed me to do local racing or even track days. I've had several friends tell me I should head out to the dirt parks with them and I always considered it something I might do occasionally. Now, with all things considered it might just become my new hobby of choice.

Oh, and by the time my son was on his 15th or so lap he was getting about a foot of air on the jumps. I was suprised, proud, and nervous all at the same time. He only has about 6 or 8 hrs of collective riding experience on his bike and he has taken to it well. In fact, I wanted him to bring his 4-wheeler with him for spring break because I preferred he take it to the park (about 2yrs f riding experience on it), but in dealing with my ex that just wasn't in the cards for him this year. So, apprehensive as I was for him to even run the pee-wee track it was where he felt most comfortable.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 AM   #2
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Dirt riding has its appeal...
I tried going that way a few years back, but I jumped in too quickly before realizing how physically demanding it can be.
If you're in good shape or are willing to whip yourself into shape so you can really make the most of it, it's great stuff.

Me? I'm too frackin' lazy for all that.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Cross Creek is a great all-around compound, they have a track for complete beginner kids to "pro" adults.(pro race class anyway) Riding dirt was fun until gas went for $4 a gallon and you really can't ride your bike anywhere BUT a track. According to TX law, all property is OWNED by someone, the state being one of them, and you can get a ticket from a cop by operating your vehicle on that land. How stupid...

BTW Del Valle is only open Sat/Sun and if it rains too much they won't be open at all. Riding in heavy mud fucks the track up with ruts and major dips/bumps.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
Chris S
Kneedragger

Moto: '07 KTM Super Duke (for sale), '07 KTM 300 XC-W

Welcome to the dark side! I discovered the same back around '01, when I was roadracing and bought a dirt bike for crosstraining - not expecting it to be so much fun!

There are plenty other good places to ride around Centex - Boulder Creek, City Park (beginner loop, it's short but in town and free), CTOR, and Cherokee. Also look into AMSA, we have a family fun day around once a month, often on otherwise private land.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote