Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 07-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630
Default Casual Riding Boots With Good Protection?

I'm on the hunt for something I can wear to work (desk job). I'm having a hard time finding something that protects well (good ankle/shin protection). Any suggestions?

Putting my leathers on for a 15 minute ride to work, and then changing clothes when I get there isn't really feasible.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Icon Field Armor boots. I've crashed mine twice and OSP crashed his and we both walked away without any damage.

http://www.rideicon.com/product_deta...y=1978&id=7889

Otherwise they offer a number of boots that are more casual but I believe would be less protective. Oh FWIW, the Field Armor boots are super comfortable IMHO.

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 09-21-2009 at 10:00 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
jtemple
Geek

I already went down that road. Those were my first pair of boots. I hate the fat toebox on them. It was impossible to get my shifter adjusted enough so I could get those Frankenstein boots under it. I wore them once, and sold them on Ebay.

No doubt, they're protective. But, if I can't ride my bike on them, what's the point?

I just found these:

Old 07-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

You plan to wear either pair of those moon boots to work?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
jtemple
Geek

Sure. I just sit at a desk and write software all day. It's not like I'm on my feet, or having to dress up for customers.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #6
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Gotcha. I just assumed you meant something that looked like a normal pair of boots when you said casual. Not ankle length race boots.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Teknic Freestyles are comfy, but if you had trouble with the toebox on the Icons, you might have the same issue with these.

I've also got the teknic violator 2's; for a race style boot, the lower/foot part looks deceptively normal peeking out from under pants.

Really I think your best bet is just wear whatever boots you love, and leave a pair of shoes at your office to change into. Only takes a moment to change shoes at work, and that way you don't have to sacrifice comfort OR protection.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
Sure. I just sit at a desk and write software all day. It's not like I'm on my feet, or having to dress up for customers.
So just wear your regular riding boots. My A* SMX Plus boots are super comfortable! Better yet, bring shoes to work, leave them at your desk and change when you get there. That's what I always did when I worked in an office.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
jtemple
Geek

I do have a pair of Sidis. The problem is that they're designed to have the pants tucked into them.

What I was thinking about doing was getting some more kevlar/leather reinforced denim jeans to wear, and a pair of the above mentioned boots. Then, there's no clothes changing, no jeans tucked into boots, etc.

I'm trying to get away from wearing my mesh jacket & regular jeans for commuting and get myself some more protection.

For boots, right now I'm wearing a pair of Danner work boots. They're better than nothing. I want better:

Last edited by jtemple; 07-04-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Old 07-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #10
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Do you have good riding boots? Because before I spent $100 on casual shit I get a pair of good boots for $150-200. I don't have any problems getting my jeans over my boots. These are Red Route jeans BTW $69 From Cyclegear. Kevlar, knee armor, heavy denim, zips to jacket, etc.