Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 11-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Then come up with another topic that hasn't been beat to death and we'll post over there.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Yep, and it'll continue, until people admit that a large fraction of these things are purchased just cuz of the hype.

And as for crash protection? Just because something is big & heavy doesn't automatically prove that its occupant safety is better than a smaller/lighter vehicle. In fact several small/midsize cars have superior crash results to some of these SUVs.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
z06boy
Letzroll

My trendy suv...yep styling and profiling.

In the sand...

...and the snow...

Old 11-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
My trendy suv...yep styling and profiling.

In the sand...

...and the snow...
And how often does it snow that much there? How often do you drive onto the beach? Better yet, how often does a Cali resident do those things? Pretty much never, yet about 50% of what I see on the road here is a well-dressed office worker in a brand-new upscale SUV or pickup.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #5
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
And how often does it snow that much there? How often do you drive onto the beach? Better yet, how often does a Cali resident do those things? Pretty much never, yet about 50% of what I see on the road here is a well-dressed office worker in a brand-new upscale SUV or pickup.
Don't know about Cali. Only snows a couple times a year here usually BUT since that is the case we have almost NO snow clearing equipment for the roads so it will last for days so I'm prepared because I need to be at work even/especialy when others can't make it. A few times a year on the beach.

4x4 high (part-time) also works when it's pouring down rain so that's a plus too.

I bought this thing in 2002 and also pulled my boat with it until I traded boats in 2006..now I could use a bigger SUV.

Point is...I use mine.

Since mine isn't brand-new or upscale I guess your statements don't apply to me anyways.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
shmike
Follower

Quote:
My boss drives a brand new upscale pick-up. He wears a tie to work everyday.

His wife drives a brand new H2 to tote the kids back and forth to school and get to her tennis matches. I'm sure you'd scoff at them.

On the weekends they use their vehicles at their ranch. 4WD is needed.

If they aren't at the ranch they may be at their other house pulling one of their boats out of a muddy bay.

Ever go to a trackday?

Glamis?

The local boat ramp?
Old 11-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Yep, and it'll continue, until people admit that a large fraction of these things are purchased just cuz of the hype.
Are we talking about SMART cars or hybrids?

Those are over hyped. SUV's may have been "hyped" 5 years ago but I haven't seen any ad's, studies or other "hype" recently.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Are we talking about SMART cars or hybrids?

Those are over hyped. SUV's may have been "hyped" 5 years ago but I haven't seen any ad's, studies or other "hype" recently.
I see it all the time. TV ads showing women driving home on a rainy night, making their way thru a construction zone (like as if that's difficult).......And if the commerical is really good, a tree limb will fall in front of her.

It's a war zone out there!! You need AWD and a high seat to make it home alive!!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I see it all the time. TV ads showing women driving home on a rainy night, making their way thru a construction zone (like as if that's difficult).......And if the commerical is really good, a tree limb will fall in front of her.

It's a war zone out there!! You need AWD and a high seat to make it home alive!!
I have had a few days like the tv ads. Construction site with something blocking part of the road. I could get around and over while others had to wait. I was also able to climb curbs to get to an empty lane (which I could also do in my 2wd truck because it didn't sit low like a car) and I have also been able to park at the back of a construction site because of the suv. The muddy lot wasn't much of and issue in the suv but a car would have taken a beating if it made it at all.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
squidward
KTM? Who makes those?

Moto: 09 KTM 450 XC-F

Quote:

And as for crash protection? Just because something is big & heavy doesn't automatically prove that its occupant safety is better than a smaller/lighter vehicle. In fact several small/midsize cars have superior crash results to some of these SUVs.
I'm still looking for someone to argue that point. There are many SUV/pickup owners that never use them for their intended purposes....they just bought them because they want them. People buy SUVs, pickups, sports cars, sport bikes, H-D's, etc. because it's their money and they can spend it on whatever they damn well please without having to justify their choices to anyone.

Somewhat on topic, I love my 4wd Silverado. It hauls my KTM 450 regularly, handles well enough for a lumbering beast, and is all around pleasant to drive. Mileage still sucks even though it is better than my old 2wd Avalanche....even with the larger engine.

If I want a fun vehicle to drive, I snag the keys to my wife's GTI.
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote