Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 11-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT
Default Pics from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska trip

I know it's been a couple of months and I haven't posted many pics.

Honestly, this trip took a mental toll on me that I did not expect, and had never experienced before. When we got back home, I was pissed that I felt like I wasted 3 weeks of vacation time, I was pissed that it didn't feel like a vacation at all and was really more work than it should have been, so I just didn't really come back with a warm fuzzy feeling.

Fast forward 2 months, I'm much happier now about it. LOL. It was worth it, even though I doubt my motorcycle travels will ever take me to Prudhoe Bay again (unless one of my friends are as hardheaded as me and tells me they will go by themselves).

I have been riding since 1993. 18 years of riding experience, 8 years of vacations By Way of Motorcycle, 100,000 plus miles under my belt, and visiting every state in the country didn't prepare me for the assault on my senses this trip provided.

This was something that I have planned in the back of my mind for 8 years. I knew it was something I could not ask anybody to do with me. I never asked my best friend to go. He was prepared to let me go by myself until he read up on the Dalton Highway. Thanks to other friends telling him to not let me go by myself, to him finally realizing what this trip was, he said *there's no way I'm letting you go by yourself.* He bought a KLR like mine, prepped it himself, set aside 3 weeks of vacation, and we did it.

We've been best friends for 22 years. The ONLY reason we didn't strangle each other is because we have been friends that long.

It wasn't easy, and I will tell anybody that asks not to go, and it's not worth the trouble of getting there. Of course, these words are empty, as anybody that's *thinking* about going up there, has already decided they are going, and I won't be able to talk them out of it. People tried to talk me out of it. No. I had to do this.

On to the pictures. Enough of my rambling. If y'all have any specific questions, let me know and I'll gladly answer them.

It'll take a bit to link and add captions, so freakin' be patient.

Last edited by G-Rex; 11-13-2011 at 08:49 PM..
G-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
G-Rex
Where to next?

Welcome to Saskatchewan. I hadn't been to Canada in 5 years.

I think we took a wrong turn somewhere! Canada was experiencing bad flooding just like the northern US was.

My Spot Tracker doin' it's thing. We were surrounded by canola. It had a pretty strong smell. Pretty cool. This was south of Regina. (I still laugh when I say that out loud)

Do these things even work?! I'm not so sure! LOL

Mile 0 of the Alcan Highway. 1523 miles to the north, welcome to Fairbanks.

Last edited by G-Rex; 11-13-2011 at 08:28 PM..
Old 11-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #3
G-Rex
Where to next?

The Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake.

An applicable spot for us to leave a BWOM sticker.

My best friend being goofy. There was NO traffic up here.

Artsy. LOL

Last edited by G-Rex; 11-13-2011 at 08:50 PM..
Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
G-Rex
Where to next?

My second time going to Alaska. Nobody can say I *cheated* this time though.

I had dreamed of standing here for several years. It was a pretty emotional moment for me. I didn't know Billy snapped this photo until later.

Shit's gettin' real now.

If your best friend will go to up to the Arctic Ocean with you, he's a friend for life. My best friend Billy and I. I'm glad we did it together.

We ran into these guys at the Arctic Circle. They were on vacation too, and chose to celebrate getting there with a beer, cigar, and their shorts. LOL Before Fred asks, they asked me to take a picture to email them, so :P

Old 11-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
G-Rex
Where to next?

The pipeline. My bike was a little dirty, and the road wasn't even bad yet.

The Spot Tracker got it's fair share too.

You give these guys the right-of-way, or you'll die. That's pretty much all there is to it.

We are still northbound. Behind me, you can see the Brooks Range and Atigun Pass. On the way through here the next day, 24 hours after this photo was taken, it was blizzard conditions.

The Carlisle Trucking Prudhoe Bay yard of Ice Road Truckers fame.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
G-Rex
Where to next?

Fuck. Yes! We made it!

Photo op on the way back south to Fairbanks.

It was high 30s. I was wearing 4 of everything and felt like the Sta-Puft marshmallow man.

Leaving Fairbanks on the way to Anchorage, my rear tire blew out. Good thing I planned for that one. Sorta. LOL

There weren't a TON of pictures after this, as we started heading back to the US, and the temps were high 30s, low 40s, rain, and cloudy, and just miserable conditions.

Hope y'all enjoy a small taste of the trip.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Why'd some say you "cheated" before ?

Kickass pics, man. Congrats on the successful trip.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
G-Rex
Where to next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Why'd some say you "cheated" before ?

Kickass pics, man. Congrats on the successful trip.
Several people say I *cheated* before, because in 2005 I rode to Hyder, Alaska for my Alaska state sign. If you look at the map, Hyder is at the very bottom of the leg for Alaska, so it's not the *big* part of Alaska.

Hyder is still 900 miles and 2 days north of Seattle, so for the people that said I cheated, I told them to go do it then come talk to me.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Several people say I *cheated* before, because in 2005 I rode to Hyder, Alaska for my Alaska state sign. If you look at the map, Hyder is at the very bottom of the leg for Alaska, so it's not the *big* part of Alaska.

Hyder is still 900 miles and 2 days north of Seattle, so for the people that said I cheated, I told them to go do it then come talk to me.
Well that's just freaking stupid.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Love the fact that you made this trip. Frankly, I think the above pic should have been your entry for pic of the month after you returned. I think it says so much more about the trip.

What was it that caused you to feel like you initially regretted the trip? Do you think you didn't take enough time? Did you feel like you didn't experience enough while up there? Or was it something completely different?
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote