Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N
Default Testing my Glucose levels for a week

Well thought it was about time to keep up with it and see if I'm a diabetic or have Hyperglycemia.

Just checked it and I haven't eaten anything since around 1pm I think with some soda (slow drinker) and it was at 124. Me so hungry right now. The tester told me before meal it should be 70-130 and after meal 70-180. 124 seems kinda high to be this late I would think.

Still peeing clear from the soda and often. I hate this crap. I've lived with it for as long as I can remember. I hate not being able to drink as much as I want and not have to worry about draining the lizard every 15 minutes until it stops.

CVS.com had this sucker marked down from $70 to $10.

Gonna eat something and test again.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

So are you trying to give your self the BEETUS by drinking soda? What the hell are you talking about? Every diabetic person I know is definitely in a bad way if they don't take what they need.

I'm sure talking to a doctor would be a much more logical method. Your post doesn't make very much sense.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Old 12-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Your post does sound like a stoner wrote it.

So what the hell are you talking about? You think you have it? You do have it? You're convincing yourself you have it?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #5
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Damn dude. Why are you looking at this like a homework assignment? I'm just checking my level because diabetes runs in the family and I've had some of the symptoms of both diabetes and hyperglycemia for years.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Damn dude. Why are you looking at this like a homework assignment? I'm just checking my level because diabetes runs in the family and I've had some of the symptoms of both diabetes and hyperglycemia for years.
Huh? I'm was referring to your post not making any sense. Why wouldn't you go to the doctor if you believe you have a problem? Using a self tester to check your sugar levels isn't going to tell you shit. I think you're getting into your head about it.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

The soda ruined any chance for you to have a good read. Try again another day. your best bet is to try it every few hours until you get your "baseline" down. Have a normal meal tonight, dont do anything tommorrow, and dont eat or drink anything (except water) after 8pm tommorrow night. Take it when you go to bed, 4-8 hours after your last meal. Then again 1/2 an hour after you wake up, but before you eat anything. This is the easiest way to get the no food reading. Eat a normal breakfast, wait 1 hour take the test again, then right before you eat lunch, then an hour after lunch, same for dinner. Do the same routine the following day but test yourself 1/2 hour after you eat. That will give you a baseline to go by, and you can compare numbers for future reference.

Even though the simple sugars in soda pretty much go through your body in no time, if you don't have any simple sugars (soda, coffee with sugar, candy etc...) they will still linger in your body giving you abnormally higher levels for a few days.

124 isn't that bad, slightly high, but I bet it's because of the soda you drank. I bet that without soda your fasting sugar will be in the 110-115 range which is perfectly normal. At 124 that could be just your diet, cut out sugars, like soda, and it will drop super quick.

I test every tuesday morning and I generally see numbers in the 95-110 range depending on what I ate the few days prior. I have also seen numbers as high as 142, which triggered a quick trip and stay in the hospital over night (after which my sugar was back down in the "normal" range).

Like I said 124 isn't bad, just watch what you eat, keep a log of what you eat and your sugar levels if you are really that scared.

***Disclaimer***

Go see a doc and get them to evaluate you. Those home testers are OK, but the cheaper ones can be off 5-10 if they are not calibrated correctly. $70 is pretty cheap for a testing unit. My cheap one cost me $350.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I test every tuesday morning and I generally see numbers in the 95-110 range depending on what I ate the few days prior. I have also seen numbers as high as 142, which triggered a quick trip and stay in the hospital over night (after which my sugar was back down in the "normal" range).

You went to the hospital at 142? that doesn't seem that high. I think my dad has told me he can spike up to 180's after a meal. Which according to this chart puts him at pre-diabetic.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
You went to the hospital at 142? that doesn't seem that high. I think my dad has told me he can spike up to 180's after a meal. Which according to this chart puts him at pre-diabetic.
It's not that high, but I got scared shitless because its above the normal range and I hadn't eaten. The docs there just kept me as a precaution to keep checking what my levels were
Old 12-30-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
I dont even get intrested in talking to you unless youre above 300. I diagnosed a new diabetic with a sugar of 900 guy came in walking nad talking and had some real nonspeciffic complaints and figured let me send some blood of ffor shits and giggles. was fun admitting to the MICU from fast track
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote