Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
Rider
Moto GP Star

Default Gear not covered?

Alright so most of you already know about my "get off" a couple of weeks ago. Now I find our my gear is not covered under my bike insurance. It is covered however under my home owners policy.... where my detectable is $1K. The gear I was wearing (jacket, helmet, gloves, boots) adds up to about that or just under so it's not worth making a claim. WTF? I thought gear was covered under your auto policy.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Depends on your policy I guess. I know mine is covered with my insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Not sure about my policy as far as gear is concerned.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
Depends on your policy I guess. I know mine is covered with my insurance.
I guess so!

I would've thought it would be covered as well, because I've heard of others who've had their gear covered in a get-off (and their aftermarket accessories, too), but sounds like that's just their specific ins co/policy.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Leon
WERA Yellow Plate

I've heard of gear being covered by auto insurance if you're hit by a car and the driver is at fault. If you're claiming it on your own policy, it may not be covered. Depends on your policy.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I've heard of gear being covered by auto insurance if you're hit by a car and the driver is at fault. If you're claiming it on your own policy, it may not be covered. Depends on your policy.
Michigan is a no fault state. So the claim goes against my policy anyway no matter who is at fault.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Leon
WERA Yellow Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Michigan is a no fault state. So the claim goes against my policy anyway no matter who is at fault.
That sucks, Florida used to be a no-fault state, but we still had the right to sue, since the "limited tort" option was not part of out laws.

So when I has hit by a car and it was their fault, they had to cover everything. I let my insurance company know and they told me to call them if the other insurance gave me any problems. Otherwise they were staying out of it.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Whoa buckaroo! Last I knew,Mi's no fault laws do not apply to motorcycles. When I was rear ended,the other guy's bike insurance paid for my bike and my medical because he was at fault.

Now as far as gear goes,some companies include a preset amount of gear coverage and some don't. If I were you,I'd look at my bike policy very closely... do not just trust the adjuster's word for it! Also,look into your auto policy and your home owner's policy. A lot of times,homeowner's insurance covers losses not covered by auto policies,like stolen and damaged personal items. Also,since another vehicle was involved,you may be able to claim your medical bills,lost work and your gear against his policy regardless of fault. Make sure you at least call them and check. Trust me,his truck ran over your leg,they would be MORE than happy to pay a couple medical bills,work days and for some gear than the cost of a lawsuit,win or lose! Besides,if they owe anything based on ins. law,your ins will subrogate the money from his company after the fact. Quite frankly,that guy probably called his ins company and they may be just waiting for you to call them.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 11-17-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

yeah I tried like hell to get mine covered... but it's only covered if there's a statute requiring it. I even tried to use military Regs showing I'm required by military law to wear it... no joy.

the weird thing is I wonder if I went down in a state with no helmet law would my helmet be covered? at least I got $ for that.

sorry to hear about that though Rider... doesn't make any sense to me... you'll pay my fuck'n medical bills if I go to the hospital for not wearing gear... but not the gear that's saving you money by keeping me out of the hospital...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
yeah I tried like hell to get mine covered... but it's only covered if there's a statute requiring it. I even tried to use military Regs showing I'm required by military law to wear it... no joy.

the weird thing is I wonder if I went down in a state with no helmet law would my helmet be covered? at least I got $ for that.

sorry to hear about that though Rider... doesn't make any sense to me... you'll pay my fuck'n medical bills if I go to the hospital for not wearing gear... but not the gear that's saving you money by keeping me out of the hospital...
In Michigan, the motorcycle rider's insurance doesn't pay the medical bills anyway if it is involved in an accident with a car. Now if it's a just a self inflicted off like your's.... then yes they would cover it. I got 3 years and 1 crash out of that Shoei... It served it's purpose. Time for a new lid anyway.